PDA

View Full Version : Piece of carbon fibre found on moors (near to where the planes fly into Manchester)

Jinkster
27th Jun 2004, 19:53
Piece of carbon fibre found on moors (near to where the planes fly into Manchester)

Just been out walking on the moors towards Langsett, South Yorkshire and found a piece of what looks like to be Carbon Fibre, metal/ GRP that is slightly curves and has 4 bolt holes on at one pair at one side and one pair at the other side, measures approx 30cm.

Picture are available if interested, please send me a PM

Should I hand it in? Who to?

Many thanks,

Jinkster

Genghis the Engineer
29th Jun 2004, 07:20
Probably the best bet is to give AAIB (UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch) at Farnborough a call on 01252-510300. If it's an aircraft part, they should be able to identify it and kick-off a BFO (Bits Falling Off) investigation. Check it for any markings (symbols, numbers or letters) carefully before phoning them, that'll help them a lot.

G

Jinkster
8th Jul 2004, 19:24
Been in contact with the AAIB - they have no reports in the area.

Perhaps its from the military? Does anyone know the phone number or shall I treat is as a free souvenir instead of the usual cold/ flu, peat bog mud and many other delights from the area!

Many thanks for all the replies and PMs

Jinkster

10th Jul 2004, 18:59
Stick it on E-Bay. I'm sure some idiot (or the rightful owner) will put in a bid for it!

FJJP
10th Jul 2004, 22:05
Be very careful here. Some materials used in aircraft these days can be quite dangerous to handle. My advice would be to take it to the police, telling them precisely where you found it. They will have contact details for military units, to hand it over to them.