PDA

View Full Version : PNG questions

k2climber
23rd Jun 2004, 06:14
I've been reading up on PNG and was simply curious about the country and the aviation there. Typically, when is the best season to head out there looking for work? What kind of experience do most of the small operators require? Finally, what's the best local brew?
Thanks for the help.
Cheers

Living End
23rd Jun 2004, 13:10
If your after info on papua, you will probably get more feedback in the ozzy forums.... LE

Scando
23rd Jun 2004, 13:38
Ahh, I was trying Pingonesia, Pingiphines, Pingapore, etc. Papua! Thanks! Now I can sleep well tonight.:ok:

Touch'n'oops
24th Jun 2004, 10:20
Hi

From what I can remember. You have 3 main operators there.

AirNiugini, Airlink and MBA!

I don't know of a season for hiring pilots, but if you do decide to go there. Stay at the Night Owl backpackers and the British guy who runs it knows everyone. It is him that can find you the right people to talk to. To find where the night owl is ask the information place at the airport.

A word of warning. In PNG's cities it is very dangerous at night, don't upset the locals or your embassy will have a tough time recognizing you from the piece.
Having said this. Get away from the cities and you will find a beautiful country to explore. Isolated villagers love a visit from a master-master (whiteman).

Last but not least, South Pacific or better know as SP, is your beer for PNG. Cheap, OK to drink and gives you the most horrendous hang over in the morning!!!:yuk:

Good Luck!:ok:

Random Electron
24th Jun 2004, 21:57
How did you know that k2climber is a white man (or woman) ?

Taildragger
3rd Jul 2004, 17:35
K2 Climber Mate there are only two seasons in PNG ...
Hot and Bloody Hot.! That said a cool SP as has been said is great...hangovers only come from drinking too much of it.
There are several varieties... Ordianire SP Brownie, Long Neck and Ice, and damn good stuff it is too.
The ONLY way to get a job up there is to pack a bag and get up there and get around and see the operators. As has been said, there are only three main operators. The main one from those is PX (Air Niugini) There are a bunch of smaller operators flying Islanders, C206's, 185's and so on. Great experience if your weather decision making is good. A real bummer if it isn't.
The "Rascal" problem is fierce, but you soon become streetwise and avoid putting yourself in bad situations. Port Moresby and Mount Hagen, Goroka are the main trouble spots, but up country in the villages the people are real friendly. Good Luck

k2climber
26th Aug 2004, 05:46
Thanks for the help. I'm ballparking 1000 hrs and I was interested in checking PNG out. I know how it works, having to wait around and talk to the right people.
I'm still looking for more info if anyone has any links.
Cheers