PDA

View Full Version : CHC Sleeping Giant

nonac
26th Jun 2004, 06:58
Unrest at the CHC camp suggests the "giant" is about to be caught napping and let a long time and expanding (to 3 aircraft) Adelaide contract slip through their grasp.:uhoh:

Clarence
2nd Jul 2004, 12:47
High Nr,
What happened to your post?? Don't tell me you deleted it because you thought it was offensive??? or stupid???Possibly one of the moderators deleted it; and rightly so.

I quote one of your previous posts,

It’s interesting to recall my old English Teacher’s words of wisdom, “If your adversary [debating team] has to revert to personal attacks or name calling, then they have already lost, you may not have won, but they have lost.”

Your really are a hypocrite.

Well done Maintranschip and Wineboy. Your restraint showed a dignity that High Nr knows not the meaning of.

QAZWSX
28th Feb 2005, 03:56
Anyone got the goss on this contract, supposed to be announced today!!:ok:

Aussie Mate
9th Mar 2005, 09:06
Just heard via the back door that CHC Adelaide are drowning in stale beer tonight.

Interesting about their longevity in Home Base?

What’s next?, Helimed’s then Timor, maybe more.

Driptray
9th Mar 2005, 09:21
The beer was as fresh as a daisy, thanks!!

nonac
9th Mar 2005, 09:22
Told you so. Could this be a big enough call to wake the giant??

:ouch:

nonac
9th Mar 2005, 09:27
There must be a few red faces at the top of the beanstalk

piggy_mcbeef
9th Mar 2005, 09:48
Any "Old English Teachers" who have read PPRUNE would have
already topped themselves .

wineboy
9th Mar 2005, 10:40
Look on the bright side... at least now CHC will have another spare 412 to take over more NSW Air Ambulance contracts... look out Sydney, Hunter, Northern Rivers ;)

:ok:

High Nr
9th Mar 2005, 22:25
I heard it was Australian Helicopters, that is Marine and Reef, a young Aussie Company on the move.

Pity about the arrogance and head up yah bum attitude of the “Sleeping Giants” Giants!!

Good for Australia, and who cares about the Canadians.

Hey AV8R [Helimed 3] and old Clarence, your so silent at the moment, unlike you at such a monumental occasion.

You fully realize that loosing your heartland is like Bristow loosing BWX, Jayrow loosing Bass Strait, Heli Res loosing the Antarctic and Kenny with his small MPT. It’s the beginning of the end and you don’t know it.

Clarence
9th Mar 2005, 23:46
It was Australian Helicopters, hardly a young company, but good on them none the less. We will wait and see if they can service the contract; we all know what happened when Noris Dynan won the Victorian contract, couldn't supply and CHC were more than happy to pick up the pieces (didn't Noris have the same ops manager/chief pilot as Australian do now?). People win contract, people lose contracts that's what competition is all about. Losing 2 machines in S.A. is really no big deal. Winning 2 (or 3 or 4) in NSW will soon make up for it. Begining of the end? hardly.
As for the silence being deafening, well the same could be said about the NSW EMS threads. How are the boys in the 'gong going? Doing very well I hear, client very happy. Not much being said by you and your like on that score.
Again, Congratulations to Australian Helicopters.:ok:

KelpieCross
10th Mar 2005, 00:44
Did the new new company win this contract.... or .... did CHC lose it!!! Maybe some heads are about to fall!!

Nigel Osborn
10th Mar 2005, 01:11
High NR

How many Canadians work for CHC in Adelaide?:confused:

200psi
10th Mar 2005, 01:56
Check their financial backers before you declare them any more Aussie than anyone else.

High Nr
10th Mar 2005, 03:56
Arrogance will loose it everytime.

Look at the track record, Woodside, Bass Strait, Coastwatch.

But of course we are not arrogant, its all you folk that won't listen!!

Phoenix Rising
10th Mar 2005, 16:34
MEDIA RELEASE
Embargoed to 00:00 March 10, 2005

AUSTRALIAN COMPANY BEATS OVERSEAS COMPETITION

Local aviation company, Australian Helicopters, has beaten off one of the world’s largest providers of helicopter services to be named the preferred supplier for the seven-year $52 million Adelaide Bank Rescue Helicopter Service in South Australia.

Australian Helicopters’ Government Services Director, David Earley, said the decision reflected the company’s proven record in supplying rescue and emergency helicopter services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“Australian Helicopters has extensive experience in rescue and emergency services work, through its ongoing contracts with the Federal Government’s Coastwatch program and with Emergency Services in Queensland,’ Mr Earley said.

“We’ve built a strong reputation as a reliable and safe operator and one which is wholly Australian owned.”

Under the terms of the agreement, Australian Helicopters will provide a Bell 412 medium twin helicopter, a BK117 light twin helicopter and an EC130 B4 single engine helicopter along with a crew of 17, made up of pilots, crewmen, engineers and administrators.

The helicopters will be based at a purpose-built facility at the Adelaide airport.

“ We want to build a strong community relationship in Adelaide, just as we have done in the other regions we serve from the Torres Strait to Sydney.”

Australian Helicopters is expected to begin operating the Adelaide Bank Rescue Helicopter Service in late 2005.

