PDA

View Full Version : mam forum

andyman_82
27th Jun 2004, 12:29
hi guys just wondering how you all went with MAM interviews (panel)...what happened with the previous MAM post?

Iguanahead
28th Jun 2004, 03:59
Hi Andyman,

I was wondering what happened to the other one too?

Can anyone shed some light on that?

Anyway Fridays interview went well for me, I think. :uhoh:

Lots of questions about personal experiences and relating them to the job.

Hopefully we will all hear something this week.

Fingers crossd for us all.:ok:

andyman_82
28th Jun 2004, 05:33
hey all,

I heard the recruiters this round were very challenging. Anyone want to shed some light as to why they do this ? Or is it just a case of this is the 100th interview this week I cant wait to finish these.

Summa
29th Jun 2004, 02:47
Has anyone heard anything in regards to the MAM interviews?
Anyones referee's been called?

I hate this waiting....

marky@home
29th Jun 2004, 03:10
No nothing as yet.

Though it was a pretty ordinary interview for me so I am not holding out much hope. It wasn't a bad interview...just average and I don't think that will cut it. Somethings I should and should not have said. Oh well...the experience I guess.

Yeah, did think that the interviewers were a bit challenging. They didn't give very much and they really laboured on some points.

Hopefully in the next couple of days...

best of luck!

Bizzi_Boi
30th Jun 2004, 00:59
Hi fellow MAM candidates,

Well no news here either as of yet.

Also my referee's have not heard from them either. I guess the shear number of candidates that they had to process is what might be taking the time.

The waiting game is painful isn't ?

I guess it's now Wednesday as I post this, surely we will hear by Friday. Justa simple yes or no, three bags full would be nice.

Good luck all.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

marky@home
30th Jun 2004, 04:40
Hey guys,

Just got an e-mail from someone at MAM telling me that they were still processing my application and that they would contact me within TWO weeks! As if this isn't painful enough!

Problem is there is a great short term contract for six weeks that I was planning on taking up if MAM fell through but now I am in the deep! Not sure what to do anymore!

What a pain! Anyone else hear anything?

Cheers,
Mark

nickmelb
30th Jun 2004, 04:47
hey boyz n girls

I got an email today saying that they arestill looking at my application.

Did anyone else get this one?

Summa
30th Jun 2004, 04:58
Hey there,

Yep, i just got the same email.
I just love this waiting (:

Bizzi_Boi
30th Jun 2004, 06:12
Hey there PPRUNE'rs,

I too got the same e-mail from MAM.

I guess we have to sit and wait to hear if anyone else got a different e-mail or if this is set standard.

At least we are in the same boat / plane (smirk). Well let's hope WE all get on the same plane at least.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

nikkib
30th Jun 2004, 07:28
I got the same too! This must be a standard email.
:p

Iguanahead
30th Jun 2004, 08:29
Yipeee. Looks like I'm joining you on that same plane trip, Bizzi_Boi. :p

We have the destination now we just need a landing slot. Ha ha.

Stay busy guys, it helps the pain of waiting, and then of course there is alcohol. :E

andyman_82
30th Jun 2004, 13:22
Good luck everyone with your applications. Im sure you will all do fine, its not the be all end all if you don't make it anyway!

Hope you all are successful with your future endevours and may you all upgrade me to first class if you are ever on my flights
xxx
:ok:

Bizzi_Boi
1st Jul 2004, 00:32
Well,

Seems we all have the 2 week wait to endure.

I think Iguanahead is right, keep yourself busy and here are my tips :

1. Stop drawing pictures of a white kangaroo on a red background.

2. Avoid setting your lounge room up with the chairs looking like an aircraft cabin.

3. When travelling in the car avoid checking if everyone has their seatbelts fastened and that they have stowed their hand luggage.

4. Try not to be seen following other flight attendants at the airport.

I think if you follow this 4 step program you may find the wait not as painful or long. But if you find yourself thinking about the wait, then combine all 4 steps above as in the end it will still keep you busy.

* This was a handy tip advert brought to by Bizzi_Boi *

Cheers.

nickmelb
1st Jul 2004, 01:13
stop walking up and down the hallway @ home, pushing a pretend trolley, and serving drinks to passengers

stop harassing the staff @ the local hospital, and try to avoid using their oxygen tanks to show people how to use it

stop dreaming that you are on board a turbulent aircraft, when really your just standing on a tram going to work in the city

stop harrassing the poor ladies @ the local opportunity shop for "vintage" cabin crew uniforms

and for god sake stop standing in the middle of the local intersection, and directing traffic to their exits!!!!

Sky_hi!
1st Jul 2004, 01:40
hahahahahah... :p

I love it guys

Jokes are a great distraction keep em coming!

andyman_82
1st Jul 2004, 15:48
nick lol u are so funny!

stop practicing pointing where the emergency exits are when youare standing infront of the mirror in the bathroom

Bizzi_Boi
2nd Jul 2004, 06:40
Haha,

Okay okay okay, you caught me lining up my dinning table chairs and walking down the centre with a fake smile. !! Just kidding.

Just thought I would post an update, as it seems my referree's have been contacted this arvo for a 20 minute chat about me and my referree's said they felt like they were going for the job themselves.

Oh well such is life, good to know there is movement at MAM central I guess. Let's all pray it's movement in a good direction.

Now I have to go back to my dinning room and put all the chairs back around the table. Enough playtime I think.

And the wise words of my mother, patience is a virtue.

** Another phrase to ponder, from Bizzi_Boi **

nickmelb
2nd Jul 2004, 06:42
hey bizzi boi

well done !

oh i better go, looks like the traffic wants to go in the other direction

nearly caused an accident on the local main road the other day, started day dreamin LOL:= :sad:

Elle
2nd Jul 2004, 08:44
Well done Bizzi_Boi

I doubt very much they contact all referees...

Well dont, you have got it, no doubt ever!!!!!

Bizzi_Boi
2nd Jul 2004, 14:44
Thanks Elle,

You and others have been great motivation to see this process thru.

In fact the whole forum is motivation to read how ppl never have given up in the quest to live their dream.

Hopefully only a few more days, and we will all know what is in store or inflight.

Cheers.

Z Force
2nd Jul 2004, 22:15
A few questions.
1. Has anybody been told they were unsuccessful?
2. Has anyone else had their referee's called?
3. What city did you do your selection in Bizzi_Boy (and congrats too)?

Iguanahead
2nd Jul 2004, 22:46
I have had my references checked also.

Z Force I am in Sydney if that helps you.

Fingers crossed everybody, keep smilng. :ok:

Bizzi_Boi
2nd Jul 2004, 23:23
Hi Z Force,

I also attended the SYD panel interviews.

Which panel did you attend ?

Cheers.

Z Force
3rd Jul 2004, 00:12
A friend of mine had her interview in Melbourne last Saturday and hasn't heard anything yet. When did you have your interview?

Gomam
5th Jul 2004, 05:59
Has anyone in Melbourne heard anything?

Bizzi_Boi
5th Jul 2004, 06:36
No news yet other than my reference check.

Only a few ppl are have posted that they had the reference check, so not sure if others have or haven't.

I think we should hear in the next day to be honest.

Cheers.

Z Force
5th Jul 2004, 09:36
When were the Sydney interviews held?

Bizzi_Boi
5th Jul 2004, 10:50
From what I understand the SYD interviews were held at the same time of the MEL interviews.

Someone from the the MEL interviews said they haven't heard of ppl's references being contacted.

So who knows what is going on.

Elle
6th Jul 2004, 00:25
Iguanahead knew you would get through too, well done. I know it's not all confirmed yet but it will be. :D

Z Force
6th Jul 2004, 00:42
Bizzi, my friends was on the 26th. What date was your interview held?

qfcabin
6th Jul 2004, 07:01
Some things don't change..when I started in QF many years ago I was interviewed in June, accepted in November with a promise of starting training in three weeks...left my previous job and started training in????JUNE! So hang in there!

Alotta
7th Jul 2004, 11:08
I have also had a reference check from Sydney interviews but nothing else.
Apparently they finished all panels just the other day so maybe we all might here something really soon :O

nikkib
7th Jul 2004, 12:41
Hey guys, anyone heard any movement in Melbourne yet? Reference checks or anything?
:confused:

NZKID
7th Jul 2004, 23:07
Hi there every one has anyone heard any thing more about BNE interviews
I have had the panel 2 on 1 interview last SAT and have had any email saying they will contact me in about 2 weeks.
My worry is if I was offered a position to take it or not as I would be giving up a position with JET* on the ground .......
BUT FLYING is my passion its what I have wanted for so long but would I get enough work to live on hmm

ANY THOUGHTS???

Bizzi_Boi
7th Jul 2004, 23:25
Well it seems we are all in the same boat errr 'plane'. Waiting to hear back from MAM.

Some of us appear to have had ref checks, others still not sure.

NZKID
The 2 week wait is what most of us got in an email, you refer to your position on the ground with JQ and how your not sure what to do if offered a position I am assuming for financial reasons.

But the one word you use is 'passion' and you can't discount that but of course passion will not get you out of hot water quickly if you run into financial strife. For many of us, I think we are in the same situation that we have always wanted to fly and here is an opportunity but it is casual. And then there are others who want casual work due to other commitments and they are more than likely in a financial situation to do it.

