PDA

View Full Version : Expert wary of Jetstar success

Wirraway
25th Jun 2004, 09:02
AAP

Expert wary of Jetstar success
17:55 AEST
Fri Jun 25 2004

Qantas' budget offshoot Jetstar has just a 50 per cent chance of success, according to a senior air industry forecaster.

"I'm not 100 per cent convinced that Jetstar will be around in five years time," British Airports Authority (BAA) research director Stan Maiden says.

"It's got to be at least 50 per cent likely Jetstar won't work as a model. If you look at airlines around the world that have done that sort of thing, it's quite difficult to have a part of your entity which is operating to a totally different cost structure, competing with yourself."

BAA is the owner of seven airports in the UK, including Heathrow - the world's busiest, and is a partner of the Australian Infrastructure Fund which has stakes in Melbourne, Perth and Darwin airports.

Mr Maiden said just 10-20 per cent of start-up carriers in the UK and Europe had succeeded, including British Airway's low cost carrier Go.

"I'm totally confident that the Virgin Blue model will work but on Jetstar I would say the jury is out," he told analysts in Sydney.

New to the skies, Jetstar launched its first services in May, taking on the Richard Branson-backed Virgin Blue, which now has taken more than 30 per cent of the local domestic market since it began three years ago.

Mr Maiden is not the first expert to cast doubt on Jetstar's chance of survival: four weeks ago Flight Centre chief Graham Turner said Jetstar's decision not to use travel agent distribution would hurt the carrier's numbers.

Mr Maiden, a forecaster since the 1960s, was critical of Jetstar's decision to run services from Avalon in Victoria as an alternative to Tullamarine.

"If they were going to make a success out of Avalon they shouldn't have operated any Jetstar services from Melbourne, they are competing with themselves," he said.

"Apart from cheaper parking I don't see what Avalon has got going for it, I don't see that as being sustainable."

On the same subject, Mr Maiden believes a second international airport for Sydney is both unnecessary and would not be used if it was built.

A then state-of-the-art airport on the outskirts of the Canadian city of Montreal, built in 1975, has recently been mothballed due to a lack of use.

"Unless you are in an economy where you can dictate that the closest-to-town airport will close the other will never compete," he said.

Sydney Airport could be used more intensively, Mr Maiden said, pointing out that London's Heathrow now handles 460,000 flights per year when government experts had once said it could safely cope with no more than 350,000.

============================================

airsupport
25th Jun 2004, 09:12
Posted the exact same story at exactly the same time. :uhoh:

I will delete mine as it will probaly get either censorsed or me into trouble. ;)

Leave this one as it will be allowed. :ok:

PS.... When I deleted the other IDENTICAL topic, there was already one "reply" from someone, please now post it here on this IDENTICAL topic, unless it was just a personal attack, surely not. ;)

commander adama
25th Jun 2004, 13:36
Had mine deleted. Funny thing was I didn't even insult anyone???

airsupport
25th Jun 2004, 19:03
Yes, your posting on my identical thread was deleted when I deleted the thread, sorry about that, however it was a bit silly having 2 identical threads.

Odd though, how what you deemed as so important to say on MY thread, you have still not said on this INDENTICAL thread, even though both the title and content is the same word for word? :confused:

Why is that, IF it wasn't a personal attack?

Rind Skin
26th Jun 2004, 00:04
Oh that posting on your identical thread was deleted??? How frightfully awful...!!! Well I never..... and not even a personal attack !!

Geepers mate.... I'm sorry but with about 9 pints under my belt I just see this line as absolute total boollocks.

goodnight

airsupport
26th Jun 2004, 00:51
At first after reading your post I was concerned for your mental well being, but then I see where you are a 2 year old, so I guess none of your posts would make much sense. ;)

PLEASE take this the right way, a 2 year old should really not drink that much. :uhoh:

Romeo Tango Alpha
26th Jun 2004, 03:58
Purely based on customers opinions, I tend to agree.

J* is going to have to do SOMETHING with the A320's if they want to suceed. J* is CUREENTLY NOT USER FRIENDLY.

Customer reaction so far to J* has been VERY negative as a whole, especially for those with children. J*'s reaction seems to be if you don't like it, fly QANDOM instead. Great attitude! NOT!

If J* management (the Clayton's 4 letter word) were to consider J* as an airline in it's own right, rather than just a competitor to DJ, they may go somewhere.

I still, regardless of everyone's opionion, think Qantas considers J* the Ugly Red Haired Step Child.

Jet Jockey
27th Jun 2004, 10:34
I am an Ex AN driver in Europe been here for 2 years. Jetstar has Ryanair management and their way of thinking. Things in Europe are totally different to back in OZ. Over here you have a large mass of people travelling occaisionally. It is virtually impossible to upset these passengers. Massive delays cramped conditions, old junger aeroplanes. As long as the sun shines and they can have a smoke at the other end.
The oz market is quite different. A lot less people travelling more frequently. Aussie won't put up with the same conditions as the Europeans. So I think Jetstar is a head of its time trying them on back home and will have to soften their approach.
But then again its not about the service. Its about lower pay and conditions for the staff. Geoff can always ramp up the airline services later on. Rynair is talking about passenger entertainment services now in Europe.!!!

OverRun
27th Jun 2004, 16:00
How refreshing to see commonsense spoken.

Stan Maiden is more then welcome to come and speak again.