PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon - first RAF overseas deployment

Jackonicko
26th Jun 2004, 14:50
Typhoon is making its first RAF overseas deployment, and the type's first deployment outside Europe. So two RAF Typhoons leave Warton for the Singapore evaluation this weekend. Two 29(R) Sqdn T.1's are due to leave on Sunday 27th, supported by three C-130s and a number of tankers.

But does anyone know when they are due to arrive in Singapore (the 6th July has been reported) and/or when they are due back?

Does anyone know where they will stop out and back, and whether the planned stops include Turkey, India and/or Saudi Arabia?

polyglory
26th Jun 2004, 15:19
Jacko,

Knowing the Bean counters, where ever the cheapest fuel and stopovers are.:ugh:

Impiger
26th Jun 2004, 16:56
And I think you'll find they are 17(R) Sqn the OEU not 29(R) Sqn which will be the OCU. I don't think they have formed up yet.

Jackonicko
26th Jun 2004, 18:12
17 (R) aircrew, 29 (R) jets. (Tranche 1, Batch 2).

Smoketoomuch
26th Jun 2004, 21:03
Three C130s to support two Typhoons? It's not going to be another case of one C-17 per Apache is it? Tell me I'm talking rubbish, please.

jwcook
27th Jun 2004, 01:51
Perhaps the C130's are carrying the sales teams dancing girls and booze, Its an evaluation and overseas deployment, theres a lot to take!!, eg parts for the tankers as well!

Does anyone have any idea how long each leg is to Singapore, would it be technically possible to do it in one hit?.

Cheers

cuthere
27th Jun 2004, 07:05
The tankers arrive in Singapore on the 1st of July, so I can only assume the Typoon(s) will too. Other stops on the way include Bahrain and Colombo.

Hydraulic Palm Tree
27th Jun 2004, 07:57
No, the C130s are carrying the tents the Sqn is going to be staying in - not enough room for air conditioners though!

Oh sorry I'm mistaken, that is what JHC would do if Typhoon was under its command.

HPT:{

L J R
27th Jun 2004, 19:30
I didn't think the Typhoon was cleared to fly over water, or to use a radio that has a foreigner on the other side.

Jackonicko
27th Jun 2004, 21:13
On another board it's been revealed that:

"ZJ807 coded BF of 29(R) Sqdn left as Ascot/Rafair 9589
ZJ805 coded AD of 17(R) Sqdn left as Ascot/Rafair 9590

Both Typhoon T.1's left Warton for Singapore at 10.17 on Sunday 27th June 2004, first stop Cyprus."

Navaleye
28th Jun 2004, 09:01
Presumably they will have "For Sale" signs on them.

ORAC
28th Jun 2004, 10:21
So did they do a flypast at EPI and Akrotiri to show them off to everyone or just a straight in to land?

Myra Leese
28th Jun 2004, 19:10
Don't know about Epi but they broke into the circuit about brandy sour time and then overshot for a circuit to land and very impressive they looked too. They are still here and will leave tommorrow morning I am told.

Lost_luggage34
29th Jun 2004, 05:09
I'm not Military but an article in the local Blackpool rag caught my attention yesterday ;

Two Warton built Typhoons have been deployed for the first time outside Europe.

The two aircraft left Warton yesterday morning bound for Singapore where the aircraft have been selected for the final phase of the country's Next Fighter Replacement programme.

They will spend around 2 weeks in Singapore and will return to the UK in July.

This is the first deployment of Typhoon outside Europe and represents a major challenge at this early stage of the aircrafts in-service life - the aircraft has been in service with the RAF since late 2003.

Wing Commander David Chan - the officer commanding 17(R) Squadron - the RAF squadron undertaking the evaluation commented "We've been operating the aircraft for 6 months now and purely from a pilot's perspective it's been an enormously enjoyable experience.

This deployment will give us a fantastic opportunity to further evaluate the aircraft in a very different environment.

I consider it an honour to lead the first deployment of the aircraft outside of the home nations and I look forward to the challenges ahead."

Squadron Leader Geordie Evans, Senior Engineering Officer for 17 (R) Squadron, added "From an engineering perspective, this is very early in the aircraft's life cycle to undertake an excercise of such magnitude.

But in the six months or so we've been working this aircraft it has far exceeded our expectations in terms of serviceability and reliability, allowing us to fly more sorties than we planned at this stage. I have every confidence as we embark on this deployment".

