PDA

View Full Version : Downloaded a malign force.....

None of the above
24th Jun 2004, 17:17
Last evening I ran a Spybot check which alerted me to something called DCON Executable residing on my C Drive in Downloaded Program Files. I have recently downloaded toolbars from the following search engines:

Google (Version 2 which replaced V.1 on my system)
Vivisimo
Teoma
Copernic Meta

I've purged the Spyware without detrimental effect as far as I can see, but I'm concerned that some damage may have been done.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jun 2004, 18:31
None of the above,

It is one thing to download Malware, it is another to execute it. Did you run the file listed as Malware on your computer?

Take Care,

Richard

None of the above
24th Jun 2004, 18:55
Thanks Richard........

I didn't run the Malware as far as I am aware. I realise that sounds unhelpful . The only thing I have run is an update from Zone Alarm Pro which I am assuming is OK and consequently didn't mention it in my first post. I am not aware of having been tricked into running anything else. Indeed my first realisation of there being anything amiss was when Spybot fingered it.
Does any of this help at all, or have I only served to confuse the issue?

Thanks,

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jun 2004, 20:16
None of the above,

It sounds like you are in good shape. :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Just keep updating and scanning your computer regularly. (Do not forget to backup your data on a regular basis too.) ;)

None of the above
24th Jun 2004, 20:32
Thanks, Richard.......

Proceed to nearest east facing window.......... open.......... listen carefully....... and hear Trans-Atlantic sigh of relief!

Thanks again,

N o t a

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th Jun 2004, 02:37
None of the above,

It just made it across the pond. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you every have any questions at all, ask them here. We are always happy to help.