I do here your worries NZKID, because they are mine as well. But I GUESS you can't really start to weigh it up seriously until an offer of employment arrives.

Best of luck and we are all sitting patiently aren't we, MAM candidates ? ;)

Cheers.

Sky_hi!
8th Jul 2004, 03:14
Hi there Everyone :D

I too have recieived the 'Sorry for the delay give us 2 weeks' email. But after my panel interview the lady told me that it was likely i would hear back Monday week (that was last Sat)....so who knows? I know my references haven't been checked yet though.

What did everyone think of the personality test? As if you would answer True to questions like 'I think I'm a failure' .....come on.

NZKID: HELLO!!! finally i have found a fellow Queenslander amongst all these Sydneysiders and Melbournites (nothing against you guys, you are all beautiful) Anyway I had my interview on Saturday too. Let me know if you hear anything back! Goodluck.

I know what you mean about having to make some decisions. I have been going through the interview process with Jetstar at the same time. I have had so many interviews in the last 3 weeks I'm about to collapse!! Hopefully I will be offered a job with someone at the end of this :\

Goodluck everyone xox

OZcabincrew
8th Jul 2004, 03:44
Hi Guys!!!

A friend of mine went through her panel interview in Perth last Friday and as far as i know, there has been no email or anything as yet. However i believe the Perth interviews took place after the ones over east? Who conducted your interviews? In Perth they were held by Adecco in the QF Cabin Crew Base, my friend was given the impression by Adecco that they couldn't be bothered doing the interview properly and were very sloppy with it all???

Good luck
OZ

overhere
8th Jul 2004, 04:00
Hang on what is Adecco doing interviewing people in PER? They only have bases in AKL and BKK and a totally seperate to MAM.

Sky_hi!
8th Jul 2004, 04:47
BNE interviews were held on Sat the 3rd. I know our group interviews were held by a combination of MAM staff, Qantas, and Adecco staff. In my panel interview i know for sure one staff member was from Adecco and I was unsure of the other. They were both very professional in the way they handled the interview. Theres my 2 cents...

nickmelb
8th Jul 2004, 05:52
hey fellow melbourne people,

and hello to everyone else! looks like the reference checks have started in Melbourne. An old boss of mine rang to tell me that he had qf on the fone this afternoon. He wouldnt tell me anything, but said he had a chat with them.

Looks like the ball is rolling here now, im sure BNE and PER people will start soon

good luck out there boyz n girls

nikkib
8th Jul 2004, 08:23
Hello everyone... My references have been checked too!
Woohoo!! Good luck to everyone else!!

Cheers Nikki

Gone U/S
9th Jul 2004, 10:37
Hey guys

First of all congratulations to all those who have had the reference checks and are waiting on the call from QF HR.

I am in the same boat BUT for another kind of job within Qantas.

Just wondering if you guys can give me an indication of how your refernce checks were carried out.

For me we were told to provide three reference checks however only one was contacted.... am trying to work out whether this is a good or a bad thing.

Any inputs into how your reference checks were carried out would be much appreciated. For example, was if QF that reference checked (or MAM)?? how many referees did you have to provide and how many did they have to ring.

Thanks again and best of luck to you all :ok:

Iguanahead
9th Jul 2004, 20:53
Hi Gone U/S,

We had to have 2 references of management level. But we could have also put other business references if we wanted to. Both referees have been called.

As we are being hired ( hopefully ) by a company called Mam for contract work to QF it might be different to what your requirements are.

I think you should take it as a positive they only ckecked one. Perhaps they only had to check off the reference as a formality because they already knew you were suitable for the job.

Good luck with it all and let us know how you go, I have my fingers crossed for you. :ok:

Iguanahead
11th Jul 2004, 11:27
Tick tock, tick tock, can this clock go any faster?

Talk about being put in a holding pattern. Fine if you end up in the destination you want. But if you don't.......

Ah patience my friends is a virtue, does anyone know where I can buy some? :\

Gone U/S
11th Jul 2004, 13:15
Is that not an old ABBA song or something like that??

Oh they must never have gone for a job where the wait was so excruciating ...

:*

Everyone just says to me that no news is good news ... how so last year is that comment. I prefer to say that no news is bad for my complexion .... i have discovered pimples again!! :( :( :sad:

Hopefully we will all have some news to share soon - once again good luck to everyone who has got so far and hopefully our flights will come into land on the correct runway. :ok:

Bizzi_Boi
12th Jul 2004, 05:52
Hey 'gone u/s' and others relating to MAM.

I think we all need to get a medal in patience ! ! !

I have never had to wait for anything more than this other than waiting for Santa Claus to make his journey from the north pole.

In fact I think the waiting has got to a stage that it's become annoying and from speaking to others, some people have given up on the idea and I tell you..........as each day passes I'm not sure I should hold my breath anymore.

A bit disappointing really, I think this is a sign that it's a bit disorganised. I will not to be too harsh, but I think most would agree the wait can only be caused by delays with MAM and QF, especially given orginally during interviews they did say they will let us know in 4-5 days. After that email from MAM saying we had to wait another 2 weeks, well it was clear something was not right.

But hey, we are ALL positive wannabes. So fingers crossed, what day is today ? haha

Keep the lines of motivation open !!

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

RaverFlaver
12th Jul 2004, 06:07
2 weeks compared to 18 months at QF as a lot of other's have expereinced.......I'm sure you will be able to hang in a few more days guys......

Have a great day and hope ya's hear soon :)

Bizzi_Boi
12th Jul 2004, 06:36
RaverFlaver,

A very vaild comment, but I suppose 2 things need to be considered :

1. Most ppl incl. myself were told it would take 4-5 days
2. It's a casual position.

And with regard to point 2, I know that wannabes should not see this as any less important nor should Qantas but it should make the whole exercise a lot quicker. Given the fact they have a vacancy pool, they know when they are going to run the training school, and internally I have been told they have already set everything up incl. a dedicated team for the uniform production.

The thing is, no one has been told to complete their medical or security check yet. This still has to be done so I think the date MAM said of the last week of July being the training date is also going to go out the window.

As said above, your point is very valid RaverFlaver and your patience for waiting 18 months must be noted. But were you ever told face to face and via email of the time it would take ?

Anyway, I better get down from my soap box before that A330 shears my head off passsing over with his landing gear.

:ugh:

wing8
12th Jul 2004, 08:56
Hello patient ones........

I know the feeling,did it some time ago but waited much longer,this I think is not the case for you lot.....you are nearly there....
QF are very keen to commence training schools asap due to shortages in Short-haul and have told us they are putting you through many training schools commencing as early as the end of this month with more in August so when you get that phone call-enjoy it!

Am sorry I haven't psoted earlier for info but if any of you have any casual related questions that Qf/MAM havent answered,ask away,I am a casual currently on full time contract(I started in the last intake around Christmas).

Things have changed,and keep on changing &my advice is enjoy the ride as it's a great job if you avoid getting sucked in to all the negativity and gloom that comes with change-if you don't become obssessed with the "will we ever be full-time"thing,you will realise how lucky you are to have come this far-well done!

Someone told me this when I went through training...when you come across the occasional negativity,whingeing,complaining etc-think back to how you felt when you got(or in your case get)the call to say "you made it"-hold on to that....

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O

Bizzi_Boi
12th Jul 2004, 09:38
Great words of encourgement Wing8 !

I guess we have been waiting to hear from someone working with MAM.

Thanks again.

RaverFlaver
12th Jul 2004, 13:13
Heya Bizzi Boi,

No I haven't been told any of that as I was never one of the candidates that was on the QF shortlist (or should I say long list)!

Was just mentioning it in a general perspective.

No harm or stab at your post was intedned at all :)

I understand your point of veiw too, and share that with you.

Have a great night!

Raver :)

marky@home
13th Jul 2004, 00:59
Hey guys,

Just a quick question- does anyone know if we are meant to be waiting for a phone call or an e-mail? Heading o/s for a couple of days on Friday so I will be out of phone contact...or maybe the dreaded letter in the mail?!

Only a couple more days to go....hang in there!

Iguanahead
13th Jul 2004, 03:51
Hi wing8,

Thanks so much for posting and offering your insight. I have heaps of questions as so far we haven't been given any info on what to expect except that it will definitely be casual and will definitely not lead to full time employment with QF.

So here goes:

How does it work as far as availability etc?
Do you have a minimum amount of hours you have to be available for?
Or a minimum number of days?
How much notice do you get of a duty beforehand?
Whats the basic take home pay ( I know this is hard as hours are not guaranteed )?
Or the basic hourly rate of pay?
How long is training? Is it paid?
And when you are finished do you go online with a trainer for their roster?

OK I'll leave you alone now. I'm sorry it's a lot but I like to have my bases covered and I would feel a lot more comfortable about an offer ( if I get one ) knowing the answer to these questions.

Thanks again, I'm sure there are many more like me looking forward to you reply.

marky@home,

I think it will be by email if that was the way you had been contacted previously.

Lucky you heading off O/S.

Enjoy.:cool:

Bizzi_Boi
13th Jul 2004, 21:52
Hi ppls,

Iguanahead, seems we lost our bet again as to when we thought MAM would be contact us with good or bad news. ha ha

Oh well, do you want to bet again ? ;)

You have asked some great questions of Wing8 and I look forward to the response for sure.

In the meantime, people may be interested in reading the :

AUSTRALIAN INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS COMMISSION

Workplace Relations Act 1996
s.170LJ Agreement with organisations of employees (Division 2)

For the Flight Attendants' Association of Australia and Maurice Alexander Management Pty Ltd.

This document details -

Accommodation, Daily Traveling Allowance and Transport, Meals and Disability Allowance - Away from Home Base, Drafting, Payment - Base Hourly Rate, etc.

The document can be accessed via the following link :

Enterprise Agreement 2003 (http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/View.ASP?docid=232704&query=(MAURICE%20ALEXANDER%20MANAGEMENT)&quickview=Y&page=whole)

I'm sure you will make your self a coffee and be in for a good read, but make sure you have time it's a very comprehensive doc.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi ;)

Iguanahead
13th Jul 2004, 23:22
Hi Bizzi_Boi,

Thanks for that info and also to OzCabincrew for the pm.

Yes I have changed my bet, but I've decided to keep it secret so that when they finally call I can say I knew it and win the bet! I told you I'm losing it. :bored:

Lets hope today is the day.

Good luck everyone.

Elle
14th Jul 2004, 00:03
=============================================

So here goes:

How does it work as far as availability etc?
Do you have a minimum amount of hours you have to be available for?
Or a minimum number of days?
How much notice do you get of a duty beforehand?
Whats the basic take home pay ( I know this is hard as hours are not guaranteed )?
Or the basic hourly rate of pay?
How long is training? Is it paid?
And when you are finished do you go online with a trainer for their roster?
=============================================

Hi Iguanahead (you are too pretty for that name haha) and Mista didn't you all ask these questions at the Panel interview? Or didn't anything about all that come up?

I just know I would have asked a lot of those questions as they are all good, valid and rather important things you need to know.

Just thought I would ask and I hope you all don't have to wait much longer to start

:D

marky@home
14th Jul 2004, 01:32
Well hey guys...

Think I may have ruined any chance I have of getting through!

Went to a party last night and someone handed round what looked like shortbread...took two bited before realised it was a hash cookie!

Burst into tears...no kidding! Just finished uni and also have a couple of government grad programs in the offing where I also have to pass security/medical clearances...

Isn't it funny how your life can turn around in a matter of minutes...

No idea what I am going to do....what a horror story.

Down and out...

Mark

Iguanahead
14th Jul 2004, 03:43
Hi Elle,

You're too kind girlfriend! You should see me after a few drinks though, then I'm much more like an Iguana!

I know I should have asked all these questions at the panel interview but I was hard pressed just giving them the answers to their questions. When it came my turn I just wanted outta there. Run Forrest ruuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

Anyway as usual I am being a tad anal and trying to get all the clues first as I'm still deciding if I get the offer whether to take it.

Time will tell. :hmm:

Bizzi_Boi
14th Jul 2004, 10:53
Hahaha @ Elle,

Very true, Iguanahead is far too pretty to have a nickname as that, but I'm sure she has a good reason behind the name.

But hey, where's the comments about my look huh Elle ? You and Iguanahead know what Bizzi_Boi looks like :p

With regard to your question Elle, in the interview it went so fast and so many questions, to be honest was not much chance to ask all those questions and the only question I had to ask them was about if they understood one of my answers. *rolls eyes*

But I do know a MAM casual through another full time flight attendant who helped answer some of my questions and also the WageNet document is rather comprehensive.

P.S Hope your well Elle, now get and answer my pvt I sent you regarding your news. hahaha...... *smirk*

Elle
14th Jul 2004, 11:35
Oh Mista, youre gorgeous, no really perfect for the role you are going for!!!!

Well as for me well half an hour ago I heard the news I have been waiting for and I'm heading to the Middle East in August !!!!

I am so excited, nervous, excited, excited.... arrrrggghhhhhh

Geez what to pack....

Well 6 weeks and I'm up up and away!!!!

Geez I've never been so excited in my life!!!!!
:D :D :D

Bizzi_Boi
14th Jul 2004, 12:14
Well you BIG stunner Elle,

Thanks but I think your going to be a star in the Middle East and in the sky.

Sad we won't be working together at QF but I know your dream has come true.

From the desire and passion of starting by applying to MAM to now what you have got. Well done.

I think your approach and passion has made it all pay off.

Good luck, and don't forget your aussie boi who will hopefully be serving coffee up and down the aisle of jet with a kanga on the back.

Ciao, and CONGRATS.

Gomam
15th Jul 2004, 07:10
The waiting is getting a little tiring.!

I can understand people waiting for 18 months, but these MAM people said they would be in touch by yesterday.

Even an email to say "hey we are still at it, contact you within 10 days" would be nice!

Bizzi_Boi
15th Jul 2004, 21:42
I totally agree, the waiting has become in my words, 'painful'.

Some form of contact during this time would have been good to at least know where we are all at.

Such as : " We wish to inform you that your application has successfully made it the shortlist of candidates, we will endeavour to contact you by X date with a final decision on your application....."

I mean, at least some form of contact would have at least told you if your in with a chance, or if you have been sitting around waiting for a NO. Time makes the human brain think too much and I'm sure a lot of us have thought both positive and negative through this waiting period. But it looks like the 2 week wait has deadlined today.

But if we don't hear from them, it's not like we are not used to waiting. I will just continue to do the following to ease the pain :

1. Keep drawing pictures of a white kangaroo on a red triangle.
2. Annoying my flat mate by organising the lounge room like a aircraft cabin.
3. Requesting that pax in my car fasten their seatbelts and switch their mobile devices off prior to leaving the street curb.

At least that way I am allowing others to feel the pain, see I'm sharing and that's a good attribute isn't it ? :D

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

Gone U/S
16th Jul 2004, 03:20
Ok so for me and Qantas there has now been over a 3 week turnaround since I had my final interview and still no word either way.

I have now made up a big excuse for this in my head ....

Qantas is currently starting a television program called "Join the Roo" It is an 8 part series joining the lives of candidates in their progress towards a career within the airline.

The series is currently in production and they are waiting for an air-date. On the final night of the show they are set to ring up all candidates and let them know the final outcome of their application.

Ok .. this may be a totally far fetched idea - but hey we had that show "The Apprentice" ... i reckon it could be a money maker for the airline ..

JUST goes to show what you can come up with when the mind starts to ponder your status of the application... any other ideas goin on out there in the departure lounge???

Hope u all manage to have a good weekend and enjoy the delayed departure.

Me
xx

Bizzi_Boi
16th Jul 2004, 05:05
Hey Gone U/S

I think you might be onto something with the TV concept, and if QF is not making a TV show then I think at the end of all this we should make one just for our sanity.

I feel like I'm in the Truman show right now. !

It's 3pm and still no news. I'm tempted to send MAM an email. Maybe due to my insanity I could just send the email to myself.

Now, who appears to be going crazy ? *smirk

marky@home
16th Jul 2004, 05:19
Hey Bizzi...

I shot them off a quick e-mail yesterday afternoon to let them know that I am overseas and asked them if they would get back to us by e-mail or phone....

No reply!

Slack huh?

Oh well....guess we'll just have to keep on waiting!

Bizzi_Boi
16th Jul 2004, 05:26
Oh okay,

Thanks for letting us know. So in other words, don't bother.

Don't call us, we'll call you trick. "said in Maxwell Smart voice".

Well enjoy your time overseas, let's hope you come home to a job with MAM.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

nikkib
16th Jul 2004, 11:32
Hey everyone! I got the phone call today!! Im in whoohoo!!
I start training next wednesday anyone else in Mel attending??
My dream has finally come true, im the happiest girl in the world. Live your dream and never give up! Good luck to everyone else.

LOVE

NIKKI
:p :p :p

andyman_82
16th Jul 2004, 13:22
WELL DONE NIKKI ! CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING THROUGH!

YOU DESERVE THIS BREAK! I AM SO GLAD YOU GOT IN !! ALL THE BEST FOR TRAINING! LOVE TO HEAR HOW IT ALL GOES!

BIG KISS!

ANDY!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY NIKKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nickmelb
16th Jul 2004, 13:25
Nikki!

Well done hunny, wohoooooo for you, best of luck in training and keep us updated babe

:p :p :p :p :p :p

Iguanahead
16th Jul 2004, 23:16
Hey Elle,

Big, big, big congratulations to you! Fantastic news of your new career in the middle east, how exotic. They always take the glamours. Have the time of your life, enjoy every minute and remember to keep in touch with us over here to let us know how you are going.

NikkiB, well done to you too. Looks like Melbourne is heating up down there guys, hope more of you hear the good news soon. Next Wednesday for training, my goodness that is fast. Only 4 more sleeps for you and you'll be living the dream.

Meanwhile back at the ranch Iguanahead and Bizzi_Boi have set up their own airline in Bizzi's lounge and are arming doors to set off for glamorous destinations. What exactly is in this cocktail Bizzi?
:uhoh:

nickmelb
17th Jul 2004, 00:08
Nikki

Looks like i will be seeing you on Wednesday! I just got a call this morning advising me that I start training!