Australian Helicopters is a private and wholly Australian owned company headquartered in Brisbane. It operates 23 helicopters and has 80 staff at bases from the Torres Strait to Sydney.

piggy_mcbeef
10th Mar 2005, 22:57
Didn`t CHC/Lloyds have the same Operations Manager/Chief Pilot
as Australian Helicopters do now? (Before he left CHC in disgust)

What-ho Squiffy!
11th Mar 2005, 00:24
Good point Nigel. Regardless of the ownership, people at the pointy end suffer.

I think High NR is just trawling for an argument.

Either that, or he is loosing his mind.
Or is it already loost (or is that loosed...)?
Maybe just a git?:suspect:

High Nr
11th Mar 2005, 00:36
Sure I'm trawling, but I'm up front and honest about it.

But the normal vocal one sided self indolent critics have yet to respond.

Nig, its not the Aussies that work here mate.....its where the $$$ goes in the end?

Its not the sharp end people that suffer, it will be all the Head Office hanger on’s that will be moved on now.

Power to the Pilots!!

200psi
11th Mar 2005, 03:55
High Nr

Why is it that the Australian Helicopter buisnesses must be wholly Australian owned. It doesnt make sense, by your reasoning every buisness that is owned by offshore interests have no right to operate in this country. The world doesn't work that way anymore and you know this so methinks you have a personal axe to grind. Kind of creepy huh

High Nr
11th Mar 2005, 10:00
I do.

Imagine an Australian trying to own a Helicopter Company in the big USA, or even Canada.

It would or could not happen, full stop.

The Yanks would take you to court, and the Canadians would buy you out, before you showed them up.

Power to Australian Helicopters and their staff, wonder what foreign owned contract is next to head back home.

Quite a few I suspect.

Rot8tor
11th Mar 2005, 12:42
As an ex English teacher I just helpfully point out the Antipodean registered contributors' failings in their spelling:

Loose means slack - he wears his belt loose around his waist,

Lose means to misplace something - I lose two mobile phones a year.

Sorry to intervene but it so distracts (me) from any argument you might have.

High Nr
11th Mar 2005, 19:27
But your a Pilot now!!, so show some tolerance towards your now lesser colleagues.

If I woz any smartor, I wood bea a Chalkie now!!

Still got your Cane at home?

Rot8tor
11th Mar 2005, 20:15
Spelling 4/10 - see me:

Your - possessive adjective

You're - abbreviation of you are

Aussie Mate
11th Mar 2005, 20:33
Don't weaken Nr.

At least you use full stops at the completion of your sentences.

Now back to the subject matter at hand.

Quickdraw
11th Mar 2005, 21:36
Vice Like, well said!

High NR
I will assume here that CHC, like any other company that operates a government (department) contract must demonstrate the content of "Australian Industry Involvement" through an "Australian Industry Involvement Plan". This means that a company must maintain a set amount of ‘Australian Involvement’ in order to maintain/sustain the contract. This figure is normally set at greater than 80%. The Government is then able to award contracts to foreign owned companies providing that they use Aussie involvement and not let all the funds go offshore.

So having a foreign company operating a government contract in Australia is fine by me, indeed it keeps many of my colleagues employed on better than award rates of pay, properly maintained aircraft, and flexibility in areas of work (offshore, EMS, SAR) not to mention a career progression for pilots/crewman (read crewpersons) and engineers.

I wish Aussie Helicopters all the best they obviously had the more attractive bid on the day. From what I hear, the Adelaide contract was a tough gig for CHC with regard to the types of clients that were involved. Maybe it’s good for all concerned that there is a change of operator and no I am not suggesting for one minute that CHC would have just let it go. I guess CHC will be even more determined now to secure the NSW EMS operation/s. ‘Swings and roundabouts’ my friend that’s how it works!

As for you High NR you were once apart of the system, however because you failed to meet the standards you left 3 seconds before being pushed… don’t be angry and hide behind the ‘Aussie’ company argument.

Be grateful that we have competition in Australia and we need companies/operators like (in no specific order) CHC, Bristow, Jayrow, Australian Helicopters, QR, Careflight, Westpac, Heliair, Helicopters Australia, Rotorlift, Lifeflight, Child Flight... etc etc who provide a pathway to pilots/crewman/engineers to increase their skills/knowledge/ability thereby making our Australian market more safer and more profitable.

Sorry for long post, I don’t see the need to constantly harp on this offshore owned company thing! High NR you need to be more constructive not destructive

Quickdraw :)

Rot8tor, please cut me some slack on the spelling/grammer it's been a tough morning. ;)

407 Driver
12th Mar 2005, 03:51
Rot8tor, does Anal - Retentive have a hyphen or not? :confused:

Just wondering?

High Nr
12th Mar 2005, 07:38
Being the last of the "Out of the Closet" Aussie Rednecks, I support all things Aussie before the imported item.

Is that so terrible?

Be Australian Buy Australian, seems to have been on the media lately, so I guess its just not me.

Quickdraw, I think supporting the home grown and owned Industry is very constructive. Obviously you have the opposite viewpoint/stance.

And just to put cold water on your low life suggestion, no I have never worked in your CHC system or even applied for such work. And now that I am in retirement [semi], I doubt I ever will.
So don't hide behind sly innuendo sleaze by trying to degrade others, play the ball not the man.

I guess if I had power supreme, yes I would ensure Aussie Contracts went to Aussie owned mobs, just like they do in other parts of the Western World.

Power to the home grown product and $$$.

Cheers, the Aussie Redneck.

Rot8tor
12th Mar 2005, 08:11
Quickdraw:

Very Good .... fell down at last hurdle though - 'grammar' with two 'a's

407 Driver:

Yes, it does - but there are no spaces between the letters ie. anal-retentive.

Before tomorrow's lesson I want you all to make a sentence which includes the following words to help show their meanings:

Aboriginal, Third World, get real, open competition

3 o'clock
12th Mar 2005, 10:41
High Nr,

You suggest that you have no connection to CHC. If this is so, why then do you continually attack the company so much? Please spare us the, come on Aussie come on diatribe, because your continued and vindictive assault, which borders on paranoia in my opinion, strongly suggests that you are either a disgruntled ex CHC pilot, or perhaps someone who failed their psych test – probably for a good reason…

MPT
13th Mar 2005, 02:33
G'day All,

Just to digress one moment from the spelling police and the amateur psychiatrics, does this mean that the rumoured move of the "sleeping giant" to northern climes is back on the agenda?

Cheers,

MPT

Gomer Pylot
13th Mar 2005, 19:49
HiNr, there would be no problem with an Australian owning a helicopter company in the US. An Australian already owns most of the radio and TV stations and newspapers. A mere helicopter company would be small potatoes in comparison. Foreign money controls a huge portion of the US economy.

High Nr
13th Mar 2005, 20:49
[I said I wasn't going to respond again - I weakened].

How is the GOM going now? I worked out of MC a few to many moons ago, now just keeping up with most things through Sassless's comments, old systems die hard I guess.

I reckon your referring to Rupert Murdock?, if that is the case, yes he was an Australian!!!

The USA Government made him an offer [Baseball Bat type], become a US citizen, or your business venture is finished. So he did.

He is now legally a Yank, no longer an Aussie [just listen to him talk].

And was that fair???, of course it was, exactly the correct action by your Government.

Here in Oz, we don't seem to have such a nationalistic attitude, its a free for all, just come with the $$$ and we will sell you our Grandmothers.

My detractors seem to think I am anti particular companies here, that is not the case, I am anti the foreign ownership and particularly the foreign control.

My Nostradamus Prediction, “our Canadian Friends will buy out the successful operator of this Adelaide Contract, within 12 months.” [Or hopefully, the Aussie mob will buy the Sleeping Giant].

407 Driver
13th Mar 2005, 23:46
Seems to be the way the Codfather (Dobbin) does business..."..If you can't beat them, BUY them "

200psi
14th Mar 2005, 06:17
What in Australian Helicopters track record would prevent it from servicing the contract?

QAZWSX
14th Mar 2005, 22:09
VICE LIKE- Talk about servicing a contract I hear the CHC barely makes a dollar out at Moomba, that can't be good.

Sarbe
15th Mar 2005, 00:07
Even if CHC are barely making a dollar at Moomba, one would have to think as long as costs are being met, it is better to stay & keep the competition out. After all, Oil & Gas is CHC's "Core Business" even though it would appear otherwise in Oz. :rolleyes:

PO dust devil
15th Mar 2005, 01:38
I enjoy dunking Arnott's biscuits with my nescafe instant with Australian water boiled in my chinese made kettle. I love Subway and my Nokia phone. I drive a ford and fly Bell, SK, Eurocopter for money and don't forget an Aussie flag at the front of my home. I travel QANTAS stay at the hilton and drink bundaberg. They all do the job safely, physically, commercially and emotionally for me. Home grown or imported is irrelevent.

Perhaps there are those on this thread who would like an African style affirmative dysfunction as a model for government and other contract criteria.

I look for a company that has demonstrated a commitment to safety, pays a market rate, and treats it's people fairly.

PO dust devil
15th Mar 2005, 10:38
Sorry fellows, the only Moomba I know about is a street parade in Melbourne. I think it's Australian owned, but of course it may have been bought out by Bernie Ecclestone & coy, then turned into a car race. Add F1 to my list of things which aren't Australian but do a great job.

Do Moomba Bag Pipe bands qualify as home grown? OR Home groan? In fact, add bag pipe bands to my list of semi indigenous things I enjoy. See the previous list which includes Bundaberg and the Australian flag.

I think SLSA lifesavers do a fantastic job, but I think I even saw an Asian female lifesaver recently. Big and small world isn't it.

Maybe some xenophobe could tell me whether they would decline being pulled from the surf by someone originally from outside Australia? Trolls.

Aussie Mate
15th Mar 2005, 13:06
There are Asian Females, and Asian Females...!!!!

Unfortunately I have met both types, but that is a story for another day all together.

sling load
16th Mar 2005, 04:25
Well, all i can say is that Australian Helicopters have chosen to be price leaders in that area. CHC were price leaders for a time as well, but had wonderful contracts that allowed for 'hidden' additions at an absolute premium.

But like all businesses, CHC have overheads that need to be met, and the Adelaide work should contribute to these overheads, maybe AH dont have the overheads, or, the need to show a return on investment yet.

Red Wine
16th Mar 2005, 09:47
Well Vice Like, yes you are now out from under the rock.

There are names for people that betray trust, be that requested information or not, but I suspect my pathetic friend, you’re a loser that would not understand that some people actually may put faith in another so call professional.

I know full well, that no one will ever trust you again. You’re a pathetic individual.

I suspect the flaw in your character runs deep, very deep.

What an absolute embarrassing cretin you turned out to be.

