PDA

View Full Version : All-in-one printer/scanner/fax

PilotsPal
24th Jun 2004, 16:25
I'm considering the purchase of an all-in-one and wondered if there are any opinions based on experience that someone might feel inclined to share?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jun 2004, 18:19

All-in-One's do everything but none of them very well. As long as you know that going in, and are happy with the compromises, then you will be fine.

Take Care,

Richard

Phoenix09
24th Jun 2004, 18:44
I have an Epsom Stylus CX6400 which I am very pleased with. It is a printer, copier and scanner all in one.

It has some good reviews which can be found via a Google search.

I only use it for home use but have found the quality to be excellent and certainly quicker to print than my old HP Deskjet 720C that it replaced.

Daysleeper
25th Jun 2004, 20:20
I have an HP1210.
It prints very slowly,
It Scans Very very slowly and it photocopies reasonably well.
It drags many sheets of paper through at a time meaning you cant leave it alone to print off documents. Its a bit fuzzy at printing pictures and the scanning software is a bit cr*p as well. I'd say you could have it if you pay the postage but quite frankly you dont want it even if it was free and I paid £100 :(
Has been useful having a photocopier in the house though.
Still just bought a canon printer, much better.

Capt Chambo
26th Jun 2004, 06:46
I recently purchased a Hewlett Packard HP 2510psc. It is a printer, scanner, photocopier, and fax machine, with built-in wireless (802.11b).

It gets good reviews in the various computer magazines, and I am pleased with it. My only reservation with it is with the scanning side which seems to be slow, and scanned documents, when saved to my computer are HUGE, so I don't use that facility often.

slj
26th Jun 2004, 07:45
I have a HP 1205 which for light domestic use is a competent machine. It produces reasonable print, scans well and is a good copier.

Had the original just before Christmas. Died on me around mid April. Replacement came from Germany by courier on date promised almost immediately.

The HP 1205 is small and doesn't clutter the place. However, if it is to have a lot of work then don't bother. It is also a machine that does not like rough handling.

spekesoftly
26th Jun 2004, 13:03
Our family machine is an HP psc 950 printer/fax/scanner/copier, and after more than two years use, we are still very pleased. It performs to a high standard, is very easy to use, saves a huge amount of desk space compared to the previous separates, and downloading digital photos, using the integrated flash card slots, is a doddle. Never regretted buying it.

Romeo Tango Alpha
26th Jun 2004, 13:12
I have a Lexmark X1140. I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!!!!!!!

It scans FANTASTICALLY - you can set ANY resolution you want!

It prints FANTASTICALLY - better than most! It will do a max of 4800 DPI!!!!!!! (in other words, photos come out AS PHOTOS on photo paper, even under a loup! The print speed is GOOD at low resolution (300 DPI)

It works PERFECTLY as a photocopier

I have NOT used it as a fax YET, but am planning to (I have a stand alone fax).

The only drawback is the print cartridges are small - generally only get 5 HIGH resolution photo prints before they run low on ink. Printing text etc, they last about 300 sheets.

They are also pretty cheap - I paid under $150 Australian for mine.

stagger
26th Jun 2004, 14:02
Bear in mind that if you use a scanner + inkjet printer as you would a photocopier you will get through ink cartridges pretty fast which can be expensive.

This applies whether the scanner + inkjet printer are separate or together in an "all-in-one".

If you "photocopy" a text document that doesn't have a completely white background (e.g. a newspaper cutting) you may find the printer uses a lot of ink to generate that shaded background.

PilotsPal
28th Jun 2004, 12:13
Thank you all for your input. The faithful old DeskJet 720c seems to have had a new lease of life since being installed on the new pc, and the HP scanner I have has never been a problem so I think I'll leave things as they are for a while yet.