PDA

View Full Version : Getting on with Sunstate and *********....

roverlad
24th Jun 2004, 04:39
Hi,

I will be just finishing my Multi Ifr sometime this winter and I will be lucky enough to be landing a job with Kenn Borek Air. I plan to fly with them until I become a captain(4-5 years)
My g/f and I plan on moving to Oz in about 4-5 years and would ideally like to move up to Cairns in Northern Oz.. I see that both Sunstate and ********* both operate Twin Otters up there. I have no probs flying twins until my last days flying as I really enjoy them through and through.
I am wondering what the hour requirements are for these companies for the Twotters? Also is it hard to get on with these regional airlines on the Otters?
With Borek I will eventually be exposed to Otters on floats ( Maldives) skiis ( Canada and Antarctica and wheels obviously alot of other places so I would think I would have enough experience in 5 years to not have too difficult of a job to get on with them?
I appreciate any feedback ahead of time.

Take it easy...

Roverlad

for some reason I can\'t seem to add that. it just comes up as stars for each letter I type. weird

Sheep Guts
24th Jun 2004, 12:41
4-5 years is a long time in Aviation my friend. You must be new to this industry:). I would savour your job with Borek and maybe analyse the Oz Job scene a alittle closer than your 4-5 year prediction.
But to keep an interest in Sunstate and the other operator you mentioned there is a Pilot website called Pilotstaffcv.com , Sunstate and other Aussie and New Zealand companies recruit from cvs off this site. It costs money but hey thats the way of world these days.
If I had a crystal ball I wouldnt be in aviation, I would be down the track trying to recover lost avaiation income over the last years.

Sheep

Wizofoz
24th Jun 2004, 13:07
Hi Roverlad,

Good advice from Sheepy, but five years solid turbine would give you a good grounding just about anywhere.

Do you have right of abode in Aus? It can be a hard place to emigrate to.

roverlad
24th Jun 2004, 16:31
I agree that 4-5 years looking ahead is a tad premature,lol. We have looked at how we would rate on the points system for emigrating to either NZ or Oz and we would quite easily qualify to emigrate,esp' if I can still work for Borek for a year after we actually emigrate down there. That way I wouldn't be taking a job away from a "local" as the website says but still pay taxes if I am in the country more than 6 months of the year.
Anyways I appreciate both of your feedback and the website as well, I will keep it for future use.
Is the aviation industry down there starting to take off as well? By next spring there is a real feeling that things will be in a whirlwind of activity,even with Air Canada still in limbo.

Roverlad

Woomera
25th Jun 2004, 00:07
Check your facts roverlad. Sunstate definately don't operate DHC6-300 Twin Otters (Sunnies "smallest" is the DHC8-100/200) and I'm not sure, but I think ****** replaced the Otters with Cessna 208B Caravans, possibly sub contracted from another operator.

The venerable Twin Otter is becoming a dying breed in Australia.

Woomera

roverlad
28th Jun 2004, 01:21
To be honest i only knew of those two oz companies that "used" to fly otters because i was at airliners.net looking at otter operators in oz and pics of planes flown by them came up. I guess this was a while back when they both had a few of them.
I'll have to see who has what when we are closer to emigrating to oz. thanks for the clarification anyways.

roverlad