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

13 interviews later, and 2 1/2 years later

What a way to start the weekend, best of luck to everyone out there. Im in total shock

:O :O :O :O

nikkib
17th Jul 2004, 02:03
Well done Nick!! woohoo. Looks like I will be seeing you on Wednesday!. Thank you Andy sweetie and everyone for congratulating me. Im 21yrs old and have attended 3 Virgin assesment days have never made it to the panel interview and Qantas hires me first go.. hmm. My advice would be , be honest, be yourself and never give up. Good luck to everyone else.

LOVE

NIKKI :p :p :p

Z Force
17th Jul 2004, 02:46
Congratulations to those that were successful. I have a couple of questions.
When did you get the nod to do a medical?
Has anybody else that has been referenced checked in Melbourne not heard yet?
Has anybody who was referenced checked missed out on a position?

Sky_hi!
17th Jul 2004, 07:31
YYYYYYAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!!!

Congratualtions Guys!

Well done.

sooo excited for you all

:}

Bizzi_Boi
17th Jul 2004, 08:16
Congratulations !!

Well done to the new MEL crew. You have all done very well, I bet your all OVER the moon and you can tell from your postings to the forum. I tell you this is all great, especially for those who have tried time and time again to join the sky.

I wish you all the best of luck with your training and because of your determination to get the job, you will be stars in the sky for sure.

As for us Sydney MAM candidates, I have not heard of anyone getting a call. So not sure if we can fly down and join you guys for a celebration drink just yet. ;)

Just a few questions ? When did you get asked to do a medical ?

I'm a bit lost, and it's such short notice as well. I mean hey it's great only a few more days and YAY your training but I fear that the notice would be too short for me. But hey I will cross that bridge if I get a GREEN light I guess. hahaha

Again well done !. Let's hope we see you in the sky real soon.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

andyman_82
18th Jul 2004, 03:44
OMG NICK! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU GOT IN THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WISH U AND NIKKI THE BEST OF LUCK AT TRAINING! YOU GUYS DESERVE IT !!

WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
GOOOOOOOOO NICK YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SO HAPPY FOR THE BOTH OF YOU!! (YOU AND NIKKI)

WISH I WAS STARTING THE SAME TRAINING AS YOU GUYS! AHH WELL ALL IN GOOD TIME! CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN! I AM SO WRAPPED FOR THE BOTH OF YOU! !!!!!!!:O :O :O :O :O :O

Z Force
18th Jul 2004, 05:08
For those that are starting on Wednesday, when did you do your interviews?

OZcabincrew
18th Jul 2004, 08:20
Hi Guys!

Congratulations to all of those who got in and fingers crossed for those who are still waiting. All i can say is as i'm sure you've heard before, be prepared for the training! I knew it would be difficult, but it was a different difficult to what i expected. My training group spent three and a half weeks in Melbourne (we're Perth based) and there were times where we were all sitting with our heads on the table at 1 or 2 o'clock in the morning repeatedly saying "my brain just can't take any more in!" after trying to memorize a whole heap of stuff. I remember one of the girls in our group is a dancer and ended up having to make a dance to help her remember emergency drills etc, so it was funny seeing her sitting at her desk when we were doing the final exam doing the dance to herself so she could write the drill out!!!!!! Now when we look back at it and look at photos etc, it was such a good time! Make sure you take your cameras and if you want to take a photo, ask your instructor first as there's obviosuly areas you can't take photos. Most of all, have a fantastic time, it's the best, but just be prepared for some studying and most importantly, memorising!!!!! It's only as hard as you want to make it! If any of you have any questions on the training, pm me, i went through the QF training last March & will be happy to try and answer your questions

well done again!
Oz

Iguanahead
18th Jul 2004, 08:32
Congratulations nickmel,

See the wait was worth it my friend. Patience truly is a virtue.

Have a fantastic time and keep us in touch on how you're going.

Good luck and cheers to you, I'm having a bevvy to celebrate.:ok:

nikkib
18th Jul 2004, 08:55
Hello... To anwser all your questions I went for the Melbourne panel three weeks ago same time Syd went for theres. We haven't done our medical yet we will do that once training commences. Hopefully Sydney should hear sometime soon, what im gathereing is Sydney training schools are commencing later.

Best of luck

Bizzi_Boi
19th Jul 2004, 08:51
WOOOOWWWEEEE

Well a GREEN LIGHT was given to me today from MAM, that I start my training in August.

Can someone now slap me and tell me stop calling people on my mobile phone !!

I got called today with this great news, and what a relief to finally know the news. It still has not hit me, and all that I have dreamt of since I was a kid is about to come true.

So, if you see a guy bouncing off the walls and helping people by carrying their groceries to their cars then it's more than likely me !!

Hope the rest of you get the same great news and can celebrate with me.

Looking forward to hearing back from all those that have supported me from day one.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

nikkib
19th Jul 2004, 09:58
CONGRATULATIONS!! BIZZI BOI!!!!!:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Im very happy for you!!!... hope to see you in the air soon :O

LOVE

NIKKI

Bizzi_Boi
19th Jul 2004, 10:02
Thanks Nikkib,

Congratulations to you too !!

I'm certain we will see each other in the sky now for sure.

How long does it take to go over the shock ? hahaha

It's like it's a dream, I'm sitting here online going........wow..then .....oh wow.....

I guess you know that feeling.

All the best with your training !!

Cheers.

nickmelb
19th Jul 2004, 10:45
bizzi!

what did i tell u!

congratulations and job well done!

its weird u know, it hits u and its like WOW....then i forget about it and hours later realise I start training in a few days. I get all excited again! hahahahahahahaha

heres hoping we all pass with flying colors, and learn everything we need to know to be professionals in our field!

well done!:ok: :ok: :ok: :E :8

Flying_Sarah747
19th Jul 2004, 17:49
Well done everybody! Reading your posts have helped make my spirits higher. I've been a bit (understatement!!!) home sick lately in the UK, but it's made me remember how I felt 6 months ago when BA gave me the go ahead. I used to be in the galley, and I'd have to keep looking at my name badge that said
"Sarah - Cabin Crew"
to believe that it was actually true!

Training is great, soooo much fun, I'm sure you'll all have a great time, and as OZcabincrew said, definately take your cameras, it's so good looking back at the photos! :)

Bizzi_Boi
19th Jul 2004, 21:08
Hey Flying_Sarah747,

Thanks for the post. I guess several times I have read in other threads your postings about life in the UK and you being homesick. But also read how you love your job and your focus is with your dream.

I guess you made me realise as well that the experience of getting a GREEN light go ahead from an airline is the most adrenaline rushed moment I have had. And if only I could bottle this feeling, and remember it when I am eventually flying.

Sadly I see cabin crew and actually know of a few who seem to forget how lucky they really are and also how painful it was to get their wings. The attitude and so forth that makes you wonder why they tried to fly in the first place. I know the job is not easy and is taxing on the body and mind. But I think as you said in your in your post :

".........but it's made me remember how I felt 6 months ago when BA gave me the go ahead. I used to be in the galley, and I'd have to keep looking at my name badge that said"Sarah - Cabin Crew"to believe that it was actually true!

It makes you realise just how lucky and well 'special' you are to be in the job and to do what you have dreamt about.

Well to all the MAM candidates, all the best to those of you who will hopefully get a phone call with some great news today. Just hold out a bit longer and I hope to see you in the sky helping me at the cart flying somewhere over this great brown land we call home. (How tacky did that just sound??, I had to resist deleting, I tell you these happy hormones are making me bounce off the walls..... lol ).

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

Iguanahead
19th Jul 2004, 22:32
Wooohoooo! Bizzi's gonna flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

And won't you look gorgeous in the QF uniform. :cool:

Congratulations to you my friend. You've done so well and really they are the lucky ones to have you.

Your dedication and perserverence have paid off, and QF and their pax will reap the benefits.

You don't need luck, you have all the skills, just enjoy each day as it comes.

Hopefully I will be up there with you one day, we'll see what this week brings.

Cheers to you Bizzi and all the new recruits, happy travelling to you all. :ok:

Summa
20th Jul 2004, 00:50
Guess who just got a call and is joining training tomorrow?
Ha...You will never guess!!!! (: (: (:

Congratulations to everyone who just got through & good luck to those who are waiting for phone calls!!

See you Melbourne folks at training tomorrow!!!!;)

WOOOOHOOOOOO

:D :D :D

nickmelb
20th Jul 2004, 01:41
summa!

well done chicky

ive sent u an email, told u not to worry!

Summa
20th Jul 2004, 02:46
Hiya Nick,

Thx matey, :ok:

talk about crazy last minute kinda thing...but who cares...i am going to training tomorrow... :D

Will check email...see you tomorrow..

;)

andyman_82
20th Jul 2004, 04:53
spread ur wings and prepare to fly!

WELL DONE TO SUMMA!

WOHOHOHOHOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YOU GO GIRL!!!!

IM SO HAPPY FOR EVERYONE WHO HAS GOTTEN INTO QF MAM

YOU GUYS ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY AND WELL DONE TO YOU ALL

Summa
20th Jul 2004, 12:55
Ooohhh...thx Andyman...your a sweetie!!
I knew it was just around the corner..... i just didnt know where the bloody corner was!!

