PDA

View Full Version : Oxford Interviews

DVR6K
22nd Jun 2004, 13:00
Hi all,

I have an interview for the Oxford APP coming up shortly and would appreciate any tips on how to improve my chances of making it onto the course. I do have a sound knowledge of commercial aviation and operations etc and certainly don't lack the enthusiasm but was wondering what sort of things I would be asked so I can prepare properly.

Understand that there is also a teamwork excersise and a simulator session which I would say are a bit clearer but it's just the interview, and more to the point, my allergy to interviews, that is causing the sweaty palms at the moment!

That and the air conditioning at work has broken down...

Thanks in advance!

Fred4000
22nd Jun 2004, 16:02
Just make sure you let them know you can get your hands on £61000. They will let you in. Don't worry, it ain't a tough selection to get through as long as you have the money.

CB1
22nd Jun 2004, 16:12
Not sure i'd go as far as the person above...

I went through selection a couple of months ago and got through at the first attempt, but, 2 out of the 5 of us there were on their second attempt and at £164 a pop its not something you can go into with a bad attitude. OK so its not going to be anything as intensive as an airline interview, after all their selling you a product but they have nothing to gain from letting in 'bad' students.

The interview is basically a way of looking for your motivation and getting a clearer idea of if your suitable. My advice has always been to be myself. I dont see the point in trying to con someone into thinking i'm someone i'm not because its impossible to keep that up through an intensive training course.

At the end of the day if the sum of £61000 plus £7000 living costs is within your reach and your sure its for you then Oxford seems like the place to go!!

Apologies for the appalling grammar above, in a rush!!!

mesh
22nd Jun 2004, 17:41
If they know you have the cash and fail the first time then I suggest finding another job.

Fred4000
22nd Jun 2004, 18:25
I agree with mesh. The majority do pass the oat selection. You'll get in more than likely.

Why not try for CTCMcAlpine sponsorship. However the selection process would be harder and the chances of getting in a lot slimmer (1 in 50) approx. If your under 25 give it a go.

PPRuNe Towers
23rd Jun 2004, 12:51
For a moment I could have sworn you wrote Oxford were interviewing you rather than the other way around.

I really must go for a lie down. I'll come back later so you can have a look at a few of the agency web sites to see the real world instead of the marketing departments view of it.

Nigh night

Rob

ka_pai
23rd Jun 2004, 13:46
ctc-mcalpine take you up to and including 27. excludes ezy but not thomas cook.

:O

GJB
24th Jun 2004, 11:25
have been to a few other schools wher they will give you a tour, have a chat, discuss your suitability ALL FOR FREE!!!!

In fact, they might even try and entice you with biscuits, tea, coffee or a few pints down the local.

I can't believe your paying to be interviewed, as to your suitability to becoming one of their customers. Come on guys, take off the rose tints and get a grasp on the real world.

HENRI
26th Jun 2004, 16:12
is it possible to fail this interview ? does anyone know of anyone that has? What is it you get for the extra money? A job? if so with whom?

You must be mad to put money that large up front.. have you asked if it is put into a secure trust fund ?.
Airlines may look at you and say you fit into the dumb and dumber catergory for not being able to manage your finances a bit better.
I hear a lot of the staff there at the moment are moving on or trying to. Do you know why? suggest you find out.

DVR6K
28th Jun 2004, 16:00
I have paid £160 odd quid up front, it's hardly breaking the bank. You pay for the course in installments and cannot see any reason why my money is in danger at Oxford, they are not in any trouble at all.

I know my chances of getting a job are not necessarily increased by going for the APP as at the end of the day airlines are after good pilots no matter where they studied, but I do want to benefit from the excellent facilities and tuition that Oxford can offer. It's all about maxmising your chances and if it's costs me 70 grand then I might as well.

Peace.

scroggs
28th Jun 2004, 16:26
DVR6K the reason for people's incredulity is that there are no other situations imaginable in the world of commerce where you would be asked to pay for an interview to establish whether you are fit to pay them to train you! Even the sharks at Ryanair hold out more than just the hope of a job at the end of the process!

You are the customer, not Oxford. Remember that. They are not doing you a favour, they are providing you with a service. Make sure you make that clear.

Scroggs

houston
13th Aug 2004, 17:04
The £250 cost for the selection process is refunded on acceptance to the APP course. It is a method of showing commitment to becoming an airline pilot instead of using it to see if it is the right career for you, this should be done at the seminars.

concorde cadet
14th Aug 2004, 10:16
I found the instruction at oxford very good - but remember - you are paying them a lot more money than you would have elsewhere - so if they try to take you for a ride - make sure you remind them! never let them forget that you are the customer!

Wee Weasley Welshman
14th Aug 2004, 13:31
Whilst you are writing the cheque I suggest you ask a few probing questions about aircraft to student ratios, minimum experience levels of new instructors and aircraft servicibility.

Good instruction can be found in many schools at many different prices. But if the aircraft slot is gone or its tech then you're back to digs whistling a tune.

