PDA

View Full Version : TSA authorized to inspect your license

weasil
27th Jun 2004, 13:16
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On February 15 the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) issued a policy directive entitled "Enforcement Sanction Guidance Policy" which provided guidance for imposing civil penalties of up to $10,000 for certain specific security violations at screening checkpoints, on Air Operations Areas (AOA), within Secure Identification Display Areas (SIDA), or at any time while entering or within a secured area. A regulation issued in 2003 by the Transportation Security Administration, 49 C.F.R. § 1540.113, requires pilots to allow inspection of their pilot and medical licenses by TSA, but the regulation does not specify which TSA personnel are so authorized to inspect licenses, what the procedure for the inspection is, what kind of training TSA personnel have to accomplish in advance of performing this function, or any other specifics.

ALPA's Legal Department conferred with TSA HQ in an attempt to clarify which individuals within TSA had inspection authority, what training those individuals received and information about the agency's procedures for inspection of pilot licenses. As a result of those conferences, TSA studied the issue and in June 2004, advised ALPA that public release of detailed information about its internal authorizations and the procedures associated with inspection of pilot credentials is not in the national interest at this time.

Complicating this issue for pilots is the fact that one of the enumerated violations specified in the TSA's recently released Sanction Guidance Table is: "Failure to allow inspection of airman certificate, authorization, FAA license (49 C.F.R. § 1540.113)." Violation of this regulation exposes violators to a fine of $1,000 to $3,000.

Because pilots are issued one or more SIDA badges, we do not expect that TSA will ask to examine airline pilot credentials; however, such a request may be made.

RECOMMENDATION: In light of this development, ALPA encourages its membership to comply with the request of any duly authorized TSA representative, to include TSA checkpoint screening personnel, to provide any of the above listed forms of identification. Should you encounter any problems resulting from TSA inspection of your credentials, please inform your MEC Security Chairman/Coordinator.

Regrettably, aviation remains a primary target of terrorist organizations. Thank you for your continued efforts in ensuring the security of U.S. and Canadian airline operations.

mutt
5th Jul 2004, 04:05
So how do they tell if I'm qualified to fly in the right seat of an airliner?

Mutt.

GlueBall
30th Jul 2004, 17:02
Like bloodhounds, they smell your breath as you pass the screening checkpoint.

NZLeardriver
30th Jul 2004, 17:18
Last year I was going through security in Mo Bay. They asked for some ID so I showed them my pilots license. It was one of the new plastic ones. The lady turned it over, looked at the picture of the Wright brothers, looked at me, looked at them, and waved me through.
I dont have a moustache and I am not balding so not sure which one she thought I was.

Ignition Override
27th Mar 2005, 04:43
NZ-that's good.

In the US we are not required to have a SIDA badge. I avoided sitting for about two hours in the class, out of principal. It seemed totally asinine that a pilot needs to watch anything to learn about ramp security. We taxi around and fly these planes to many US airports. Some topics we watch in annual training have classified info. If a ramp worker two hundred feet away is not wearing a secrity badge, then we can not be expected to notice it, all the time, unless they stand still in front of us.

If the US had many fewer bureaucracies, it is possible that the 9/11 mass murders would not have happened. The more government departments we have, the more sacred turf needs to be protected, in order to justify their (sometimes) bloated staffing.

Don't get me wrong. These departments (especially ATC) often do an excellent job, but there are so many law enforcement agencies, it just seems bizarre, in my opinion. We fly airplanes and we don't have time to look all over a person at a distance to determine if they have an id card. My normal reasons to walk down to the outside of the plane are to look at something which the FO believes could need maintenance, or to help bring up a kid's stroller. Or ask a mechanic/engineer whether we should delay boarding and for about how long (enough time to get a barbecue pork sandwich at Interstate, or a Quizno's? .:) Few sandwiches are better than smoked/seasoned Schweinfleisch).

Inuksuk
11th May 2005, 15:10
Thankfully, the buses I drive don't operate American destinations, as I have heard horror stories about TSA wannabes overstepping the mark time and time again...turning into a PR nightmare for them I understand.

So, let me get this straight - - a British Airways pilot or closer to home, an Air Canada pilot, displaying the appropriate identification of their respective issuers, when passing through a TSA checkpoint can be called upon to show them their licenses ??? Would they know what they are looking at ? From what I have heard, it is entirely doubtful...

Now, if that wasn't bad enough, they now want the passenger lists from our domestic sectors if we dip into US airspace - and let's face it, even the Toronto-Montreal shuttle passes over NY state...

Enough.

Itswindyout
17th May 2005, 06:58
I have had two experiences: first was my PADI cert card, was accepted as an airport ID...not mentioning airport.....

...and also my FAA licence was examined and the "bros" photo, was accepted as me...sans hair......

....both in the FAA area of responsability...

Earl
20th Jun 2005, 19:43
What else could you expect from an ex Burger King employee of the month!
These people have little training an no knowledge of anything.
I could just imagine one of them looking at an FAA first classs medical and seeing that it had been more than 6 months and stating that it was expired for a F/O or F/E.
Never would they have the knowledge that it is downgraded to a second class and is still valid for another 6 months.
Would you like your whopper with cheese or go large with the fries and drink is all they know!

aeronautic1
4th Jul 2005, 02:20
That's what I call them. RETREADS.

TSA - Thousands Standing Around.

Here's a little fun I like to have with them. When they ask me to unbuckle my belt I whisper, "if you want me to undo my zipper, you'll have to give me a kiss first."

After the wand has passed in front og my genitalia without buzzing I state, that God I didn't wear my IUD today."

You should see their blank vapid stares.