PDA

View Full Version : Jet Provost

fradu
26th Jun 2004, 12:21
Seemingly overlooked by many, today marks the 50th anniversary of the Hunting Jet Provost's first flight!

Beeayeate
26th Jun 2004, 18:59
D@mn. . . a lot of us who worked them rather hoped that would just slip by quietly! :hmm: :rolleyes: ;)

The only jet with a volume control instead of a throttle. :rolleyes: :E

:ok:

You want it when?
26th Jun 2004, 23:29
Used to watch them from the A1 bumping around Catterick when it was a real forces station. Or at least I think I did, it was a few weeks ago. :)

sycamore
26th Jun 2004, 23:42
YWIW? don`t think you`d have seen many J-P`s at Catterick, as it`s much too short>>>!!!!!!!!!

spekesoftly
27th Jun 2004, 09:28
More likely to have been Dishforth, used in the past as a RLG by the JPs from Linton and Leeming.

Mr_Grubby
27th Jun 2004, 13:45
JP T52 IRAQ AIR FORCE AF602 FARNBOROUGH 1964

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/JetProvostT52IraqAF602small.JPG

JP T32 TANGMERE 1963

http://www.btinternet.com/~simon.gurry/Dadsphotos/JETPROVOST32Tangmere63small.JPG

Pics courtesy of JN.

Clint.

You want it when?
27th Jun 2004, 16:28
Leeming from the old A1? I stand corrected but in my defence I was very short at the time and had trouble seeing out of the back seat :O

Still think it's a nice aircraft and as worthy of saving as the Hunter.

fradu
27th Jun 2004, 18:41
Mr_Grubby,

Do you know the identity of the aircraft coded '32' or the Unit?

Mr_Grubby
27th Jun 2004, 19:30
fradu.

Sorry not known.
But on checking both pics. I found a typing error, the IAF is in fact 603 not 602.

Clint.

PPRuNe Radar
27th Jun 2004, 21:50
The badge on the JP Mk3 looks like that of the Central Air Traffic School, but they didn't get JPs till the mid 70s :confused:

http://www.jetprovosts.com/jpsqns/props/catcs.gif

noisy
28th Jun 2004, 08:32
The taxpayer certainly got their money's worth out of the JP. They were used hard by the flying training establishmens and then when they were a bit knackered many were passed to the technical training schools, where some Mk.5's still serve to this day. After this long service, a proportion were passed down to civilian establishements. At such a college I cut my teeth learning the hydraulic & electric principles of the TMk.4.

Fantastic and I'd love a go in one :ok:

Beeayeate
28th Jun 2004, 09:21
I think the badge is more likely to be that of 2 FTS, I know it looks a lot like the CATS badge. Unfortunatley I can't seem to find a decent image of the crest on the web and the only pic I can rustle up is of me as a gawky new SAC standing beside the nose of No 43 on the Syerston line and I'm only posting a bit of that.

If I've got it all wrong I'm sorry, but it was 40 odd years ago. :rolleyes:

http://www.canberra.plus.com/pics/syerston.jpg

Mr_Grubby
28th Jun 2004, 12:00
I have blown up the original photo and looked at the badge.

It looks a lot more like 2 FTS than C.A.T.S.

Clint.

Beeayeate
28th Jun 2004, 12:53
Noisy
At such a college I cut my teeth learning the hydraulic & electric principles of the TMk.4

Bet you learned more about setting up cables, chains and pulleys though - one hyd jack to lower/retract all three legs! :ok:

noisy
28th Jun 2004, 13:31
It was a very quick u/c system. a bit too quick sometimes as we found out when someone pulled the gear up with the groundlocks in place :} . There was that big pulley to get mangled. And it did. fortunately we managed to find another before long.

CamelPilot
30th Jun 2004, 17:53
There is a free entrance to Cranwell Aviation Visitors Centre on 4th July to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the JP.

Why not pop along and see the JP - it IS now part of this country's aviation scene and worth letting the kids and the rest of the family revel in it. As it is also at the home of the Royal Air Force it must be worth the trip.

A flypast is thought likely too!

CP

No comment
1st Jul 2004, 10:39
Remember visting the No 1 SOTT at Cosford with the Cadets years back and fiddling round with JP's for a couple of days! Visited the museum there last year and was rather happy to see at least four JP's being taxied around the airfield. I'm presuming that none of these are airworthy though.

relight9
1st Oct 2005, 16:48
Hi
There's another JP T4 not far from Cranwell Heritage Centre that's well worth a visit.

It's XS186 at the Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre.

It's owned by me , and we have a small but very dedicated team of guys who are determined to bring her back from the brink of dereliction, hopefuly to ground running status within a few years.

None of us have experience of JP's , infact the Javelin and Lightning are the only military aircraft any of us have worked on, but as has been said before, it's a worthy cause, after all the JP has a well earned place in our heritage.