Good luck next week.. keep me posted..

;)

Bizzi_Boi
20th Jul 2004, 22:11
Congrat's to you too Summa,

It's such a weird feeling isn't to know your on the way to get your wings.

Iguanahead, thank you so much for you constant emails and support in the forum as well as the pep talks in the phone, and you know I can't wait to be dressed in that uniform with my cheesy grin and lop sided dimples. *smirk*

I do hope you hear something today and then I can rest easy knowing we will study together.

Just a thought for those of you who have not heard. I am guessing it has to do with the amount of notice you gave on your application. What I'm referring to is, the part that stated how many weeks notice you had to give your current employer. The reason I think this could be delaying things is because of the people I know who had to give upto 4 weeks notice, they seem to have been notified, but people who didn't have much notice seem not to have been called. I can only assume this is due to the fact they want to make sure they have allocated for everyone and then people with short notice they can slot in where gaps are in the numbers for the training school.

Just a thought !.

Well Bizzi_Boi has another day at the office to attend, and I tell you it's not going to be easy driving to the office for the next weeks before I start with MAM. I gave in my resignation yesterday and instantly had a crowd of staff wanting to know about how, where, when, and a few faces of shock and I guessing a few faces of envy. But it's all good !.

Good luck people, keep in touch :D

Cheers.

Z Force
21st Jul 2004, 03:16
My friend got the nod today and starts Monday

marky@home
21st Jul 2004, 03:27
Guys has anyone heard of not getting a position?

OZcabincrew
21st Jul 2004, 10:50
Hi guys!!!!

I know that feeling too!!! Well done to everyone who got in, just think there are thousands of people who would like to be in your shoes right now!!!! But don't let it go to your head and don't ever take it for granted, because think of how long it too you to get here!!!!

Hey i know there are a couple of people from the Perth interviews who have had their reference checks done, has anyone in Perth heard anything else at all?????? I'm guessing once you've had your reference checks done and they were obviously all good its a pretty sure thing? What do you guys on the east coast think?

Bizzi_Boi
21st Jul 2004, 21:40
Hey OzCabincrew,

A very good point, about not letting it get to our heads. I think we all know what a flight attendant looks like when they let their job get to their head. And now having gone through the interview process and been selected, I think back to some of the questions and wonder how some got in with their attitude. Oh well not to worry, I think I will hold on to this feeling every day I get to fly.

As far as your question about the ref checks on the East Coast, mine were checked 2 wks prior to the call I got that I was successful. I know of a few other East coaster's who had refs checked around the same time and yet have been left waiting still. So not sure how it all works to be honest.

I'm surprised none of the MEL guys who started training yesterday didn't post how their first day went. I guess they were exhausted and overloaded after day 1. ;)

Again, to anyone who has not heard yet. I wish you luck and the virtue of good patience.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

NZKID
22nd Jul 2004, 02:34
Hey guys dose anyone know if any BNE people have been contacted yet??????

CONGRATS 2 all that have had the BIG nod.

So happy for you all

Cheers

:ok: :D :D

Sky_hi!
23rd Jul 2004, 02:16
Hi NZKID

I haven't heard anything at all :(

My references haven't even been called yet.....I have no idea what is going on.

I guess no news is good news??

If given the job we will be training in SYD right? I think thats what i heard anyway.

Goodluck peoples!

RaverFlaver
23rd Jul 2004, 02:50
Hi all,

Thought I would let you know, I heard of a MEL candidate who received an email stating they have been unsuccessful.

Fingers crossed the rest of you waiting get some good news soon.

Have a great day,

Iguanahead
23rd Jul 2004, 08:42
Hi Everybody,

Just wanted you to know I received the "No" email today.

Thanks to you all for the support and laughs along the way, especially to Bizzi_Boi for helping me feel the passion for the job I had when I first started.

I am disappointed but not sad as some of you know I have had 14 years as cabin crew already and I feel lucky to have lived the job I love. So it's on to new and different things and we'll see what the future holds for Iguanahead. I should have named myself after a cat as I always seem to land upright on my feet even when things don't look like they are going the right way.

Right now it's a very large Tia Maria and coke for me and a big cheers to all of you who go on to be the best crew members QF have ever seen. :ok:

NZKID
23rd Jul 2004, 12:23
Just me again

I went to the BNE Interviews and know I have had ref checks done but to date have heard nothing .....

Have a friend that interview same day and has had the big NO letter so may be some hope still.

Does every one know that ANZ is interviewing at the moment, Have had the walkin/panel interview 21/07/04 and now had a call back for a 4 hour time slot on the 020804 another trip to N.Z Great but if its a means to an end well who cares....
Good luck to everyone and please any other BNE's let me know when you hear.

Here's hoping :=

Bizzi_Boi
24th Jul 2004, 00:50
Well,

I didn't expect to read that in the forum. The person who supported me through the whole MAM process and believe gave me the confidence to make it, was IGUANAHEAD.

I am in shock, of MAM's decision but I guess as your post states...."I am disappointed but not sad as some of you know I have had 14 years as cabin crew already and I feel lucky to have lived the job I love". And that experience is what you used to keep me positive.

As many would know Bizzi_Boi was looking forward to working with Iguanahead for her passion and great motivation. I will be in the sky serving pax and let me tell you I will think of Iguanahead !!

I wish you and others who were not successfull THIS TIME, all the best with your future endeavours.

Be sure to all keep in touch, and if your ever on a flight and see me coming down the aisle, feel free to pinch my butt or stick your tongue out at me. One positive is, some friendships have been created here and I want to keep them regardless of MAM's decision.

All the best to all.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

Sky_hi!
24th Jul 2004, 02:34
Hi there everyone

Well i think i spoke too soon! I received an email not long after my last post saying I was unsuccessful. :(

No matter though, I haven't given up yet! I have been through a medical etc for Jetstar, and are patiently (sigh) waiting for them to get back to me about their ground school in Sept!!

Congrats to all other MAM applicants who made it through. Enjoy your training, I'm sure it will be a blast!! :}

See you in the Sky!

NZKID: Hang in there! Good luck with everything!

Gone U/S
24th Jul 2004, 07:26
To all of you out there in PPrune land

Here is my Academy Awards Acceptance Speech:

"I just want to say that i have been keeping up to date with all your quests of employment with MAM and as some of u may have read I am in the same *sorta* position.

Have to say it is amazing the people you have to support you when you have either get the acceptance or rejection from the company. I know almost 6 weeks after my final interview the hope has gone but the rejection still hasnot come. I even rang through to the recruitment section of QF and they are still considering my application - not necessarily for the position I applied for but for another opportunity within the company.

What I am basically trying to say to you all is that in the end we all know we are deserving of the job, regardless of whether we have been accepted or rejected. Some of us get through first go while others try for years and years ... their perserverence eventually paying off.

I just wanted to say thank you for your perservence, you passion, your commitment, your motivation and your focus to achieve what you want in life."

So hope that did not sound to much like motivational speaking ... but if you need to get out of your seat and say "Praise the lord", please feel free. :cool:

SocialFlyer
24th Jul 2004, 08:36
Iguanahead...

I'm shocked to hear that you of all people did not make it through. You are an amazing character and supported so many people on this forum (including myself)... If anyone is deserving of this opportunity it is you.. At least you have 14 years of memories in QF Longhaul that nobody can take away from you....... Goodluck, and keep at it, I'm sure your turn is just around the corner.. Thumbs up to you...

Cheers

SocialFlyer

Iguanahead
24th Jul 2004, 09:05
A big "hallelujah" to you Gone U/S, and many many thanks to my Pprune friends Bizzi_Boi and SocialFlyer.

Iguanahead is sorry not to be able to fly with Bizzi as crew but can't wait to pinch his butt as a pax on a flight one day, discreetly of course. I might have to explain that to my hubby and 2 little ones though. "Daddy why is Mummy patting that man's tushy?!" :E

SocialFlyer thanks for the kind words. You're right, I do have memories of a fantastic career as crew and I guess I was just trying to see if I could fit that in with my family now. Who's the greedy little piggy then?:p

I believe all things happen for a reason and have had a very fortunate, happy, and fulfilled life. I seem to fall in all the right places at the right time for me. I know in my heart that I am right for the job, but so are a thousand unemployed exAnsett crew and ten thousand fresh eager "wannabe's" who all deserve the job too. And at the end of the day there are only so many positions to fill. I have had my turn, and now the new recruits will have theirs.

A note to all those looking for work as cabin crew. If you haven't any experience but are eager and hold the passion then you should go for it. Don't let your inexperience be an excuse not to try. To ex crew who believe you deserve to get a spot just because of your flying experience, you are very wrong and still need to prove your worth and intention as you did when you first started out.

I look forward to seeing many more Pprune members grab their wings and fly. I'll be cheering you all from below, waving madly at the big sardine can in the sky and clutching my Tia and coke of course!

andyman_82
24th Jul 2004, 10:41
Iguanahead

You are an amazing person congratulations on making it so far on your application.. Hopefully next time you will be succesful. You are right everything happens for a reason.

Good luck with everything

Andy,

btw how is training boys and girls?

Bizzi_Boi
24th Jul 2004, 10:47
What a great point to make Andyman.

