PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen Generators

Balloothebear
22nd Jun 2004, 15:01
Afternoon All
Any advice out there on the storage and disposal of oxygen generators?
Please advise.

Kaddyuk
22nd Jun 2004, 15:31
This could be wrong, but from the top of my head. The oxygen generators from the MD80, are lifed items and are removed at the end. They are not return to service items and are completly replaced at the end of their life. They have inop tags tags attached and caps are attached to stop the tags being pulled. They must be stored in the HazMat (Hazardous Materials) before they are destroyed.

Thats from memory from a Video we watched about Valujet and their poor maintainace which left a jet crashing into the swamps in Florida....

ukeng
22nd Jun 2004, 18:11
Best thing to do is find a nice bit of tarmac outside and pull the pin out. Leave it for an hour or so to cool down.
Removes the risk of a still active generator going off in transit, especially if you don't have the correct containers.
This of course is only for generators that are time ex. All the new ones i've ordered have come in metal cannisters filled with fire retardant kitty litter material.
There's normally storage instructions on the sticker on the canister.

Kaddyuk
22nd Jun 2004, 20:12
Using them... that makes sense :) I wasnt sure what they did once they were in Hazmat... Thats what caused the crash, they were carried in the forward hold (illegally). One was activated and started a fire setting the others off...

avoman
27th Jun 2004, 08:56
Ditto for time expired fire bottle squibs. They make a pleasing bang when detonated before safe disposal. Especially indoors. (Whoops!)

GotTheTshirt
29th Jun 2004, 21:09
Oxygen generators have 2 different types of activation.
Douglas ones have as mentioned above a striker pin.
Lockheed ones have no pin and are activated by electrical current.
The MD are safetied by a clip that blocks the striker the Lockheed ones just has a piece of wire acroos the terminals.
:D