PDA

View Full Version : Order of "Folders" in Outlook

Keygrip
23rd Jun 2004, 01:45
I recently changed from Outlook Express to Outlook.

Biggest bugbear with this is the new layout - not used to it.

Biggest problem with the new layout is that the Folders are all in alphabetical order - which puts the important one (?), INBOX, way down the list.

I've tried numerous ways of repositioning the Folders into the order that I would like them in - can't find the right switch.

Anybody know how to re-order the Folders in Outlook?

(Windows XP Pro)

BLUE SKY THINKER
23rd Jun 2004, 08:19
Keygrip.....

Don't use 'Outlook' personally, but have just typed move folders into 'Outlook Help' and come up with the following, if it's any help..........

"MOVE A FOLDER

In the Folder List, click the folder you want to move.

On the File menu, point to Folder, and then click Move Folder name.

Either click in the list the location where you want to move the folder, or click New to create a folder to move the selected one to".

I think this is what you mean (?).

Keygrip
23rd Jun 2004, 11:33
Good try, thankyou.

The "Move Folder" option was greyed out when I tried the Inbox.......but it did answer my question.

I fumbled around for a while, trying various 'moves' amd then got a text box saying that "Special Folders cannot be moved. These include Inbox, Sent Items, Contacts etc."

So - Microsoft says "No - you cannot".

Thanks for trying Blue Sky.

BLUE SKY THINKER
24th Jun 2004, 08:59
Keygrip.....

How about this as a compromise solution?

Bring up Outlook Folder List.

File > New > Folder > (highlight 'Personal Folders' in "where to place") and Name, e.g., 1nbox - Keygrip. .....Ensure that the letter "I" in the word Inbox is substituted by the number "1". .....It looks the same, but more to the point ensures that Outlook puts it at the top of the list above alphabetical items.

You can write 'Rules' for any folder and according to Outlook 'Help' it should be possible to highlight original Inbox and then Tools > Rules Wizard and write a rule that redirects all mail from this folder to '1nbox - Keygrip'.

I hasten to add that I can't demonstrate this last bit myself, because I am unable to find the Rules Wizard, either because of a problem with my particular program, or the fact that I do not have a mail account set up on it (don't use Outlook personally) .....However there is extensive info. on writing rules in 'Help' and you may well have more luck.

Just a thought.

Keygrip
24th Jun 2004, 09:19
Hmmm - just departing on a two day road trip - will have a play when I get back.

Watch this space.

BLUE SKY THINKER
25th Jun 2004, 12:29
Keygrip.....

ps (when you get back): 'My Outlook' Rules Wizard may have disappeared, but the one at Work is there, so you may be lucky. Here's the relevant bit from the 'Help' section.....

CREATE A RULE

Do one of the following.

Create a rule from a template or from scratch

1. Click Inbox.
2. On the Tools menu, click Rules Wizard.
3. In the Apply changes to this folder list, click the Inbox you want.
4. Click New.
5. Do one of the following:

Use a template with pre-specified actions and conditions

*Click Start creating a rule from a template.

Use your own conditions and actions

*Click Start from a blank rule. .....(Note: This option is not available when you create a rule for a public folder).

6. Click Next.
7. Follow the instructions in the Rules Wizard.

If you want to run a newly created rule on messages already in the Inbox, select Run this rule now on messages already in Inbox check box on the last page of the Rules Wizard.

To have this rule apply to all your accounts and Inboxes, select the Create this rule on all accounts check box on the last page of the Rules Wizard.

Note If you have multiple e-mail accounts, "me" refers to the e-mail address of any of your accounts, not just the account thaty is currently active.