PDA

View Full Version : The Road To That First Job

mesh
23rd Jun 2004, 08:45
Hi Guys, I have got 4 months to run on an integrated course before I get the little Blue book. Seriously considering Bus Jets and need a little advice. I was lucky enough to start a conversation with a semi retired captain the other week who talked me through the pros and cons and said he thought I would be perfect F/O material due to age, previous career and outlook. He has very kindly given me his number to contact after qualifying. This is obviously a one in a million conversation but I wanted to guage what other guys thought. What is the best way in? Once I have finished the course I was going to try and work for a Bus Jet operator in any 'Pilot' facing capacity, can any of you advise me on how to go about this? Or recommend any other avenues to pursue.

Cheers for any help

Chippie Chappie
23rd Jun 2004, 09:54
Hi Mesh,

Fairly new in the game myself so don't take my word as read.

Life as an Biz Jet F/O is generally great and I would highly recommend it. Would suggest that you don't wait until the end of the course before you start contacting people though. Start doing so now. Most jobs are given to people the company knows so get known. The (polite, friendly, non-pushy, persistant) squeeky wheel get the (good) oil. If you're known for a year before you're qualified, that's one year of developed relationship by the time you're available for work. And if they don't have anything for you, maybe they know someone else who does.

Good luck with the course and good hunting.

Chips

Miles Magister
23rd Jun 2004, 12:48
Mesh,

You mention that you would take 'any pilot facing job'. Be careful how you word any letters or CVs. If you use these words you will appear desparate and not committed. I try and reply to most CVs but ones that mention 'any suitable' position go straight in the bin without a reply, it is one of the filters.

Target your company and research their background. Write letters directly to the addressee and apply for a specific position even if one has not been advertised. ie. "I would like to be considered for a position as a First Officer on your Lear 40 aircraft" etc.

Make sure you know about the company and what they do. Telling them you have an FAA ATPL when they are a JAA operator is pointless, and vice versa.

Do some research, use it wisely and you will stand out from the normal flood of poorly written CVs flying around.

Good luck.
MM

mesh
23rd Jun 2004, 14:22
Cheers for your views guys, it's good to make contact with those in the know. MM, just wondered how you think I should approach this one. Obviously I will do all the groundwork and tailor my CV and covers to specifics but it's a fine line between letting them know that I am prepared to do a none flying job to get my foot in the door and sounding desperate. Truth is I believe I would be an asset to them, have a lot to bring them and would appreciate the time to discuss this further. That said, do you think it more prudent to in the first instance approach them as you say for an F/O job even if there isn't one with a brief explanation of what I could do and then follow it up later on with a maybe there are other opportunities with your company sort of letter. I can see how I could be perceived as desperate but on the other hand surely my determination to get into their company at grass roots level could also be interpreted as dedication. If you have any examples of how people have done it the past they would be gratefuly received. The situation I don't want to find myself in is with a pile of 'sorry we have no F/O positions at present' letters. I need to keep the communications going with these guys...

Cheers

Rob

chips, check your pm\'s

MAX
24th Jun 2004, 14:42
Got my first job on biz jets by starting with a small company in the ops/handling team. Did the flight planning, answered phones, made tea/coffee and hoovered the aircraft. Stuck it out and 6 months later a F/O position came up and I was in!

Also met and chatted to every pilot who flew through the door so it was a great way to get that first step up.

MAX:cool:

Megaton
24th Jun 2004, 14:52
Hi Mesh,

I've been looking at biz jets and have had some fairly decent contacts with different companies. Problem I think you'll find is that some, perhaps all or many, have high hourly requirements for even the RHS due to the insurance company policies. Several that I spoke to were quite disappointed when I revealed I had only 400 hrs of which only 40 were multi-engine. If you're on an integrated course then I assume you'll walk away with 200 odd hrs which, I suspect, may not place you terribly well with some/most/all of these operators.

I don't wish to dampen your enthusiasm and I am certainy not the font of all knowledge on the biz jet scene but certainly my experience would indicate that you may struggle if you are, indeed, low-houred.

Good luck,

HP

PPRuNeUser0215
24th Jun 2004, 17:31
mesh

I would approach the operators as soon as possible (Chippie Chappie's advice), showing yourself as a potential Co Pilot. Then because you are persistant person, you will get to know people in that particular outfit which should allow you in turn, to have less formal chats. At that stage, I am pretty sure this special bond found between keen job seekers (you) and ex keen job seekers (your contact, ie pilot, Chief pilot, Ops etc...) should prevail and allow less formal talks to take place.
No doubt that by then someone would have either suggested you to do what you are thinking of doing or you would have been able to expose your master plan without any awkward feeling.

Good luck, your approach is very sound.

MAX

Shame I have just employed a maid, you sound ideal... Still you can redeem yourself in making me a nice cuppa when I see you next :D :D

mesh
25th Jun 2004, 08:36
No probs Max, I make a good cuppa...

cheers for the advice guys keep it coming..

M

sawotanao
25th Jun 2004, 12:12
Mesh, know of ex JAA intergrated lad, who went to states did FAA conversion and Lear45 type rating.....must of cost him a bomb,especially after JAA course! but did get RHS Lear 45 on the N reg. good luck.:cool:

mesh
25th Jun 2004, 13:35
Pilgrim, check your PM's

Cheers

M