PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys get started??

JohnnyP
26th Jun 2004, 04:32
Hello everyone, my first post. Ive been wondering for a while how a young guy in Asia or any foreign area for that matter would go about starting a professional aviation career? I guess i am trying to compare it to what I did and how most of us go about it over here. I am 22 years old, from the U.S., just graduated college and I am currently a flight instructor. I guess I feel kind of sheltered when it comes to professional flying in foreign countries and how people make it happen. Do you all just go to your local flight school and start taking lessons, work your way up to commercial, instructor, etc to build the flight time then try to get on with an airline? Ive read some posts on these cadet programs some of the major carriers have and that seems to maybe be a common way to go about it. What is the general aviation/ private aviation scene like in some of the far east countries? Thanks for any input.

SFontaine
26th Jun 2004, 05:05
I went through a flight academy, then through what I believe is called a bridge/fo program in the US. Then to a medium jet (737) job for several years, then onto a widebody (747) for 8 years, now, back on to a medium jet as command.

Cheers,

JohnnyP
26th Jun 2004, 11:45
Thanks for the replys. Would you say that small flight schools are as common in asia as they are in the united states? Do a lot of people get involved in general aviation and go on to get their licenses?

BlueEagle
26th Jun 2004, 12:32
The answer to that would have to be a big resounding 'NO'.

If you are Asian based then your best bet would, I think, be via the cadet programme of an Asian airline. Alternatively, if you have the right of abode and work in the USA then you may well find that you are better off following the suggested routes above.