Mark Lewis
24th Jun 2004, 14:10
Its not, its being built over/through/in :(

Desk Driver
24th Jun 2004, 14:13
Will they not open a new one at all?

SilentHandover
24th Jun 2004, 15:23
Latest rumour in the Ivory tower is that BAA were so amazed by the financial success of the viewing area at Manchester during the Champions League football final last year they are considering a viewing park at Gatwick.

Desk Driver
24th Jun 2004, 15:51
Thanks for info

St Helens
29th Jun 2004, 21:59
On a related topic - can anyone give information of good areas at Gatwick for spotting and photography.
I have detailed areodrome chart of EGKK which shows some of the roads around the airport. Heathrow and Gatwick could really learn a lesson from Manchester. I have made several trips to Manchester and it really has good facilities and the GM Police were very friendly as well. I live 20 miles from Heathrow and find it so frustrating now with areas being closed off and the work on T5 virtually destroying any good places at the western end of the airport.
Thanks in anticipation :ok:

JB007
30th Jun 2004, 14:14
Head down the road towards Charlwood, I think it's pretty good...and more importantly you can get a beer at The Flight Tavern!:ok:

Biggles Flies Undone
30th Jun 2004, 15:03
Yep, agree with JB. Western end of the runway has room to park on the verge (but only worth visiting if landings are from the West). Flight Tavern beer is OK (and it gets full of totty on a warm summer's evening) - and it's about at the rotation point for Westerly departures, which can be impressive. Carry on towards the terminal and there's the emergency gate by the roundabout - adequate but difficult to get a clear view if you want to take pics.

St Helens
30th Jun 2004, 16:17
JB & Biggles Flies Undone

Thank you:O

Not only good info on viewing but a pub thrown in to. Wonderful.
I will look to get down there over the next week and do a recon.
Thanks again guys (sorry I am asuming you are)

St Helens:ok: