PDA

View Full Version : 747 Classic Sim help

VH-ABC
27th Jun 2004, 02:08
Just wondering if there is anyone out there (QF or otherwise) that can offer any tips on an upcoming sim ride in the classic. At this stage in my career, havent flown anything heavier than a metro.

Any help would be appreciated, thanx

18-Wheeler
27th Jun 2004, 06:39
I went straight from the left seat in a Metro 2 into the right seat of a 747 Classic, and it was hard.
For the sim though, it won't be that hard.
The 747 is a very large plane and you have to treat it as such.
THINK AHEAD, and slow down well in advance.
Listen to the configurations they give you and use them.
It'll pitch up & down noticeably with power changes, so be ready for large power lever movements.
There's no large pitch changes with flap extension or retraction, but when going from flaps 25 to flaps 30 it'll balloon up above the glideslope a little and pitch down. Just give the plane a bit of nose-up trim as the flaps move.
Speaking of flaps moving, they take a few seconds to get into the newly selected position, but going between flaps 1 and flaps 5 in either direction takes a long 36 seconds.
Fly the pitch attitues accurately, and if the flight director is being used in the right mode use it as they're normally pretty accurate in the sims.

VH-ABC
28th Jun 2004, 01:36
Thanx for your reply 18-wheeler, will take all your points on board.

Cheers,

ABC

Piston Twin
28th Jun 2004, 12:08
ABC, I'm assuming that your sim ride is part of the QF selection process. If this is so, read the briefing sheet you are provided with, learn the numbers and thats about it. Fly the numbers and everything else will take care of itself.

Apart from that relax and enjoy it.

PT