PDA

View Full Version : no keyboard found on boot up?

Sledge
22nd Jun 2004, 22:41
My second PC has develpoed a fault whenever it starts the error message "no keyboard found" appears even though the keyboard is connected.It will not progress beyond this error message to even boot to safe mode.Any suggestions?

E-Liam
22nd Jun 2004, 23:21
Hi Sledge,

First thing we need to know.. is it a PS2, (round DIN plug) or USB keyboard... and what OS.

Cheers

Liam

Sledge
23rd Jun 2004, 07:39
its windows XP and ps2 socket.

E-Liam
23rd Jun 2004, 09:26
Hi Sledge,

Oh well.. plan A's gone.. :)

Have you tried another keyboard? Also, do you get any lights come up on the keyboard, before it stops? Check the pins on the socket. If you have a boot disk, can get you get to a command prompt with it? A keyboard doesn't need an OS running to use, so see if a boot disk works. If so, then we can copy over the drivers from that.

A few to answer.. :)

Cheers

Liam

Lost_luggage34
23rd Jun 2004, 10:26
E-Liam has it spot on -

Look for the hardware checks during boot up

I.e. the 3 lights - Caps Lock, Num Lock and Scroll lock coming on early in the boot sequence.

Take it from there.

Avtrician
23rd Jun 2004, 11:21
Have you/anyone moved any connections on the computer. The keyboard and mouse may be swapped

Sledge
23rd Jun 2004, 11:21
the key board works fine with my other pc.when i plug it into the defective machine there are no lights on the keyboard on boot up.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jun 2004, 13:28
Sledge,

Also try the keyboard from the other machine in the one you suspect is bad.

If that does not work, you have two options:

[list=1]
If the Mobo is under warranty, send it back.
If it is out of warranty, then try using a USB Keyboard as a walk around.
[/list=1]

Take Care,

Richard

amanoffewwords
23rd Jun 2004, 13:51
...or use a PS2 to USB converter...and forget about the ps2 socket

Sledge
23rd Jun 2004, 15:31
Thanks for your suggestions so far.I tried the keyboard via a ps2 to usb adapter and still nothing.I suppose the motherboard has gone faulty then.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jun 2004, 18:20
Sledge,

If the USB Keyboard does not work, then you have another problem. It might be software related.

I would try either a repair of your OS or a fresh install.

Take Care,

Richard

Sledge
23rd Jun 2004, 21:49
Richard,
I cant even get the machine to boot far enough to try to install a fresh copy of my OS.
I think the time is approaching to find a big hammer and persuade the machine that the keyboard is in fact well and truely attached.

Memetic
23rd Jun 2004, 23:26
Can you get into the Bios?

If you can and have the option to make the machine boot and ignore keyboard errors then that might open up a few more tinkering options.

Memetic.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
24th Jun 2004, 15:15
Sledge,

Ok I see what is happening now. You are getting to the spot on the Boot where the BIOS says you do not have a Keyboard and it stops there.

I would first reset the CMOS. Remove the Power Cord from the Power Supply, then remove the Battery from the Motherboard. Leave both of them out for a good 15 to 20 minutes before putting them back in.

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. If you want to have access to the BIOS with a USB Keyboard, you need to set the Primary Display in the BIOS to PCI, that way the PCI Bus is energized before the BIOS starts booting.