3 o'clock
16th Mar 2005, 11:45
Vice Like,

As the previous posters have suggested, you are indeed an untrustworthy, bottom-dwelling, low life. And to top it off your malicious actions have probably weakened your argument – on second thoughts, please disregard my first sentence; you sir, are a DI@K...
:mad: :mad: :yuk:

High Nr
16th Mar 2005, 23:17
Just go away you silly little man.

John Eacott
17th Mar 2005, 22:15
Having had the opportunity to talk to some of those involved, Australian Helicopters deserve our support and congratulations on their achievements to date, and the award of their new contract.

They have negotiated (as did CHC) for about 3 years toward this outcome, and have won the contract fairly and innovatively. The equipment required was dictated by the client, leaving AH with start up costs way above those of the incumbent. To win against such odds, professionaly and "thinking outside the square", is to their credit, and to the benefit of the industry.

fullflaps
18th Mar 2005, 00:03
John,
As a up and coming pilot in the game, I would like to thank you for the confidence your post gives some of us that there is some professionalism at the top end of the market.
Watching some of the comments that have been made over the last few months on issues like this one and the Wollongong situation, I was starting to loose some respect for the pilots that I should be looking up to for their advice and respect. It is comments like yours that still give me some hope that I have made the correct move in spending a :mad: load of money trying to advance my career so that I may one day fly up there in the top end of the market. :ok:
Keep up the good work,

FF.

wishtobflying
18th Mar 2005, 04:51
I see Vice Like has either removed his posts or has been moderated away, so I will remove my post as it adds nothing to the discussion.

irh
18th Mar 2005, 08:15
FF,

You mention that you are loosing respect for the pilots in higher jobs due to the recent posts. I cannot speak about the present topic but I can give some insight into the Wollongong situation that you mentioned.

To my understanding only about 5% of the posts on the Wollongong site where done by CASA licenced people the rest where done by non aviators with little understanding of the industry. They where there to make a point and try and muddy aviation and bring it down to the same level as the warfs, due to the union involvement.

The professional aviators made very little comment because it was so obvious to the trained eye how stupid the comments where.

Unfortunately, as a new comer to aviation it is hard for you to differentiate between fact and fiction. It becomes harder still when people can hide behind an alias and write whatever crap they like.

My suggestion to you is that you keep your head down and progress through the industry, one day you could be in a position where you are able to give advise to the new generation.

High Nr
19th Mar 2005, 09:53
As I said before you cowardly removed your posts.

Just go away you silly little man.

Shlaaper
23rd Mar 2005, 02:35
FF,
Oh my god, I've heard it all now. My poor disillusioned friend! Have you not noticed the name of this web site? Its a bit of an oxymoron really! What is professional about rumors? Wake up!This industry is rife with politics and back stabbing and no amount of sucking up to those who have been in it for longer than you will get you anything but a reputation for kissing butt!:yuk:

sling load
23rd Mar 2005, 02:39
Has anyone heard how the South Care contract in Canberra is panning out?
Is CHC staying there, or has AH added that to thier list?

SASless
23rd Mar 2005, 02:58
Full Flaps....

You can hang on every word of what Eacott says....he might be a bit scruffy....but he knows from whence he speaks. You can do a lot worse than listening to him. Hang around this place long enough and you will be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

fullflaps
23rd Mar 2005, 06:44
Shlaaper,

It appears obvious to me that the doctor schlaaped you too hard at birth (or maybe not hard enough).
If I care to make a compliment to a fellow aviator on his\her professionalism either to their face or by any other means available, then it is just that "a compliment".

I may have only been a pilot for a limited amount of time, but I've been in the industry for enough years to have a very good idea of the types of people that frequent it, and with comments like yours, you "my friend" are exactly the type of person that I have avioded. Your probably the one standing out the front telling all the other pilots your war stories for the umpteenth time!

I know that the only thing that shall get me into the type of work that I have earmarked is study and hard work and maybe a little insider trading, but hey, thats the steps we take in life,eh? If I do happen to be in a position to work around high time pilots, then I only hope that it is their professionalism and knowledge that wears off onto me, not the back stabing and bitching that you talk about!

I do not and will not apoligise to you or anyone else for giving a compliment to anyone that I see fit!

End of story.......

Thanks for your comment SaSless

FF

Nite son
23rd Mar 2005, 22:16
fulflaps.
Speaking of war stories, if you have been in the industry as long as you say you have, then you would of heard some interesting ones about your hero Sydney lounge discounter (JE)
ie. Low rider BK, Belly scraping S76, not to mention his fire fighting exploits!

Perhaps you should re think the people that you are sucking up to! :ok:

Shlaaper
24th Mar 2005, 01:44
Ahh Full Flaps as your name suggests, you are surely operating at a reduced speed. You are right about one thing, in this industry you would be best to stay away from people like myself as reality appears to be but one of your issues!
Nite son, it seems, knows a little more about this industry than just what he has read in a text book. As for Aussie Helicopters my congratulations to them. Only time will tell if they can service the contract....

Chinook
24th Mar 2005, 03:22
(shocked stare)

I always thought the helicopter game was a fun place to work.

Hi JE, hope you had a good time at Avalon.