Yes, a big hell of a congrat's to Iguanahead for making as far as she did through the interview process.

But I can't stress enough how much she helped me and just reading her last post, you can see why she such a motivator. And we will explain to your hubby later about you pinching my butt during a flight !!. hahaha

Hey how come none of the boys & girls who are training have posted ? Have they been locked down like Big Brother ? haha

I'm now busy finalising stuff to begin my training on Aug 12th. Would love to hear some feedback what is like so far for the people who are training. Or perhaps they are too exhausted to log on.

Anyway........."please place your seat in the upright position in preparation for landing please sir"

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

andyman_82
25th Jul 2004, 04:33
HAHAHA LOL LOCKDOWN

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Elle
26th Jul 2004, 00:48
I cannot believe that you, Iguanahead did not get through!!!

What the hell is wrong with them, honestly nope I'm floored you didn't get through.

Not only are you helpful to all of us on this Forum but you have so much experience and so look the part.

Their loss completely!!

fourplay
26th Jul 2004, 01:54
It is indeed a disgrace you Iguanahead did not get in.
Yet by the grace of God you will find your true place.
And the wait will be worth it.

You are too good for the likes of a QF contract.
No disrespect to those who find it their destiny at this time.

My Spider sences tell me there is a special position with your name on it waiting for you, and deep down you are aware of this.

Peace be with you in the mean time.

Sky_hi!
26th Jul 2004, 02:22
I heard a rumour that quite often mam interviews in all cities but sometimes only ends up recruiting people out of one. So far Melbourne has a training school, what is happening with Sydney? Perhaps this is the reason why the lovely Iguanahead missed out. Not because she wasn't good enough, but because there was no training school?????

hmmm i have no idea just something i heard. Who knows!

:ugh:

Iguanahead
26th Jul 2004, 03:29
Thankyou everybody for your support. You've all been fantastic for my ego.:E

We'll never know the reasons why we just have to accept the decision and make the best of it.

Sky_hi! I'd love to blame it on there being no training schools in SYD but there are. And the fabulous Bizzi_Boi will be representing us here on Pprune. I feel better knowing they have chosen quality candidates like Bizzi, they have chosen well, he is going to shine. He will knock them for six!

Fourplay, how wise you are. I know deep in my heart that there are avenue's for me to explore. I believe having this taken away from me gives me the opportunity to take up a new direction. One which I may never have found if Mam hadn't said no. There is always a positive to the negative and my life is only happy when I focus on this.

And the beauiful Elle. Thankyou my friend for the ego boost. The middle east sure better appreciate what a fantastic package they are getting with you.

Let's hear some good news from anyone out there. Any more new recruits? How is traing in MEL guys?

Take care all, big kisses and a Tia to you all.:ok:

Bizzi_Boi
26th Jul 2004, 05:47
Hey,

Great to see others agree with me on the great support that Iguanahead has given to us all.

"Sky-Hi", good concept idea about their not being a training school in SYD, but as Iguanahead said - I'm actually attending it in the 2nd week of August. Seems like I'm going to it all on my own :-(

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

andyman_82
27th Jul 2004, 01:28
Hi everyone,

I received an sms 5 mins ago from MAM and also an email.

" We will be conducting a recruitment process within the next two weeks for possible future MAM opportunities and I would like to know if you would be interested in participating in an Assessment Centre process. "

This is for Melbourne.

I thought I wasn't able to attend due to being unsuccessful in June.

Who knows... anyone else get an email/sms in Mel or any other states..?

Sky_hi!
27th Jul 2004, 02:16
ooohh interesting....

but nope, no emails or sms up here in QLD

Hey goodluck second time round! :ok:

andyman_82
27th Jul 2004, 02:49
I was honest and sent them an email back saying that I recently went in June and was unsuccessful can i still come to the assessment day..

they then replied saying you have to wait 6 mths

i replied again asking if i could still attend....

i think if they can stuff up and send me an invite and i am honest enough to let them know i still deserve atleast to go!!

Iguanahead
27th Jul 2004, 05:11
Good on you andyman_82 for giving it a go.

You never know until you ask, and you could get a nice surprise.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, let us know what happens.

Cheers.:ok:

mez78
27th Jul 2004, 08:06
I have also been invited to a MAM day in Melb this Saturday.
Im very nervous, last interview I had was a VB one in March which was a disaster! Hoping i can keep my nerves under control for this one! Andyman when I was at the VB one people were there that had not been formally invited so maybe its worth a chance? A quick question which I know I have seen on this board but I dont think it was ever answered... Is the training paid?

Thanks!!! M xxx

nickmelb
27th Jul 2004, 09:42
hi boyz n girlz

greetings from lockdown central! hahahahahaha

mez78-yes u do get paid for training

iguanahead- so sorry to hear that u didnt make it, however im sure there is something probably better around the corner!

bizziboi, u getting excited?

Its a pretty cool training module, the trainers are great and we go on line about the 23/24th August. everyone is really friendly in the trainin centre, and very welcoming.

The people in our group are very wicked, everyone is really nice and everyone talks to each other and its pretty cool. There are about 5 of us who have not flown before, although we are finding the transition a little different, the ex cabin crew in our group help us out a lot.

My 2 fellow chicky pprruners, nikkib and summa are unreal.

For those of you going to more MAM interviews, all I can say is just be yourself and you will shine. Enjoy the day, and just relax and have fun.

cheerios, i better get back to lockdown.

!!!nick!!!

vdd
27th Jul 2004, 12:13
Does anyone know if they're going to come back to Syd to do some more interviews? Hope so!:D

Bizzi_Boi
28th Jul 2004, 00:12
Hey Nickmelb,

Great to hear you got 'released' from lockdown for long enough to send a msg. haha

Sounds like your enjoying it !

To answer your question, am I excited yet ? Come on mate, the answer is YES x 325.45 . I can't wait. I'm on the countdown and as prepared as I can be. I leave my current job the week I start training. So here I come !!

Study hard NickMelb and make us proud, oh and when I need study tips I will buzz you. *smirk*

Cheers.

RaverFlaver
28th Jul 2004, 01:05
This is rather belated,

But I just wanted to say a huge congratualtions to all you MAMer's who were successful, and hope that everything works out well for you :)

To those who just missed out, keep your chin up and keep trying.

There are other opportunities out there.

If you're after full time permanent employment, AO will be recruiting around September / October - so keep checking their website.

Have a wonderful day - even if it is rainy and cold here in MEL!

fourplay
28th Jul 2004, 06:51
Thanks Andy for the info by e-mail.
Its great we all share our knowledge on here.

Anyone going to the QF MEL interviews on the above date.
Just scored an 11th hour interview after much grovelling.

Missed out on the SYD round due to DJ MEL.
So off to MEL again...I feel like these are Australian Idol auditions...following airlines around AU
Well if it was I would be singing...D e s p e r a d o... why don't you come to your sences.... :} :} :}

OZcabincrew
28th Jul 2004, 09:59
Hi Guys!!!!!

Congratulations to all of those people in Perth who have been called to start training!!!!! I believe there is a total of 9 people in Perth who will go through. Not much notice though, called yesterday to start training in Melbourne for five weeks on Monday, but hey, that's the fun of it all!!

Enjoy it, we look forward to welcoming you to the Perth base.

Oz

Bizzi_Boi
2nd Aug 2004, 17:22
Just wanted to wake up the MAM post with some news.

I have had confirmation that 2 more people who went through the same Assessment day as me are coming to SYD training schools in August.

Unfortunately, they will be in a different training school to me. But regardless, it's good news for sure.

So anyone heard from the 'lockdown cell' regarding the current trainee's ?

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

blondie_11
3rd Aug 2004, 05:47
g'day everyone,just new to the forum!! just wanted to know if anyone has been offered bne based mam casual job yet? I had a call today. (tue 3rd bout 12pm) wei offered me a job!! training starts 23 August in sydney for 5 weeks. Anyone had any news?? also does anyone have any contacts for anyone currently working for mam based in Bne? I need to find out how many overnights they are getting and where they are overnighting? love to hear from anyone with any info!!

bella82
3rd Aug 2004, 06:26
congrats to all new mam casuals. I am a mam casual based in syd. You will all have a ball flying with qantas i am sure as i am having the time of my life.
Training is intense, there will be blood, sweat and tears shed by all of you but you will remember it always and make strong friendships with everyone, especially those u train with. Good luck and with all the cross crewing thats happening to me lately i hope to meet some of you soon!:D

Bizzi_Boi
3rd Aug 2004, 21:45
Welcome to the forum Blondie_11 and Bella82, and of course congratulations to you Blondie_11.

Well done on getting through to the training school in SYD.

Good to start hearing some good news from the QLD candidates. I will be in training the week before you here in SYD, so I'm sure we will all manage to catch up at some stage.

Good luck with it all, and I hope you hear from other BNE casuals to get the answers your looking for.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

blondie_11
4th Aug 2004, 01:14
thanks bb, great to hear from you! I'm sure we'll meet in syd. do you know where we stay? have you heard of anyone else from bne hearing back? make sure you keep posting so we all know how training is going!

Bizzi_Boi
4th Aug 2004, 01:56
Hi Blondie,

I'm not sure where interstate students stay while in training. One would assume local to QC. Who knows you mightbe lucky enough to stay across from QC at the Holiday Inn.

