PDA

View Full Version : VB domestic vs QF domestic

Gracefull
27th Jun 2004, 11:12
As a current QF 737 F/O with at least 5 years to command I now see some of my ex RAAF peers gaining commands in VB.

I can't help but consider where I would be if I had pursued and been successful with a job in Virgin.

As I have no other forum for such a question I ask my domestic friends: Is the grass greener on the other side?

I would love to hear from those on both sides of the fence regards why one would choose their seat over the opposition.

To those people who would hijack this post as a chance to sledge either company or bring up past history please don't even bother with a reply. The question is asked in good faith and I do appreciate your participation in kind.

Cheers Gracefull

Keg
27th Jun 2004, 12:00
If my information is correct fracefull then you can sleep well knowing that you're earning the same money as them doing less overnights.

You have the opportunity to bid onto the B767 or B744 and do international flying which is more money again and less overnights still.

Still, I'm an optimist and I don't tend to look at other grass too much. Although, the grass is pretty dead all through Sydney these days which is probably an accurate assessment of the aviation industry as well! :E :}

Woomera
27th Jun 2004, 22:47
Curiosity finally got the better of me:

Nunc est bibendum = It is time for a drink.

Yes, I'll drink to that!! :ok:

Guess I should now thread ban myself for wandering off topic? :\

Woomera

Howard Hughes
28th Jun 2004, 00:08
Gracefull,

The thing that you have to ask yourself is "am I happy?".
If you are, then what does it matter what seat you are sitting in?
Your friends at VB will still be sitting in that same seat in 10 years time. As Keg pointed out, you on the other hand have the opportunity to change seats, aircraft and the type of flying you do!!

From where I am sitting, which is in neither company, you have it all!!

The grass is'nt always greener on the other side....

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

PS: I would personally never change companies to sit in the same seat, in the same aircraft!! Now a better seat, in a better aircraft, thats a whole different story!!

Keg
28th Jun 2004, 05:35
Got me in one W. It seems to sum up so much of what I read and respond to on PPRUNE! :}

Sometimes also translated to 'now is the time for drinking'. I didn't even pick it because it goes with 'Keg', it's just a saying that is part of my history- and not because of any drinking ability!

permFO
30th Jun 2004, 11:37
Gracefull- I did pursue a career in Virgin but apparently 5000 hours on 737 wasn't considered worthwhile. While I was doing my S/O training I would look at the VB 737's go overhead and wonder at what might have been.
Now I realise that life at QF is not that bad and my DVD collection is the envy of many of my friends.
I have seen many ex-airforce -400 F/O's sitting there with a big grin on their face and a feeling that life is good. In AN I saw a lot of long time 737 Captains feeling a bit jaded with the same old same old.
Hope that helps.