Ian Malin, BAE Systems campaign director, thanked the RAF, saying, "Typhoon has shown considerable export potential, with an order in Austria and selection by Greece, along with selection for the final phase of the competition in Singapore.

We are absolutely delighted that the British Government and RAF are able to support us by undertaking this deployment.

I am sure Typhoon will demonstrate the same outstanding performance it has shown since it entered service".

Blackpool Gazette - Monday 28th June 2004

So, a question from the uninitiated here, to those in the know, how accurate is that article ?

I was personally flabbergasted. Could almost see Mr. Hoon's fingers on the strings.

Comments please.

pr00ne
29th Jun 2004, 09:03
Missing_bags32,

Are you infering that OC 17(R) and the SENGO are NOT in the know!

I know it may upset some folks Daily Mail inspired view of the world but Typhoon appears to be working well, very well.

brit bus driver
29th Jun 2004, 09:30
Hmmmm,

Latest developments today would seem to counter that particular argument!

Whipping Boy's SATCO
29th Jun 2004, 10:31
....... and you think they're coming back?

Ali Barber
29th Jun 2004, 10:45
What developments are those?

deeceethree
29th Jun 2004, 11:51
Things, perhaps, not going according to plan? Now there is a surprise ..... no maybe it isn't.

6foottanker
29th Jun 2004, 12:39
How ironic. It's not that the venerable VC10 that spoils the plan, but the Shiny Ones! Not unexpected, though. Guess that means more money, time and effort sending a sweep up jet to pick up the (typhoon) pieces.:uhoh:

Archimedes
29th Jun 2004, 12:57
Very cryptic... Presumably something has gone amiss with one or both of the wonderjets? But what, please?

Jackonicko
29th Jun 2004, 13:12
Dunno.

But do know that:

A third Typhoon T.1 left for Cyprus this morning ...

Ascot/Rafair 9591 ZJ806 BE of 29(R) Sqdn left Warton for Akrotiri on 29/06/04

This aircraft was the ground spare at Warton for the pair that left for Cyprus on Sunday ...

Ascot/Rafair 9589 ZJ807 BF of 29(R) Sqdn left Warton for Akrotiri on 27/06/04
Ascot/Rafair 9590 ZJ805 AD of 17(R) Sqdn left Warton for Akrotiri on 27/06/04

EPI??????????????????????????

BEagle
29th Jun 2004, 13:19
Episkopi.

(Presumably not the Episkopiana Hotel!)

Myra Leese
29th Jun 2004, 14:24
Akrotiri now the temporary proud owner of 3 Typhoons, might as well start an OCU here!

Boogeyboard
29th Jun 2004, 14:45
No: 3 bird following up with forgotten bottle opener and Penthouse mags. Singapore not that much fun, I hear. Cyprus doris's ugly as sin, I know.:suspect:

Load Toad
29th Jun 2004, 16:31
Oh I'm sure the RAF lads will find time to locate 'The Four Floors'....

Smoketoomuch
29th Jun 2004, 17:56
I just KNEW 3 C-130s wouldn't be enough :)

Unmissable
29th Jun 2004, 22:56
Are the C-130s to bring back the aircrew after we've flogged them 'taken as seen' with very low mileage?

Navaleye
29th Jun 2004, 23:07
Sounds like a President Blair "eye catching initiative". I would not discount it, ridiculous as it may seem.

detgnome
30th Jun 2004, 17:58
2 Typhoons left Akrotiri this morning - and very impressive they were too. Rumour has it that the Lightning gate guard may soon be replaced as we appear to have something a bit newer and equally as serviceable as the Lightning...

Chris Kebab
30th Jun 2004, 19:08
Come on then - what's wrong with the one left there?

Jackonicko
30th Jun 2004, 20:45
"LCRA(AKROTIRI)-OMAM(AL DHAFRA)
TYPZ VC10 EUFI EUFI
atd:06:11utc ata:10:10utc

-ROUTE N0419F230 DCT 3424N03157E DCT APLON G183 PASOS/N0415F220 G183 TBA DCT NWB R650 HGD/N0421F230 B418 WEJ A145 HLF DCT 2607N03936E DCT 2601N04220E DCT GAS/N0440F250 A145 KFA A791 BAH B457 AUH DCT"

jwcook
30th Jun 2004, 23:44
Whats the serial number of the one left behind?, is it the same one that left from the UK or one of the original two?

cheers

Lost_luggage34
1st Jul 2004, 02:39
pr00ne

I sometimes read the Daily Mail. I prefer The Independent as it happens. Sometimes, The Times sometimes the Daily Telegraph.