John Eacott
24th Mar 2005, 04:20
Chook,

Yes, thanks :)

NSon,

Wow, you registered today just for that :rolleyes:

Nothing secret about my mistakes in life, and I've never tried to pretend otherwise. I'd rather discuss such things so others can learn, than watch another make a fatal error one day. "Fire fighting exploits" puzzles me though: - and you forgot the wire strike :p

gadgetguru
24th Mar 2005, 05:29
a wise man learns from others' mistakes...
...a fool learns by making his own

(thanks for sharing)

Dargan
24th Mar 2005, 06:38
The giant might just sit under a tree and wait to see what Australian Helicopters can or cant do.
It is yet to be seen what the wages and conditions they offer in the industry and then we can all see what we do or do not want to aspire to!
maybe it wont be long for the chocolate wheels and meat trays to hit the local pub at nights.
As for those up and coming who aspire to the best they need to remember we all need to keep wages , conditions and standards at the top of the list and help the industry stay together rather than another outfit just showing up and undermining it all again just so they can take over.

By the way did you all see channel seven news tonight where Careflight now have channel seven convinced that they are the only ones in Sydney who know how to do head trauma.
It seems they are the only ones carrying a doctor who can give blood? and it seems they have the most powerful chopper?
They also said they are the only ones who have one of those scoop stretchers. they are special you know!

So it seems every other operator in NSW has got it wrong?
Has anyone asked Westpac or SouthCare how they do it?

Or is the Careflight media machine just misappropriating more of the community funds with a fear campaign?
How can they afford one of those "most powerful" choppers when they couldnt keep their 412?

Keep smiling boys and girls.

The giant is just sitting in the shade for a while.

Dargs

Shlaaper
24th Mar 2005, 19:35
I wonder if the giant will watch the VPAW contract float past from his shady tree.......

ApocalypseThen
24th Mar 2005, 22:57
Careflight Helicopter trial aims to cut rate of brain injuries
By Anne Davies, Sydney Morning Herald State Political Editor
March 25, 2005 - 12:03AM
CareFlight will fly specialist doctors and emergency teams by helicopter to accidents involving head injuries to see if it shortens treatment times and the chances of additional brain damage.
The NRMA is sponsoring the $11.2 million three-year trial, which will compare the results for head injury patients of those treated at the scene with those treated in the normal way by ambulance and moved to hospital.
Dr Alan Garner, CareFlight's medical director, said there were indications from Europe that treating people at the scene could halve the likelihood of a poor recovery. This is because secondary injuries are often sustained because the patient had low blood pressure or poor oxygen uptake. "We know from studies that about 40 per cent of people have low blood pressure before they reach hospital, and for a brain injury that's very bad," Dr Garner said.
"CareFlight can correct that in 80 per cent of cases because we carry four units of blood and we can transfuse the patient." He said that in London teams found they could get within 200 metres of most accidents, despite the built-up environment.
Dr Garner said the doctor and medical team could also administer anaesthetics needed to get patients intubated, even when they had a brain injury, so their oxygen levels could be kept up.
The trial involves the NRMA CareFlight aiming to get a helicopter to half of head injury accidents within 15 minutes.
The NSW State Premier, Bob Carr, who launched the trial, said it was a wonderful task. "If a reduction in severe disability and death rates can be demonstrated, then the benefits will be enormous and clearly worth it," he said.
Asked whether he would fund a full-scale CareFlight operation, the Premier said: "It would be impossible to avoid if the results come through."
Severe head injury is the most common cause of death from accidents for people aged under 40 and a leading cause of disability in the Australian community.
The NRMA is sponsoring the trial because it believes it might dramatically reduce insurance claims in the future. NRMA Insurance Group's Doug Pearce said head injuries in motor vehicle crashes cost the NSW public more than $180million a year.
"About one third of people with head injuries die and one-fifth are left with long-term severe disability. We hope this trial will show how specialist trauma care at the crash scene will help improve the recovery outcomes of injured people."

nonac
25th Mar 2005, 00:37
Fear not, Shlaaper......... The Giant's happy.

Aquaboy
25th Mar 2005, 01:33
Appears that Shlaaper is trying to goad anyone he can into a slanging match, whilst he hasn't made even one constructive comment to this whole post.:rolleyes:
Maybe Full Flaps was correct in the notion of him being the one standing out the front spinning waries to anyone that would listen, only thing is he may also wear oversized shoes, makeup, a wig and a big red nose, the clown!:8

Quickdraw
25th Mar 2005, 03:57
Once again congrats to Aussie Helicopters (AH) on winning the SA GOV contract!

I'm not sure I agree with John Eacott's comment that they were innovative?? How, if they won it on a conforming bid does this become innovative? Maybe John is after 'a' piece of the action?

John's post - "They have negotiated (as did CHC) for about 3 years toward this outcome, and have won the contract fairly and innovatively. The equipment required was dictated by the client, leaving AH with start up costs way above those of the incumbent. To win against such odds, professionaly and "thinking outside the square", is to their credit, and to the benefit of the industry."

Thinking outside the square? What do you mean by this John?.

The giant has won and lost contracts before, and they will continue to do so in the future. They are not sleeping, falling behind, getting lazy it's the way the world works. The reason they became the giant was that they were a very profitable company which attracted the big players to buy them out. Don't forget that our own Aussie Helicopters get's some of their cash from our Asian friends, maybe one day they will become attactive to an overseas company and they too will sell up. It's about making money... I am all for competition but not for the sake of just having competition. The standards do need to stay (wages & conditions) if they don't it is not competition it's just a cheaper version. The Giant and The Bristow's etc are at the top of the 'GA' ladder, the JE's and AH's are not! So let's not get carried away with this achivement of AH's they have a long way to go.