Maybe some others can shed some light on where interstate candidates stay during training.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

OZcabincrew
4th Aug 2004, 12:16
When we were training in Melbourne from Perth, we all stayed at the Quest Serviced Apartments on Bourke Street in Melbourne, the casuals going through now though are staying somewhere different i think?

Oz

NZKID
6th Aug 2004, 02:41
Hi there everyone and anyone who will listen

I am now one of the luckly ones start's training with MAM on 31st Aug, STILL can't believe it after all this time I can't sit still I am sooooo excited what can I say look forward to meeting some of you soon.
Thanks for being there guys and all the great information
Keep up all the good work.

nzkid :O :O :O

Bizzi_Boi
6th Aug 2004, 04:49
Great news NZKID,

Well done and I bet you will still in be shock for a long while.

I'm still in shock myself and have been for 3 wks since I have know about me starting training next week.

Hope we will get to put a face to the name in the sky in the not too distant future.

Celebrate and pat yourself on the back mate.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi :ok:

fourplay
6th Aug 2004, 12:05
Congrats, well done!
Am pleased for you.

:} :} :}

nickmelb
6th Aug 2004, 12:50
hey NZ KID

well done! good work!

we are 3 days into our EP's its pretty full on, exams everyday yadda yadda

best of luck to u guys out there training or about to start!

OZcabincrew
6th Aug 2004, 17:43
and that's only the beginning!!!!!!!!!! You get out what you put in i guess. I'm sure you'll all be fine!

Oz

Sky_hi!
8th Aug 2004, 02:45
Hey NZKID! Well done. Goodluck and best wishes. Have fun in Sydney training! I'm sure it will be a blast :p

Tess
10th Aug 2004, 23:17
:confused: Hi all. I have just registered..thought it better to be a participant not just a spectator! I start training in August for Bne Base with MAM. Just wondering if anyone has any info on how many hours per month MAM personnell are currently getting? Is it worth me leaving my full-time position just for a chance at getting a" foot in the door" with QF?? Are we allowed to go for promotions (csm, longhaul etc) ?? Any help would be much appreciated..Thanks :)

SydGirl
11th Aug 2004, 06:52
Hi Tess,

First up, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your full time position in order to take up a casual position with MAM. Remember, your employment is on a casual basis only and with MAM, not Qantas - you can advise MAM of when you are available to work and you will only be allocated duties within those dates. The majority of MAM crew that I know have a full time/part time job that will pay the bills in case your work with MAM won't.

In addition to the above, what would happen if you gave up your full time job, went through the training school (assuming you pass, many don't!) and got to be an FA only to discover you actually don't like the job. It happens more than you would think!

I don't know how many hours the BNE based MAM crew are getting but my biggest advice is don't let it rule your life. MAM is casual so there are no 'guaranteed' hours, some weeks you may be working full time, others you may get only 2 or 3 hours. 2 hours a week will not pay the mortgage.

MAM employees are not able to apply for any QF positions internally, ie CSMs. If you want to be a CSM then you need to be a permanent QF FA first. To go to longhaul you must either be a permanent QF employed shorthaul FA and be on a transfer list, or apply directly for entry as a longhaul FA.

QF is currently accepting applications for longhaul FAs on a contract basis. There is no guarantees that the contract will be extended or crew will be employed on a permanent basis.

Tread carefully.
Good Luck!
SG

Bizzi_Boi
11th Aug 2004, 07:16
SydGirl,

I understand the advice you gave but my question to you is :

How many people are you aware of that have not made it through QF training school ?

In addition to the above, what would happen if you gave up your full time job, went through the training school (assuming you pass, many don't!) and got to be an FA only to discover you actually don't like the job. It happens more than you would think!

Just wanted to say, that advice on the forum is good but consideration for random comments without more details or actual facts can be worse than the intended advice.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

SydGirl
11th Aug 2004, 10:48
Bizzi_Boi,

I am aware that it is not uncommon for one student per class (a class is up to 16 students, and sometimes it is more than one) to fail or drop out.

Obviously this doesn't happen in EVERY class, but I would say it is at least 3 classes out of 4 where it does.

I am sure that operating crew can think of many people they know who decided that the job wasn't for them within the first 12 months or who didn't make it through the training school for whatever reason.

Feel free to PM me if you require more details.
SG

Tess
11th Aug 2004, 11:00
SG...thanks for the advice...much appreciated. I am currently an FA and adore my job so want to be working as much as possible! IN THE AIR not at some dingy cafe to pay the bills...maybe MAM is not for me afterall. Still thinking...:hmm: Any more advice and any info from current MAM employees or trainees would be much appreciated...Anyone??

QF skywalker
12th Aug 2004, 06:07
Tess,

Your profile says you are a CS with DJ - well done ! You really want to give up the good $$ with DJ as a CS to get a casual job with QF (MAM)? Maybe you should consider the VS exchange program if you are a looking for a change ? Just my thoughts !

I tend to agree wholeheartedly with SYDGIRL - I have just witnessed some people fail a training school and it's not always EP's that makes them get terminated. Lots of other issues...i.e-bad habits from another job etc.

MAM are hiring a large amount of casuals. This is to cover the shortage in s/h at present...however....when things get quiet so does MAM and when there is such a large amount of you on the books this unfortunately means hours are few and far between ( just ask the EX ansett flight force casuals.)

Good Luck in your decisions Tess :p Btw - I am not slamming QF. I am the biggest supporter of my employer however working for a labour hire company is somewhat different.

cheers

Bizzi_Boi
12th Aug 2004, 18:19
Well DAY 1 of training is over and I'm awake at 4:00am getting ready for the 2nd day with a real early start.

I think training,studying and posting on the forum are going to be hard work.

So at this point, Bizzi_Boi bids farewell to the forum for a while.

Thanks for all the support and constant PM's to give me motivation.

I'll do my best to keep in touch later on in the training.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

Z Force
13th Aug 2004, 21:35
Apparently the work load is horrendous. There is one course doing the six week course in five and another course that has been abbreviated to four weeks! Six days per week and study on the day off. The only time you aren't attending to study is on the drive to or from work.

Jane Jetson
16th Aug 2004, 04:04
Congratulations on all you new MAM people - you will LURVVE it! Just one thing though, don't bother joining the FAAA. The only thing they're good at doing for us MAM crew is taking our hard earned $$$. Now before any of you get all hot and bothered, I'm not bagging unions - in fact I am SO totally union I've practically got the Eureka flag tattooed on my nether regions. And I must say the FAAA are FANTASTIC for Qantas crew but disappointingly, completely useless for us - we MAM people have been SOOOO let down by the FAAA it's pitiful. Unless you work directly for Qantas, they don't wanna know. We've had many issues specifically relating to us but they just don't give a monkeys. Save your money people.

fourplay
16th Aug 2004, 09:25
Thanks for that Jane.
I am very pro union myself and am most disappointed to read what you had to say, Yet I believe you.
What a disgrace!:sad: :sad: :sad:

OZcabincrew
16th Aug 2004, 13:18
I back that comment up 100%! Myself and a lot of my colleagues (MAM) have had many queries regarding certain issues and 99% of the time have never had a reply from the union whatsoever, even after constant nagging. There are a few of my colleagues who are seriously thinking about pulling the pin on the union and putting their money towards something more useful like some new underwear, at least we'll get more support!!!! :}

All bases need to push for a MAM union rep as we have just found out after being told that it's not possible that it is more than possible for MAM to have union reps, so i think all MAM casuals in all bases need to have a chat and elect a union rep so we do actually have a direct MAM voice and not someone who covers all of QF short haul and us, i know they have good intentions, but i don't think we're at the top of their priority list, or even near it. Also, stick to your guns and don't take no for answer and more importantly don't take any intimidation as being acceptable!

If any casuals want to have a chat about this, just private message me!!!!!

Oz

Tess
16th Aug 2004, 23:29
I have never had to use the unions before although have been a member.."just incase"..for over 3 years now. Recently, I had nothing but support from two union members from Bne. when I requested info about my DJ->MAM move. Technically still employed by DJ however. Would be disappointed to see priorities change if I was to take the MAM position. If all else fails maybe try the Bne union reps. Otherwise, some MAM delegates are a fantastic idea.

Z Force
17th Aug 2004, 04:24
So how does the FAAA let Qantas run the casuals on a full time basis? Are they intending to casualise the flight attendant workforce? What if you are a casual and you don't want to or can't work full time?

Gomam
17th Aug 2004, 11:28
hi everyone

yes i thought of joining the FAAA, however after the last few comments I probably will not.

My question to other Mam people out there are:

1-Is it legal for MAM to tell us that we have to make ourselves available 12 days per month?

2-We are finishing training in a few weeks and have been advised that MAM will be giving us a block of one months work, and we have to do this. (is this legal as well?)

I am not having a winge, however we are casual and if they want us to do work it has to suit us as well. It can not be a one way street.

i am keen to know others thoughts on this issue

Iguanahead
17th Aug 2004, 12:38
Hi gomam,

I'm not part of the casual workforce but I can assume a couple of things relating to your queries.

Firstly the one months block flying is probably to do with your initial training. I'm guessing you will be online with a trainer to coach you through your first month. And therefore it is a requirement of your training to complete this.