I made it quite clear on my post that I am not Military.

I have the ability to read and therefore, because of my love of aviation, I have read much about Typhoon.

So I was simply asking for comments regarding the article in the Blackpool Gazette. The reason, because it didn't seem to add up vs. what I have read about.

There was no hidden agenda, no intention to cause upset.

I'd better stay out of the Military room in future. Seems that asking a reasonable question and being polite doesn't fit in.

Misplaced Bags 32

Captain Kirk
1st Jul 2004, 08:02
Misplaced Bags 32

You're extensive reading list has evidently not given you enough insight to realise that RAF personnel are the political lackeys of no-one. Reading PPRuNe should have given you a clue.

Your post, implying as much, was bound to elicit a reaction from a community that is proud to do and say what is right, irrespective of external political agendas.

For your further education though, Wg Cdr Chan is a highly experienced and capable officer with uncompromising standards. That Typhoon is proving so successful now is in no small measure due to his past endeavours. Read between the lines of his statement though:

'purely from a pilot's perspective it's been an enormously enjoyable experience'

Wg Cdr Chan is at the front end of the biggest collaborative industrial programme in Europe. Some areas of such a complex programme, at such an early and pivotal stage, will inevitably be frustrating. Please consider that before obliquely questioning the integrity of such high calibre individuals. You were not polite.

Most importantly though, stay out of the Military Forum if you can't take some BANTER! :D

As to the unserviceable ac - it happens. Most, if not all, trails put considerable strain on ac, aircrew and groundcrew. It is not unusual to have a detachment scatterred across an entire continent until the gingers fix the broken bits with their usual dedication and professionalism.

For all manner of reasons, BAES get a bad press: some deservedly, some not. Typhoon has the potential to be a tremendous success and this is directly due to the dedication of a vast number of people across 4 countries, not least the boys on the shop floor at Warton and the RAF/civ servants that have been closely involved in the project. Unpalatable to 'Mail Readers' perhaps but true nonetheless. Typhoon is not out of the woods yet, but early indications are very promising.

Good Luck in Singapore dudes.

:ok:

Jackonicko
1st Jul 2004, 09:23
The Blackpool Bugle article was accurate insofar as it went (or not inaccurate) but incomplete. If you ignore how late the programme is (and how much it has slipped even during the last 30 months) and if you ignore what are temporary annoyances with regard to clearances and minor technical problems the programme recently has gone surprisingly smoothly, the aircraft is showing enormous potential, and could be an export success. But the article you quote puts a very one-sided and positive spin on things.

With regard to your reception, this military aircrew forum can be a bit of a snake pit. For someone who has had no exposure to the service culture it might seem rude, unfriendly and insulting - but it's just regarded as playful banter.

If they've left your mother out of it, it wasn't meant rudely!

"F*çk off journo scum" or "F*çk off civvy" is therefore just a friendly greeting.....

Navaleye
1st Jul 2004, 09:40
Lost_luggage34, gotta agree with the boys above. Colourful metaphors are part of everyday life round here. Don't take them too seriously and please hang around if you want to contribute further.

L J R
1st Jul 2004, 19:34
Hope everyone enjoys the trip to Singapore & elsewhere. Undoubtably, however, the Singapore Military will not buy the Typhoon.

smartman
1st Jul 2004, 20:08
Ah , but on the other hand LJR, UNDOUBTEDLY they might well do.

Jackonicko
1st Jul 2004, 20:54
Smarty!

Nice one! But what did go wrong with the sick jet? And which one was it? Bet you could find out in a nanosecond........

Always_broken_in_wilts
1st Jul 2004, 22:42
and tell a journo.............not feckin likely:E

all speling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

Jackonicko
1st Jul 2004, 23:46
OK, no-one need worry about telling a journo. Too slow Smarty!

It was a VERY minor electrical problem which occurred during post flight servicing and one that was fixed by the time the spare aircraft got to Cyprus. There are now three fully serviceable Typhoons at Akrotiri to choose from.

