PDA

View Full Version : wireless prob

Gin Slinger
23rd Jun 2004, 20:12
Hi, I have a work laptop that is able to connect to the internet via a wireless connection. I have an 'unsupported' partition that is available for personal use. Unfortunately the personal side doesn't have the software to use the wireless connection.

The laptop is a Panasonic CF-T2, the wireless LAN is the Intel PRO Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Ad. The machine isn't fitted with a CD drive.

Has anyone got any suggestions on how I can use a wireless connection on my personal partition?

Cheers, GS

FlyUK
23rd Jun 2004, 22:05
Not really sure what you mean by that but if the machine has 2 partitions and two operating systems then you simply need to install the wireless card drivers on both OS's. This will then allow you to use the wireless adapter. Use the current connection to download the drivers from the intel website, then copy accross to the other partition. Does this help at all?

ORAC
24th Jun 2004, 06:12
If your problem is how to load files, buy or borrow a flash memory stick, 128Mb should do. Then go here (http://tcc.toughbook.com/) and download the drivers you need.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jun 2004, 15:27
Gin Slinger,

Which OS do you have on each partition and what file system is on each partition?

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. I am trying to understand why the OS on one partition cannot see the other partition and visa versa.

Gin Slinger
26th Jun 2004, 10:46
OS is Windows 2000 Professional.

I'm in the process of downloading the driver from the site ORAC suggests. Will report back with the results.

Richard, I don't know how the partitioning is done. Basically on the work side virtually every function is restricted to administrator only access, however the personal side is not restricted in any way as far as I can tell - but I'm no expert!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Jun 2004, 14:47
Gin Slinger,

Let us know how it works out.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. Here is a "How To" guide so you can better understand partitioning. :ok:

Step-By-Step: Partition Your Hard Drive (http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,73826,src,ov,00.asp)

Gin Slinger
15th Jul 2004, 13:05
With ORAC's suggestion, I got my wireless working!! The knowledge on this forum is invaluable, and much appreciated.

Richard: I attended your very fine flying school in winter '02 to do my JAR Multi w/Andrew Abt. Now very happy flying B737s around Europe for a living.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
15th Jul 2004, 16:51
Gin Slinger,

That is great news! Glad to hear that you have your wireless working and that from the humble beginnings at the Air Center, you are now flying a Boeing. ;)

Andrew Abt is also doing well flying for the airlines. He still stops by from time to time.

Take Care,

Richard