Secondly as far as the requirement for you to make yourself available for 12 days I guess it depends on what you signed up for. If it's in your contract and you said yes then it's legal. You have to consider the fact that Mam are not going to employ you, spend the time and money on training you and then take the chance of having you turn around and say to them you're too busy to do a minimal amount of flying. They are just covering them selves with the amount of staff available to them to utilise.

Hopefully someone in the know will have some solid info for you but realisitically this is what "casual" work and contracts are all about.

Good luck with your flying, hope you enjoy it.:ok:

Bizzi_Boi
17th Aug 2004, 18:37
Hey I have some time out of 'lockdown' @ 4am to write this :

To answer 'GoMam' on the hours and one month full time block after training here is an explanation :

As you would know you have only signed for a Training Flight Attendant contract/agreement to which your currently on. On successful graduation on your last day MAM will get you to sign a new contract/agreement.

In the Agreement, you will be signing that you :

1. Will be available a minimum of 12 days a month
2. You will work a full time temporary roster in the first month to fufil business training needs.

Other parts of the contract will bind you. No negoiations can occur with out directly making them known to MAM. So to answer the question. MAM are well within their rights as it will be in the contract that you sign at graduation. Shame we can't be shown the contract prior but this is the way MAM wants to handle this.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi ( current fave a/c posy is R2P on 733,734,738 ) :D

OZcabincrew
18th Aug 2004, 11:54
Hi Guys!!!

This is obviously a new inclusion into your MAM contract as it isn't in ours about having to make yourself available minimum 12 days a month, so thats a bit of a bugger for you, but i am guessing as Qantas have had trouble with a lot of casuals just making themselves unavailable for the whole month, this way they are guaranteed to at least get 12 days a month out of you.

The full time flying block for the first month is your training month where you "SHOULD" be allocated an inflight trainer, i am aware some people recently haven't been allocated a trainer at all, probably due to staff shortage, however usually the other crew are more than happy to help!

The reason we're on full time work is because just after we signed our original casual contract (MAM Perth), we were offered the chance to take an 8 month full time fixed term contract guaranteeing us a roster for the next 8 months whether it be reserve or flying and then at the end of the 8 months, we'll just go back to our original casual contract.

Just make sure you read your contract very carefully and bring up any issues that you have, because once you've signed it, you're locked in, in a way. Obviously you're contract is slightly different to ours.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy it. Don't come in with an attitude or miserable, there's too much of that already, just really make flying fun and if you feel as if you're taking it all for granted, just think how long it took you to get this job and how many people would LOVE to be in your shoes! It really is one of the best jobs ever! Even if we don't unfortunately get any of the perks!

Oz

Jane Jetson
18th Aug 2004, 23:15
That's a bit strange, different contracts for new casuals. Anyone know where I can find a copy of the new EBA? Yet another FAAA stuff up.

lexus1
19th Aug 2004, 01:04
Jetson

Try getting all of the facts before making stupid statements.

There is no new EBA. The existing EBA is between MAM and The FAAA. It determines rates of pay, duty hour limitations, restbreaks etc. These are all based around the Short Haul EBA.
The number of available days is not covered in the EBA.

If you are a member, ring the FAAA or go to the planned meetings next week to get all the details. The FAAA can also provide you with a copy of your EBA.

Jane Jetson
19th Aug 2004, 05:09
Thanks Lexus1. Would these be the meetings that we were told were going to happen in May this year? And now, let's see, it's August right?

OZcabincrew
19th Aug 2004, 07:41
lexus, who's making stupid comments????

I am only giving the info which i just received from the FAAA via email! There is a new inclusion in the MAM contract which has been negotiated between QF, MAM and the FAAA, that all of the new casuals who are going through now will HAVE to make themselves available a certain number of days per month, this number hasn't been finalised yet, but will be in the next few days! The current casuals will have the choice of either staying on the current contract or swapping over to the new one, up to them? i guess more info will be provided at the MAM meetings for each of the bases?

Oz

fourplay
20th Aug 2004, 09:38
Well luvies received the e-mail from Miss Wei this morning... unsuccessful at stage 3.

So whats new, never mind am totally ok about it as I was going to request SYD or knock back MEL if I got in, she would not have given me SYD anyway already told me, you can come to MEL intv's, however you will not be able to transfer back if you get in.

That was definately my last cabin crew interview.
I am not joking when I say that was interview 70 something over 17 years.
Granted I have secured a F/A position 4 times and promised
2 times with non starters so am not a total loser...hehehehe
Only chance now is Antipodean, So hopefully I start training in the UK at the end of the year.

Have to look at this whole exercise as not ment to be, not my destiny.
don't mean to go all spooky on you, but there is a higher plan to our existence.

Dr will see you now Mr Fourplay :} :} :} where does it hurt?
In the heart... but I'm a dentist :\ :\ :\

Iguanahead
20th Aug 2004, 11:54
Sorry to hear you missed out fourplay, if they had based the process on guts and determination you would have had it in the bag!

I'm not so sure about things happening for a reason bit anymore. I've since come to the conclusion it depends who you get on the day as to how you go. And apparently my friend it just wasn't our week. :hmm:

So onwards and upwards to you, no matter what you decide to do. I think it's a shame they are missing someone with such courage and desire but then again that's their loss.

Be happy and strong. :ok:

fourplay
21st Aug 2004, 01:10
Thanks once again Iguana for your kind words.

Funny industry.

Bizzi_Boi
21st Aug 2004, 04:36
** Bizzi_Boi has been let out of 'lockdown' for a short period of time **

Sorry to hear your news matey. I guess sometimes in life the jig-saw puzzle has different pieces to find and explore.

Each time I read that someone didn't get in, I want to tell current crew how lucky we are that we got in. It is not easy and we all need to remember just how hard it was to get accepted.

Things are going well at the training school and the group is bonding quite well in preparation for EP's. Another SYD training group graduated on Friday and a new one starts on Monday.

All the best to you 4Play and we welcome those starting training on Monday.

Cheers,

Bizzi_Boi

fourplay
21st Aug 2004, 06:57
Thanks Buzzi, Well said.
One does tend to forget once employed how difficult it was getting there.

Can't complain, could have answered a couple of questions better, was saving some ripper answers for questions that never came.
Be thankful guys even if it is only contract,
Flying is one of the best jobs around.
A real lifestyle more than a job.
Iguana and I are thinking of you fondly :} :} :}

Bodum
21st Aug 2004, 08:31
Just some friendly advice from someone whos been around a while ;)

Be very careful what you say about the union, and how you express your views on here. If Qantas decided to get rid of Mam casuals tomorrow, (which they can as they are not QF employees)
I wonder how many of you would be crying out for union support then?

The union is dealing with MANY major issues at the moment, more than what any of you realise. Also the union has done well negotiating your contracts in the past, in particular the fact that you can just be available when you want to be and your hourly rate is nothing to scoff at either. You may not realise it but the union do in fact care about you, and do their best, along with dealing with hundreds of other issues.

Some more advice. Quite a few of you on this site are well known to alot of Flight Attendants/CSMs/Management that visit this site. Once again I suggest you choose your words carefully on here, as reputations can be easily damaged.

Finally, Im not a union delegate. I am a member, and I feel it is necessary to be one. I also dont want this to turn into a union bashing post, nor do I want it turned into a Mam versus Qantas bash either. This is purely advice, in particular for those new Mam recruits in training now.

Happy flying all..

blondie_11
22nd Aug 2004, 23:10
I am starting training in sydney next tue 31st. I will be bne based crew. MAM has not told us where we are staying yet. Does anyone know? Thought you might have heard the new recruits strarting today from bne base talking about it??? Thanks in advance!

L1A
23rd Aug 2004, 02:44
Did you know that MAM and FAAA have the same address *cough,cough*

Suite 5 Norwood Crescent

Any thoughts would be appreciated
:mad:

nickmelb
23rd Aug 2004, 07:50
greetings fellow mamers and everyone else

we finished up 2day and got our certificates, was a fantastic bunch of people, and our trainers (service and EP) where amazing people.

we are all headin out for dinner 2nite, and some of us start flying this week.

Its been a long journey and it had its times, but we are at the end. I look forward to flying and meeting some great people.

cheerios!:ok: :ok:

Z Force
23rd Aug 2004, 20:57
What happens if you can't work the full months roster as you had been told at the start that you only had to work a minimum of twelve days and it is physically impossible for you to work full time?

eeena
25th Aug 2004, 07:43
HI all

Just wondering how long did you guys wait from putting your contact details through on the net til they gave you a call or e-mail you??

thanks

OZcabincrew
25th Aug 2004, 11:49
we stayed at the Quest Apartments on Bourke Street and that was good!!!!!

When i originally applied on staff cv to QF, i heard about two months after i applied via email. I also registered with MAM at the same time. I got the job nearly 18 months later, the first time i had heard from MAM, was about 18 months after i registered, hadn't heard at all from them before that!

Is there a chance you heard them wrong about the first months roster????? you must nominate 12 days a month to be available once you get goin, yet the one month full time roster for your first roster (training month) has always been in place. I don't know what their reply will be if you can't do part of the first month?????? Good luck!

Oz