We can all sell a service... the question is can we sell it at the right price!!!!

Best of luck to the new pilot's, crewman, engineer's who will be employed by AH! please keep them competitive don't let them reduce the wages & conditions that the Giant currently provides.

Quickdraw.

Nite son
25th Mar 2005, 03:57
Aquaboy, i agree with you in terms of shlaaper. But given his limitted time on forum. Maybe a second chance is in order to help him regain some composure. I think that he needs to learn, like i have, that this forum shouldnt be so agressive!
Some of my coments made the other day were not very constructive as well.
We should all be looking to learn from others!
This way hopfuly the industry can move forward positively!

:E

John Eacott
25th Mar 2005, 06:54
Quickdraw,

AH have won the Adelaide contract over a protracted period of negotiation, and were able to do so by offering "value added" outcomes which CHC failed to match. I would betray a confidence if I were to elaborate further, whether you accept that is up to you. Probity issues for the Government agencies concerned ensured that both tenderers were on a level playing field, however. AH will employ an extra 17 crews to service the contract, which has to benefit us all.

I have no involvement with AH whatsoever, and fully agree that we are at different ends of the GA spectrum. With my 6 aircraft against AH's 25+, the common ground of fleet size isn't even there, but I talk to them, as I do to Bristow and many others in our industry, and benefit from the ability to do so :D

soggyboxers
25th Mar 2005, 09:57
Nite Son,

You're right about some of your comments not being not too constructive, but at least you have learned from your mistakes and admitted that this is so. John has always admitted to any of his mistakes, but he has used them and all his other long-term experience to try and help others to learn. He has posted many interesting and helpful comments on this forum.

gadget guru,

I think you're partly right, but in this industry everyone has either made a mistake at some time, or will eventually end up doing so. The foolish ones are those that don't admit to their mistakes or learn from them, as well as the mistakes of others. The really dangerous ones are those that don't admit to their mistakes and, where they have caused exceedance of aircraft limitations, fail to report them thereby potentially endangering the lives of others.

As John says, the main thing with the new contract is that it offers employment to an additional 17 crews and that must benefit all of you in the Australian industry.

The Tox
25th Mar 2005, 10:24
QD - Perhaps you need to review history, CHC (Australia) didn't manage to get bought out because they were attractive etc to the overseas 'Big Boys', it was through a deal made between the late Guy LLoyd and the Bond Brothers that Lloyd Helicpoters, as it was known then, crossed into international ownership to Bond Helicopters. Bond were bought out by Helikopter Services (Norway) and Lloyds were strapped on for the ride. H.K.S. was the operator that was attractive to CHC International - again Lloyds were on for the ride. The name change to CHC (Australia) was part of the identity change for the 'global' operator.

As for the VPAW contract - the title of this thread summed it up, CHC "The Sleeping Giant". An operator can win a contract on the merit of the proposal or lose it based on performance delivery and hollow promises. Let's see if the snooze alarm has sounded early enough.

Regarding John Eacott's remarks - Good on you John. They were on the ball and unbiased. Always a pleasure to read your remarks. It disappoints me to look at (notice I didn't say read) so many disparaging and derogative remarks from a group that consider themselves to be "professional".

Quickdraw
26th Mar 2005, 10:36
John,

I agree that AH put in the hard work and hard negotiating to win the contract... I never suggested they didn't. You made a comment "Thinking out side the square"

What did they do (other than provide a more competitive price) that warrant's an off the cuff comment of "Thinking out side the square". I am also not asking you to talk out of school, employing 17 personnel is not by choice, the contract is set up that way so who ever won it would be in the same boat.

Tox,

While your giving a history lesson, just for your notes... CHC is still Lloyd Helicopters - Trading as CHC Helicopters.

The Tox
26th Mar 2005, 12:02
QD

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize I should have included that information in my post. Really, my intention was to correct the suggestion that Lloyd Helicopters was bought out because they were profitable and attracted the attention of CHC through their (Lloyd's) activities, when this was not the case. But since you raised the point of trading names, did you know that Lloyd Helicopters have several different trading identities under the banner of CHC Helicopters (Australia)? It's irrelevant though and has nothing to do with this thread.

Happy Easter to All

Quickdraw
27th Mar 2005, 11:15
Tox...

Yes I do know that... and they are not trading identities to be correct CHC is the trading identity, the other ones are companies... and you are right... it's of the topic!

I have enjoyed my Easter, thank you! hope you do the same.

QD

Shlaaper
27th Mar 2005, 23:01
Quickdraw, I think Johns' comment about Aussie Helicopters "thinking outside the square" refers to their upper managements ability to "shmooze' the right people, not that they won the contract based purely on that. A cheaper price always helps! Unfortunately with a reduced cost comes reduced service or reductions in employee conditions and ultimately reduced safety. "you pay peanuts you get monkeys!" As machinery and set up costs would be roughly be the same for both CHC and AH, (In fact probably cheaper for CHC due to their size) one can only summize that the cost savings will be felt in the hip pockets of those charged with the responsibility of keeping the contract operationally safe. Competition is great, to a point......

Aquaboy, I make it a policy not to enter into a battle of wits with an unarmed man. As such stop wasteing bandwidth with your ignorance.

Nite son you're just an idiot!

