PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Australia

alpar80
26th Jun 2004, 03:57
Hi,
I am a current student pilot with a private pilot license studying aviation and working towards my commercial license at a part 141 flight academy in Florida. Recently I have gathered an interest in flying in Australia. I am wondering if I get all of my training in Florida, how hard would it be to convert my license over to an Aussie license and what measures would I have to take in order to do so. Would I have to invest all this time and money that I am here in the states just to do it all over again in Australia? Also, what kinds of airlines in Australia are hiring pilots? I am sure that you would have to start of on the bottom and work your way up, much like here in the states. Any info on how to go about this please let me know.

Thank you.
Alex

tom19
26th Jun 2004, 04:50
hey,

If you have a current american private licence, you will need to do an "Air Law" conversion exam which won't cost you much and just a flight test. I know this because i'm studying with 2 americans who both had to do this....

Fly Jimmy
28th Jun 2004, 08:37
Hey mate
it is quiet easy to convert your livence over however on the other hand obtaining a job is quiet a challenge.

There are already too many unemployed pilots in australia so you might want to try another nation.

take care

alpar80
28th Jun 2004, 13:52
Where would be some places to look on line for charters and such that would be hiring?? I mean since I'm not quite exactly "next-door" and all.... People have been telling me that most people would start in the bush flying mail and parcels and on the other side flying charters, I don't expect to immediatly land a job at Qantas, much like in the U.S. you have to work your way up the ladder. Do you know of any of these companies that are hiring people???

Alex

:confused:

Wizofoz
28th Jun 2004, 14:39
Alex,

While there is a constant (fast or slow depending on economic factors) turnover of staff at most charter and third-level airline companies, they almost never advertise as there is always a thick file of CVs fromprospective applicants, and often people located locally waiting to jump in as soon as a position becomes available.

Probably the best source (and it will give you a feel for the qualifications and experience required in Aus) is Windies regular "Oz Jobs" posts in Aircrew Notices here on PPRUNE.

alpar80
28th Jun 2004, 14:42
Thanks a ton Wiz, I'm considering all possiblilties here. I would love to come over to see your country one day and expecially fly there. I'm only 23 but have big dreams!!

Alex

Bird Strike
2nd Jul 2004, 23:33
Bear in mind immigration is another matter, as in whether you can get a right to work here or not. This may turn out to be a bit of a problem if you don't already have a right to work here.

Woomera
2nd Jul 2004, 23:49
alpar, read here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136164)

By the time you complete your training the Immigration door for pilots will be firmly closed.

Australian pilot employment is a regular subject on these forums. Search PPRuNe Dunnunda for "employment" and you will find a wealth of advice.

Woomera

alpar80
3rd Jul 2004, 00:19
That's a bummer.... :ugh: