PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Air Express

Aero Honduras
25th Jun 2004, 17:57
There are rumors around that this charter company with ties to several Latin American airlines will be phasing out the 727-200īs and replacing them with two more 737-300īs and 4 737-400's. in the next few months.

Anybody has more information on this.

it is on aerotransport.org

AeroHonduras

jrsanch
30th Jun 2004, 02:05
It's about time...
Those 72's are good airplanes, but I guess the cost to fly them and keep them up to date is prety expensive, plus the competition they face is almost all new generation in the markets they serve,
A friend of mine flies with them and they are waiting for this project to materialize

Panama Jack
30th Jun 2004, 05:58
Kinda sad to see the 727's go, but it was inevitable. They have always been my favorite airplane to look at-- had always hoped to fly one, but things were not to be as such.

I few years ago, they sank an old Eastern Airlines 727 off Miami Beach as part of an artificial reef project. It was sad, for me, to see an airplane being deep sixed, like that, but as a scuba diver I was curious and somewhat relieved that at least it wasn't being cut up for scrap-- an interesting dive site for those who like airplanes and for seeing them provide an artifical reef environment for marine life. Unfortunately, I heard storms and hurricanes since then did quite a number on the aircraft, and it is now strewn about wreckage at the bottom of the Atlantic. :sad:

Speaking of airplane wreck dive sites, I know there are a few in the Caribbean. The only one I dove was the wreck of an airplane off Portobelo, Panama. Anyone else?

latinaviation
30th Jun 2004, 11:37
Let's hope so, though I do like the 727-200 a lot. Falcon has got to be one of the more interesting operators, with a host of personalities involved in it.

As the airline becomes more involved in Aeropostal and Sol Air's integration and US routes, I am sure there is internal pressure to upgrade the product.

flufdriver
3rd Jul 2004, 20:11
From what I have heard from friends and acquaintances, "Interesting " is not exactly the metaphor I would use to describe Falcon Air, at least not from a Pilots perspective.

Nevertheless, 72's are exciting airplanes to fly, I loved that airplane! I did my type rating ride in a ex Air Florida ex Braniff 200 with -17R's max TO weight around 200K lbs now that was a machine! (That was back in the mid-80s), and I have over 4000 hours in them, last flew one in 89.

latinaviation
5th Aug 2004, 15:38
Any update on this? I saw plenty of their 722s at MIA over the weekend.

Aero Honduras
5th Aug 2004, 18:09
Check reply # 6 in the Sol air/Aerohonduras discussion.