PDA

View Full Version : QF aft cargo door left open!

FPV
27th Jun 2004, 23:06
27th June Sunday morning Sydney.
Does anyone know about a QF aircraft having to turn back whilst taxing, after they were told there cargo door was left open, or unlatched. I believe they were notified on Sydney ground, by a passing tug driver???????????? Very embarrassing if true.
:sad: :confused:

Lodown
27th Jun 2004, 23:25
Now that would have made for an interesting take-off.

tobzalp
27th Jun 2004, 23:51
Aren't there alarms for open doors? I was a bit confused after the thread about pushing back and ripping off a door on the Aerobridge and with this one am even more so. Even my dirty old ute has a light that shows if a door is open and I only have 2. Is it a part of a take off check to ensure they are all shut?

The_Cutest_of_Borg
28th Jun 2004, 02:01
Yes, there are warning lights which will tell of an open cargo door.

My bet is that it was something like an access door for the water tank for which there is no warning light.. not dangerous, but should be closed nevertheless.

Wirraway
28th Jun 2004, 04:48
Speaking of doors.......

abc.news
Monday, June 28, 2004. 1:31pm (AEST)

Qantas passengers stranded by faulty door

More than 400 Qantas passengers bound for Los Angeles remain stranded in Brisbane more than 24 hours after their flight to the United States was due to leave.

One of the passengers, Graham Gillespie, says staff spent more than an hour trying to close one of the plane's doors while passengers were on board yesterday morning and the airline is yet to fix the problem.

Speaking from the international terminal, Mr Gillespie says he has now been told the plane may be ready to leave at 10:00pm (AEST).

"People have got business arrangements and they've got holiday arrangements that just follow on from there," he said.

"It's just throwing everything into chaos but the big problem is that they are not doing anything sufficiently to try and resolve the situation.

"They're just holding us here while they play around with the plane trying to fix it."

===========================================

The_Cutest_of_Borg
28th Jun 2004, 04:52
but the big problem is that they are not doing anything sufficiently to try and resolve the situation.

Thank you Mr Gillespie and the ABC for that well informed opinion...:yuk:

Buster Hyman
28th Jun 2004, 05:18
They're just holding us here while they play around with the plane trying to fix it."
He's absolutely right! They should take off & take their chances I say!:rolleyes:

bombshell
28th Jun 2004, 06:50
"They're just holding us here while they play around with the plane trying to fix it"

Engineer to engineer:

"Hey Bruce see up there that bloke in 51k with the red face........lets really annoy him and have a game of cards!" :}

virgindriver
28th Jun 2004, 07:21
Did happen... I was on the ground in Sydney yesterday and heard a QF767 told by a some one on the ground that a cargo door was open after he pushed back. The 76 acknowleged and returned to the gate. Not sure what happened?

Allan Partridge
28th Jun 2004, 08:39
Yep, I heard it aswell, did you all do what we did and slowly move your eyes toward the overhead panel for one last comforting check?

RaTa
28th Jun 2004, 09:14
Hmmmm.....I remember whilst taxing out at SYD, an Impulse aircraft saying that I had a door open at the back, it was the one on the left about 2mtr ahead of skippy's foot, the outflow valve! :D

Anyway better safe than sorry!

itchybum
28th Jun 2004, 10:39
I thought this sort of thing only happened at J* ??? With the lowly-paid and unwashed...

Who snuck through the astronaut-selection process then?

Lurk R
28th Jun 2004, 12:31
Aren't there alarms for open doors? I was a bit confused after the thread about pushing back and ripping off a door on the Aerobridge and with this one am even more so.

Tobzalp, don't forget that the damaged aircraft still intentionally had the doors open - it was an aircraft on a neighbouring stand that was supposed to be pushed back.

matkat
28th Jun 2004, 14:42
There is no way this was a cargo door,it was obviously a service door of some type.Can just hear it on the flight deck now,door lights checked and only one open,yeah right.
The Quantas pax obviously think we have nothing better to do than just sit about doing nothing just to annoy them.:bored:

Natit
28th Jun 2004, 23:33
What is this "Quantas" you speak of? :rolleyes:

Capn Bloggs
28th Jun 2004, 23:58
Allan,
Yep, I heard it aswell, did you all do what we did and slowly move your eyes toward the overhead panel for one last comforting check?
If you flew a REAL aeroplane, the light would be on the main instrument panel blinding you!:O
"If it's a Boeing, I ain't going!"!

The_Cutest_of_Borg
29th Jun 2004, 00:07
What "a passing tug driver" believes is an open cargo door may not actually be that.

Why are some people here trying to make out that the crew, who don't close the doors, or do the final inspection, and who DO do an Eicas check after engine start, are to blame for anything untoward here?

They should be saying that this crew did the professional thing and returned to blocks to have any error that was in all probability, someone else's, checked and rectified?:confused:

Allan Partridge
29th Jun 2004, 02:40
Thanks Capn Bloggs I like that!!!

Thank God the Tug driver spoke up I say!!!!

Qduck
29th Jun 2004, 22:41
"They're just holding us here while they play around with the plane trying to fix it"

Mr. Gillespie, have a look at this and be thankful!
http://www.corazon.com/