Personally I'd go modular, go to a smaller FTO where my money was a big deal to them and where I could at any time walk away to the school across the road. Signing up to a sausage factory 'programme' which you have to 'complete' doesn't make much sense to me.

Trust me, I've seen and taught in a few flying schools in my time.

Cheers

mad_jock
15th Aug 2004, 01:34
Is this taking the ****?

You mean there is a company out there that charges you to sit a ***** test that proves nothing and its for you PAYING them heaps of dosh for them to provide you with a service?

And DVR6K don't make that assumption with any FTO dosn't matter how big or how small its always a possibility. DON't pay anyone anything up front.

The whole ******* of you paying 30 thousand pounds over the odds. YES thats 30 THOUSAND pounds. You already have another thread running just now from one of the APP boys who dosn't have a job. 11 years until he has payed it off.

You can believe all the crap out there saying the only way you will get a job is with an intergrated and type rating. Its not true. There are heaps of us who have qualified since Sept 11th who have jobs as FO's. To be honest i know personally at least 35 FI's who are now RHS and none of them payed for there type.

ITS ALL MARKETING *******

MJ, I understand that you obviously feel quite strongly about this, but do you really think your argument is enhanced by your profligate use of vulgarities?!

Pprune actually doesn't proscribe mildish swearing, but this post got a couple of complaints, and I really don't think we need to sound like we're in the pub. I've highlighted MJ's expletives purely as an exercise in showing how the meaning of the post isn't diminished without them - I'm not going to repeat the exercise each time someone swears! More likely I'll delete the post in future....

Pprune sets high standards; please try to live up to them.

Scroggs

Desk-pilot
15th Aug 2004, 03:46
Just to point out in fairness to Oxford the purpose of their screening for the APP course is to establish whether a candidate has the aptitude and personality to meet airline selection standards. They genuinely do want to avoid the no hopers spending £60 000 on a course which is never going to lead to achieving an airline job.

Incidentally I don't work for OATS, I am a student there and so far have been happy with their training in most respects. They're expensive but then they are generally regarded as one of the best training establishments in the marketplace which enables them to command a premium. They do give you more classroom time, more twin time and more MCC time than other courses.

Hope this is helpful,

Desk pilot

TRon
15th Aug 2004, 10:08
Twin time, get real, it's 40 hours on the FNPT II King Air's...pugh/cough sorry I mean Seneca II's

OfficeCloset
15th Aug 2004, 12:40
oxford are no better or worse than other fto - their reputation means almost nothing these days. If you talk to people in the know then you will discover that its is no longer the place it used to be.

Go elsewhere, get the same education and save some money. Its a small industry and most people know one another, so your chances are just the same.

I beleive scroggs put it across quite well. Oxford have a bare faced cheek, but then it is purely interested in profit not pilots.

Rich Tea
15th Aug 2004, 15:51
Desk-Pilot.................

In Fairness to Oxford.....

Whilst the purported purpose of the screening process for the APP course is to establish whether a candidate has the aptitude and personality to meet airline selection standards.....this leads to the question, why introduce the so-called LPP course which does not require any selection testing?

The other way of looking at is - in all fairness it is to genuinely give the "no-hopers" a chance to spend £60 000 on a course which is never going to lead to achieving an airline job!!!! :O

If anyone were to compare closely, the old integrated course and the new LPP, the old one was much better value. Had much more twin time, almost double (real handling - helpful when you are a relatively inexperienced hand), more ground school time, and some single engine instrument flying based in the UK. And for what? A very similar price to the new LPP course which doesn't include the CAA test fees/FWB accommodation/licence issue fee. True that the LPP gives you more sim time.....but in a different aircraft to one that is being examined on....plus it handles differently. Noteably, other FTO's have cut their syllabus down for example Cabair (correct me if I am wrong) give less actual flight time than they use to.

Before anyone asks....I certainly don't work for them - think this is obvious! As a former student, I enjoyed most of my time there. I picked what I perceived to be the most comprehensive syllabus going at that particular time despite the cost. I wasn't impressed by other places I visited. I was never under any illusion of job assistance, didn't need them for that thankfully. And nor did many of my coursemates. To a large extent, it's what you make of it. Some really good ground instructors and flight instructors.

Horses for courses and all that eh! Eyes in the Air, Ears to the Ground...............

Rich Tea

License to Fly
22nd Aug 2004, 20:40
I agree that Oxford offers probably some of the best standards of Groundschool, the flying instructors are good and you will come out of the school a good pilot.

However, I know a number of people who have graduated from Integrated and Modular courses and all have had very little help in finding careers - surely the whole point of training there as there is a massive price premium.

However much you spend with them, unless you generally pass EVERYTHING (flying and groundschool) first time, they are probably not going to be much help ... and if you do that well done!

I would recommend Oxford, but would only recommend Modular unless you have just won the Lottery! Use the difference to build up more hours - that will really stand you out from the competition when job hunting.

LTF