PDA

View Full Version : Australian Tax Accountants?

sinala1
25th Jun 2004, 01:23
Can anyone recommend a good tax accountant in Brisbane - one who is familiar with Aviation and understands the industry we work in? I am looking for someone who will let me claim all the things I am legally allowed to, and point out things to me that I was unaware of....

Cheers! :ok:

Miss Pam Ann
25th Jun 2004, 08:25
Hi sinala1 :)

I agree with Biccie Chucker....I found a good tax fellow thru the FAAA....that was with the old Ansett days however. I don't think it matters who really does your tax....you just have to know what you can claim. Call the ATO and see what F/A's can claim hun.

In my opinion (and it's just that) to save some costs, do as much calculating of expenses yourself, as you can babe. Then submit the rest to your tax man (errrrr...or woman...sowwy).

At the end of the day, whatever you claim (and say you claim :\ know what I mean???) you are the one that signs the tax declaration. Take it from me, it's you who explains to the ATO...not the Tax Man!!!

All the best sinala1....hope you get a great return!

Many happy returns!!! (pardon the pun)

Miss Pam Ann xxx ;) ;) ;)

....here to save your ass honey....not kiss it....

negotiator
26th Jun 2004, 05:22
Can anyone recommend a good accountant in MEL who is familiar with the aviation industry?

ferris
26th Jun 2004, 10:23
Peter Boswell, of Peter Boswell and associates is excellent. Fully conversant with aviation related deductions.
Make sure that; if it's the young bloke who you actually see- that he contacts Peter himself to check for all those odd things like panty-hose, hair treatments, make-up etc. that you are allowed to claim, but no-one else seems to know about.

sinala1
26th Jun 2004, 17:33
Just wondering if Peter Boswell is BNE or MEL?

Cheers

ferris
26th Jun 2004, 22:18
Mel. But if enough of you got together on the same weekend, he'd probably sort you all out at once. Ask him.

I know I sound like his PR person, but too many accountants had the attitude "we'd better not ask for that, they might knock it back". He knows his av stuff, and will go for as much as possible.

sinala1
27th Jun 2004, 03:10
Thanks heaps for that... I may even need to take a day trip to MEL to visit him... Do you know how much he charges?

Inflight BBQ's
28th Jun 2004, 01:43
Hey Sinner, (OOPS!! I mean Sinala!)

Last year I went saw Sharon down the coast that half of VB went to. Was wrapped with the return, however, last week I recieved a letter from ATO specifically directed at aviation industry staff, outlining things you can and can't claim. Didn't say that we would be gettting audited but did say that they would be paying more attention.

Was a diplomatic, but NO BULL $#!+ letter about calims. Didn't say anything about DTA though. Thats what seemed to make up the majority of my return last year. Accountant said it was legit.

sinala1
28th Jun 2004, 03:41
Sinnner? Hey I have been good recently!!! (oops except LST a few weekends ago :ooh: :O )

Tell me more about DTA? I have heard differing views on this... I know we can't claim any tax back from our overnight allowances (seeing as they are not taxed in the first place!) but our DTA is taxed... What was the reasoning that Sharon used?

Cheers hey....

ps whens the photo shoot for the calender? I know you are keen on it :yuk: :p

ozskipper
28th Jun 2004, 11:02
Hey Inflight

Don't worry about that letter from the ATO. Its a generic letter sent to out randomly based on your claiming history.

You haven't been specifically targetted (yet)... Trust me on this one, speaking from experience!!

playingup
28th Jun 2004, 11:28
There is a very creative accountant at Archerfield and he understands aviation very well as he runs a fine collection of warbirds. Trouble is he was sentenced to 4 years jail last week!

sinala1
28th Jun 2004, 22:45
Hmm playingup... thats a bit unfortunate!

www.visityouraccountantinjail.com.au huh? :E

bugger

ditzyboy
28th Jun 2004, 23:19
Hey Sinala1 -
Steve Lockwood at Lockwood Corp is fantastic. Nice guy too. He is in SYD but you guys get down here enough for that not to be an issue. He had 1500 AN cabin crew on his books alone (and many others). I haven't heard of anyone who has anything bad to say about this guy.

He is in Clarence Street in the city. Near Wynyard Station. 02 9299 7044.

sinala1
28th Jun 2004, 23:30
Cheers Ditz, I will have to give him a call and see what he has to say... surprisingly I have very few SYD's these days, only 1 next month, but staff travel is easy enough anyway!

Thanks! :ok:

sinala1
25th Jul 2004, 00:18
Howdy all

Going to see Steve in SYD on monday, so will let you know my thoughts....

Hope all is well and that everyone is enjoying their flying!

Cheers

Qwannas
27th Jul 2004, 06:00
Hi Sinala1,

Today I went to see my Accountant who is BNE based. I was originally given his name from a co worker who also uses him. This accountant is very familiar with the 'industry perks' of aviation.

I have been using him for the last 4 tax returns and have found him to be excellent. Always, always gets me a great return. (Same deal goes for my hubby and he is not in the industry.)

Details are:

Michael Coughlin,
Level 7,
193 North Quay (Corner of Herschell Street)
Phone: 3236 2726

Hope I am not too late for you.

x

sinala1
27th Jul 2004, 10:24
Hi Qwannas

Thanks heaps for the advice, just missed me though, I went to see Steve in sydney yesterday... I was suitably impressed with him I have to say! Yes its a pain him being in sydney, but oh well I dont mind doing the trip down there for the day, and from what I can tell they are quite popular with flight crew as I saw at least 3 other flight attendants before and after my meeting with him...

Cheers for the thought anyway though!

Many happy returns (no pun intended! :ok: :E )