High Nr
28th Mar 2005, 01:59
Its those against them time again I see.

Being a provocative fella as I am, its easy to “see” those that are within the Giant, but yet cant see the arrogance of their postings, and those that sit around other parts of the industry and watch it all go flying by.

Think about it: My last view into Greenhill Road [CHC Adelaide HQ] had more than 45 non productive shiny bums tucked away in close confines, which means about 2 persons for each aircraft deployed. Australian Helicopters [Yes Aussie- Yawn!!] have about 3 helicopters for each bum.

And of course the Canadians Stripped off the assets of Lloyd Helicopters and refinanced the Aussie Fleet with Canadian Banks. Not to mention all the profits and the “Foreign Monthly Contribution” that CHC International Head Office extract from Adelaide [more AUD$ leaving forever] to fund the Canadian Shiny Bums habits.

Wonder why the costs can be contained in a slicker and more focused group?—"Overheads".

[Please don't toddle out the pulling of the "safety" heart strings, when there is no other tangible aspects to persue, its a weak case and indefensible at this stage].

One quick question for all the Giants Folk: Who is the CHC Australian Boss???

Thought so!!

The faceless Giant: I rest again.

Av8r
28th Mar 2005, 04:21
High Nr 12th March:. I have never worked in your CHC system or even applied for such work.
High Nr 28th March:My last view into Greenhill Road [CHC Adelaide HQ] had more than 45 non productive shiny bums tucked away.... So which one is it? You were fixing the photocopier?
Your inconsistencies are really damaging your alleged impartial stance and overall credibility.
Get over it. Move on. It's not healthy.

High Nr
28th Mar 2005, 05:28
Soon to be either changing hats or joining a company on the move, or maybe, most likely neither.

Read [if you make the effort], as my previous posts stand..!!

Can you work that out?

You have one very defensive attitude, but then again I can understand why.

Now, rather than challenge me Mr Bendigo, attack the question, not the man.

Gymble Stop
28th Mar 2005, 05:49
Hi Nr
There simply is not enough Kiwis around to fill all the positions that are soon to become available both here in SA and in NSW. So we will be looking for slick operators like you.

We already have a Kiwi Chief Engineer who is working out fine. He doesn’t ask for much pay and works hard under difficult circumstances (no spare parts and so on.)

Unlike you Bristow style pilots and engineers working for CHC, we will be looking for real workers. That is where we will gain on efficiency.

Thankyou John for your supportive comments. They haven’t gone un-noticed by those that matter.

Yes we are "thinking outside the square". In fact we are thinking of solutions from outside the country.

All we need now is a 412. If anybody can help please PM me.

Red Wine
28th Mar 2005, 06:13
Good Gracious you guys, sounds like you are married to each other.

I also think its great that AH have dethroned the Giant for a while. However where are all those pilots coming from?.

Looking at the personalities in Adelaide, there could be a few [3 or 4] that will swap uniforms, that still leaves a lot of holes.

Airframes are easy to obtain, Engineers and Flightcrew are a little harder.

Gymble Stop
28th Mar 2005, 06:27
Red Wine
Come and see Dave and I in the Office on Wednesday.
You well know, we will not be taking the incumbent crew. We are looking for a culture change.
We know how to use Kiwis now. All you do is put an ISD Bar on the phone and you have no problems with them.
And if you know where to find a 412 let me know.

Any possibility of a job for me Gymble Stop? ;)
Heliport

Red Wine
28th Mar 2005, 06:41
Thanks for the Offer.......

But right now I am enjoying a long dose of Annual Leave.....and far far away from you guys.....Also I think my job is still there when I strap in again [hope so].

Otherwise I will come knocking.

Good luck to you all.

Yikes
28th Mar 2005, 08:34
I would hope the client will be looking at all of this and be going mmmmmmmmm.......:suspect:

Geoff Williams
28th Mar 2005, 08:54
Settle boys, settle!

Whilst CHC was not successful in this bid, AH were, and that's good for the industry too. For if CHC had been successful, I gather from the comments here that just as many positions would need to be filled for the contract. The more positions that are made available in an otherwise fairly stagnated Oz helicopter industry, the more the growth factor improves.

Working for the "Giant" in a place much less pleasant than Adelaide, I see the company's very big problem in the shortage of ME CIR crew. This shortage is not exclusive to CHC or Nigeria and the African region but even in homeland Canada, experienced flight crew are scarce. So I don't think the CHC guys/gals that are affected by this change of contract will be unable to be utilisd elsewhere. Unfortunately as we all suffer the consequences of being helicopter drivers, the work can cause you to live in places that if you had a choice, you would rather be elsewhere. (just ask me!:ugh: :ugh: ). So good luck to AH, their entry into the market will make it grow, the benefits of which we can all enjoy, including other companys.

As for the comments about John, I have known John for over 20 years, not always have we agreed on things, but I have never found him to be other than honest in all the dealings I have had with him. So I'll stand up on his side for saying what he believes, and putting his name to his comments. It is so easy to go the negative way in commenting about this industry, and I have and still am guilty of this. I promise I'll try harder, if everyone else does.

Geoff

talklimited
28th Mar 2005, 09:37
Gee Geoff.......I'm not sure if you are fishing for a job with AH or John?

;) ;) ;)

buzz light beer
28th Mar 2005, 10:15
A couple of pages back sling load asked about southcare. I had heard that 2 of their crew had cv's ready to send off to Bristow so they could remain there and a 3rd was looking at employment options in WA.

High Nr
28th Mar 2005, 19:36
[I'm ignoring Mr Vice due to his capacity to wirhdraw his hollow statements when challenged, typical fragile ego]

Interesting observation "Buzz", seeing that there are only three crew there. You must be very very close, as I know them well and that seems out of left field to me.

We had an interesting few flights last night, its bedtime now!!!

wishtobflying
28th Mar 2005, 21:45
What a farce this thread is becoming.

If any of you is interested in getting the real story, perhaps you'd like to get in touch with real members of Australian Helicopters' management. You'll find their phone number in the White Pages, or their email addresses on their web site.

With a few notable exceptions (e.g. John E), I don't think you'll find much here other than conjecture and assumption, and in some cases mischief, libel, even fraud. Yes, yes, it's a rumour network, but does that give you a licence to say whatever pops into your head?

Do you think the client gives a toss about what is said here? No, because they know most of the people posting here wouldn't have a clue!

Shlaaper
29th Mar 2005, 01:59
I hope for AH's sake the client isn't watching, because trying to recruit crew and find machines here isn't very professional now is it!

Vice Like, I like the cut of your jib. I haven't laughed like that for some time.

buzz light beer
29th Mar 2005, 05:18
High Nr the last time I passed through the CHC base in Canberra there was a few more than 3 on the books.
Wishtobflying is right - the client doesn't give a toss for any comments on this forum - we are just a bunch of jumped up aviators.
Seems to me it was something of a complement to Lloyd for an international like CHC to by them over some of the other options in the Australian market. The other question is did their standards drop when CHC took over - I think not for the "man at the coal face" so to speak.

Shlaaper
29th Mar 2005, 20:27
High Nr, pulling the "safety heart strings"?! Remind me to never be in the vicinity when you are at the cyclic if you can trivialise safety so easily! Oh, and by the way, the faceless giant you talk of is Chris Ridings. He is head of Australian business for CHC. Want his number?

Thank you Gymble Stop for proving my point. AH is looking for "real workers"! In other words AH is looking for people who will work for nothing! People who will get out of bed every morning and see the "Bristow style pilots and engineers working for CHC" and wonder why they are doing the same job with no spares etc. for less money! How long do you think it will be before they are nicely bitter and twisted?
Come on guys lets be honest, you can use buzz phrases like " thinking outside the square" as much as you like, but when you look "inside the square" all you will see is an operator cutting everything to the bone just to get by. Yes, Guy Lloyd was the same for many years but he was lucky enough to have the NSC fall over and be there with a broom to clean up!

Here is another buzz phrase for you, "keeping it real"!

joedirt
29th Mar 2005, 23:32
Guys....does it really matter who got the deal ? Either way you'll end up flying for A: the one with the job ...or B:who keeps you loyal and happy, which is unlikely, so look again at option A ;)

weigh anchor
29th Mar 2005, 23:59
I'm exhausted!
Have we achieved anything at all in this discussion, or is it just bickering?

Shlaaper
30th Mar 2005, 02:48
wishtobflying: NEWSFLASH:

1. I don't recall ever saying that Gymble Stop worked for AH.

2. Not yet!

Gymble Stop
30th Mar 2005, 08:29
Thanks to all the Kiwis for your private massagers and applications.

Please forward all resumes to the AH head office.

Thanks also for the tip about the 412EP on wheels at Dirty Harry’s has available soon. But they want too much for it. We are working on other options.

Wishtobflying

You are not authorised to represent AH. Please discontinue.

High Nr
30th Mar 2005, 08:40
Hey Weigh.

Your correct, we have achieved very little, however its so enjoyable to get the Giants Disciples all steamed up.
The arrogance and the “only we can do it” attitude is so weak and pompose, that I can’t help myself.

Its so easy to identify these ego’s, so obvious really, and totally understandable when you know the folk themselves.

Big companies are vulnerable to implosion, it’s the dynamics of the group that kill themselves from within, high salaries, high overheads, lower profits, low morale, less active personalities at the coalface, arrogance at executive level.

It’s a real challenge to keep that one step ahead.

Pan AM, United, American Airlines are large companies that are in this situation….but I won’t suggest any helicopter mob, not yet, but watch this space.

Mr. Vice in Adelaide, or AV8r in Bendigo and now a non pilot, Mr. Shlaaper in Melbourne are obviously loyal [or blind] to their cause, and I applaud your defence of your company.

Well done Shlaaper. I was talking to two of your crew the other day, and that question of mine could not be answered.

Maybe your clients have the number [as do I].

sling load
30th Mar 2005, 11:29
This thread is going no where, no one seems to know what happened to the Canberra contract, has any decision been made?

Gymble Stop, I hope your company can keep the contract, cause CHC made stuff all out of it, and it seems to me that youre price leaders, not innovators.

Shlaaper
30th Mar 2005, 20:30
High Nr, You have no idea who is loyal to whom, who works where and what they do for a living.

In fact, I'm beginning to think you have no idea, period.

High Nr
31st Mar 2005, 02:33
Your probably correct.

Are you a Professional Pilot?

Shlaaper
31st Mar 2005, 23:30
Come on High Nr, would I use some moronic handle like Shlaaper if I wanted people to know who I was and what I did?:ok:

SASless
1st Apr 2005, 00:10
Schlaaper....you got a twin named Makila by chance?