PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas

ROCKSTEADY
23rd Jun 2004, 07:47
Hi guys,

I am an Australian Commercial Pilot Licence holder, and I have a question in which I cant seem to find an answer for, thought maybe somebody here might be able too.

Just curious to know, if I was to be employed in the Bahamas as a pilot, would I have to convert my licence to a Bahamian one, then to a U.S one if I was flying into lets say Florida from the Bahamas? Or could I fly in American airspace without an American pilots licence and just the Bahamian one.

Thanks heaps.:ok:

Captain Stable
23rd Jun 2004, 09:06
If flying a Bahamian registered aircraft, you will need a Bahamian licence, no matter where you are flying it. If flying an US-registered aircraft, you need an FAA licence.

ROCKSTEADY
23rd Jun 2004, 09:45
So if its Bahamian registered, to fly into the U.S. Do I need the U.S CPL, or, is it possible to fly there on the Bahamian one.
:confused:

Panama Jack
23rd Jun 2004, 13:14
A Bahamas licence allows you to fly a Bahamas registered aircraft anywhere in the world.

A US certificate allows you to fly a US registered aircraft anywhere in the world.

An Australian licence allows you to fly an Australian registered aircraft anywhere in the world.

Et Cetera.

This makes sense. Otherwise, a pilot on, say, Qantas might would have to hold a plethora of licences for all the countries that his aircraft overflies and lands in!!! Clearly not a realistic situation for international aviation.

Nevertheless, the onus is on the pilot to be familiar with the differences in regulations between his home country and the regulations or requirements of the countries he will be overflying or flying to.

What you cannot do on a Bahamas registered aircraft is "cabotage" in the United States, that is, pick up passengers or cargo from one point in the US (say Fort Lauderdale) and fly them to another point in the US (say Tampa) for compensation or hire.

If you are simply pleasure flying, or for example conducting corporate operations (the passengers are the owners of the aircraft) you can fly the Bahamas registered aircraft, with your Bahamas licence within the United States for a restricted length of time. Note that you are not "holding out" as the FAA refers to it, or providing a public service.

If this does not answer your question, perhaps you could provide a specific example of your scenario.

ROCKSTEADY
24th Jun 2004, 04:03
Yes I understand what you are saying PJ. Thanks. Do you know what the conversion process is like from foreign to Bohemian! :=

chunkylover53
25th Jun 2004, 06:02
Rocksteady check your PM's.