One hopes that someone has the sense to send all three out simultaneously for what would be a great photo opportunity, before the two jets fly on to Oman, and the third comes home.

Jackonicko
2nd Jul 2004, 01:22
Doh! They've already gone, haven't they....

durr

jwcook
2nd Jul 2004, 06:01
Is the deployment operational name 'Eastern Smile'?

Anyone?, BTW its was supposed to be a electrical relay that tripped or went U/S, took a few hours to track down the fault, which caused the replacement to be flown out, apparently AD was repaired before the other arrived.

Cheers

UncleFester
2nd Jul 2004, 07:24
The last time they sent a sales team to malaysia 'et al' to try to sell F3's and Harriers to the Malays and Singaporeans it became a farce. The Tornado engineers were working all night to get 5 jets servicable in order to fly two the following day!! The Harriers were much better but did they buy any...... what do you think! As for the length of time away it was a joke. There were F3's littered all the way to malasia and back. They needed 5 hercs to go and keep ferrying parts and fitters all over the route to and from malaysia. Good fun for us herc crews, saw places I'd only read about, sales....none. Comment from one Malay senior officer I spoke to " Nice planes, too complex for what we want, too labour intensive, not very reliable in the heat and humidity out here". What a surprise. Again, he liked the Harrier but not suitable for the expertise of his pilot traing setup. :)

smartman
2nd Jul 2004, 08:21
Uncle --

Did you mean Tornado GR1? Agree with much of what you describe - wrong aircraft, wrong place. But you shouldn't infer that we're in for a repeat performance - right aircraft, right place.
Typhoon's spec is quite different to Tornado: and with respect to your points it has a man-hour maintenance factor around four times lower than Tornado, a much higher reliability rate (both of which have so far been met or exceeded in-Service at Warton - amazing for any aircraft in its very early life), and it's also deliberately specified for worldwide operations (which Tornado wasn't ). And it's affordable (which Tornado wasn't).

Good Luck with your issue mate! Been there.

Jacko --

Sorry, signed off with a surfeit of wine before seeing your challenge. The show rolls on, but I can just imagine those PPruNers poised at their keyboards waiting to pounce on the next unserviceability. I hope they don't have the pleasure, but no doubt they'll exercise it in some way or other.

LostInTheWilderness
2nd Jul 2004, 11:05
2 Typhoons arrived safely in Singapore at 09.49 UK time today! Cant have been that difficult after all... ;)

Lost_luggage34
8th Jul 2004, 06:13
Thanks for the re-alignment check chaps - esp. Cpt Kirk.

Point taken

ppf
8th Jul 2004, 12:43
Heres a link to the first pictures if any ones interested.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/limage_typhoon_sing.html

ppf :)

circle kay
8th Jul 2004, 14:18
“as part of a sales push in the Far Eastern colony”
So 1963/1965 didn’t happen in the sheltered world of DCC RAF! What’s next? Push on to Honkers? Or back west to sort out the Fuzzy wuzzys?
:rolleyes:

Captain Kirk
8th Jul 2004, 15:25
Lost Luggs,

If you can take it on the chin, as you have, then you'll be in good company in here. Welcome aboard.

CK :ok:

Trumpet_trousers
8th Jul 2004, 16:13
......so why are the Typhoons not carrying any?
Anybody in the know care to comment?

6foottanker
8th Jul 2004, 16:48
Just got back from Sunny Akro. Update on the poorly typhoon is that it had a minor cabin pressure snag at some point trying to get out the first time. Dunno if that is on top of the electrical snag mentioned by Jacko. A Tri* should be trailing it home, if it hasn't already done so by now. That is, of course, providing the little bugger was fit to travel!

Jackonicko
8th Jul 2004, 17:56
Why no tanks? Easy! Cleared on the DAs and IPAs but not on the Batch 1 jets yet. Clearing AAR was felt to be more useful.....

L J R
8th Jul 2004, 18:05

Believe it or not, some countries want a 'clean' jet (and no AAR) in order to fill their requirements. Maybe now the 'True' range of the thing will come out.
BWOS have been quite secretive when the 'clean & unrefuelled' range is asked about.

brit bus driver
8th Jul 2004, 21:50
No Tri* recovery trail today.........Typhoon still u/s in Akronelli. Will now have to get halloumi from Waitrose....bugger!