PDA

View Full Version : Apache Will Be Ready - But At What Price?

Front Seater
27th Jun 2004, 09:32
As yet another divorce in the AH programme occurs and the requests for Pre-Voluntary Release hit previously unknown high levels, does the hierarchy recognise that yes they will have an amazing capability in the UK's Defence arsenal in the near future, but it is coming at a professional and personal price that far exceeds any materiel costs envisaged in the impending Defence cuts?

Unfortunately, this is where I really hope that the future Defence cuts actually do 'cut' and I hope that we will stop trying to bluff our case with 3 under resourced Regiments (that always end up 'raping' each other for operations) and do a proper job with 2 fully manned/resourced ones.

It may mean that a few less officers get to be COs and OCs, but it means that a few more marriages and families stand a chance of surviving the high tempo of AH operations and that professionally the job will get done properly.

To the officer's, those that are in a bid to ensure that you are seen favourably by your reporting chain, just remember that every 'glossing over of the truth' or every 'yes we will make it work' decision may only be a sentence for you, but will inevitably have a considerable effect on those under your command.

Always_broken_in_wilts
27th Jun 2004, 10:41
FS,
Sincere sympathy with your post fella:sad: however....

"It may mean that a few less officers get to be COs and OCs"

or

" a few more marriages and families stand a chance of surviving the high tempo of AH operations and that professionally the job will get done properly"

It's not feckin right but wich decision do you reckon those at the top of the food chain are going to go with:}

More "O's" and **** the enlisted filth me thinks:mad:

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

helmet fire
29th Jun 2004, 00:48
Well - how about this for a solution:

The Aussie Army has just retired it's gunship role (AFS) in preparation for the introduction of the Tiger - which will be assuming the gunship role sometime around 2007/8. As the Aussie Army no longer requires anyone of gunship experience - why dont you poach them? Especially considering that they would give their left nut to be involved in offensive helicopter operations, and come trained in modern gunship tactics lacking Apache airframe/weapon/sensor experience.

Given that only about three AFS personnel have so far been involved with the entire Tiger project (from definition through evaluation, acquisition, and now introduction) - and none have currently been slated for posting to commmand or instruction involving the Tiger - it is clear that the Aussie Army can do with out them.

Snap them up before they all disappear back to utilility helicopters!
:ok:

Front Seater
30th Jun 2004, 06:28
HF

Thanks for your offer, but the recruitment of the future Attack Pilot is appearing relatively easy as it is new, shiney and is a real step change in the Army Air Clubs operation. Especially when compared to a Gazelle there are many that would sign the time bar to a life of Apache. However, no one tells them (because no one realised) that there are not enough people or resources to do the job properly and therefore everyone (REME,groundcrew and aircrew) end up totally sh@gged.

Although I am sure that our Antipodean friends could quite easily fill any gap, I believe that we will soon have our very own supply of surplus pilots and navs that could be cross trained into an AH (can of worms opens for those that want to die in a ditch over being sooooo special and that they have so much tactical experience). Rubbish - run a grading to weed those that will never be able to operate below 250 feet.

Lets stop beating around the bush and go joint, the Corps may not survive, but we all know that the crabs will have the infrastructure to operate the beast professionally, effectively, in a safe environment and without running everyone into the ground in the process.

Pin pulled.....over arm throw....goes for cover......and shouts 'Grenade!' :D

ChristopherRobin
30th Jun 2004, 13:15
no chance of the australians...they're too busy poaching our AAC chaps for the Tiger programme. Not too difficult to see why either - UK - rubbish desk job after rubbish desk job, then...G'day mate, howdya fancy we move you and your family to Oz to fly Tigers, drink beer and go surfing? Tough choice.

But this really is crunch time for UK Defence. We've had champagne tastes on beer money for too long and something will have to give. Mind you, if you want to save money, the most expensive toys aren't apaches - Harrier or Tornado anyone?

They cost the STP an arm and a leg and if you don't believe me then why are they so keen to get rid of Harrier before JSF comes in?

Always_broken_in_wilts
30th Jun 2004, 14:14
Last time I looked Harrier and Tornado were at the coal face producing the goods:ok:

Now tell us all again just how well the AH is doing :E

allspelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced