PDA

View Full Version : Air shows

Muppet Leader
22nd Jun 2004, 12:10
It is that time of year again for all the air shows, and with the threads knocking about at the moment with regard to the Red Arrows, Thunderbirds and so on.

I remember my first air show, was at Woodford, late 60s’. Well before real health and safety and political correctness.
The main aircraft that I can remember was the Lightning – supersonic over the crowd!
I remember it quite vividly, as the sonic boom knocked me off the roof of the car.

:ouch:

I know I am biased towards things with big spinney round bits to make them go. I have performed the EROs’ at several seasons’ air shows and have also been on tour with the Arrows.

I mean no disrespect to the FJ fraternity, but from a spectator’s point of view, why are fast jets favourites with the crowds?

I would have thought that an Albert on a TAC Demo is so much more impressive to watch than any number of jets whizzing past.

What is it that makes a good display?

:E

pr00ne
22nd Jun 2004, 12:14
Muppet L,

Memlory fade I think ML, in the late 60's a supersonic pass over the crowd would have resulted in a Court martial on at least two counts...................................

Muppet Leader
22nd Jun 2004, 12:36
Pr00ne.

Call it what you will.

I was 7 or 8 years old.
One minute I’m standing on the roof of my Fathers car.
Lightning passing at 90 degrees.
Kaboom
Next I’m being picked up off the grass.

Now, back to topic

treadigraph
22nd Jun 2004, 12:58
I can remember a Lightning almost beating its noise at Biggin in the 70s! And there was a Swiss AF Mirage I heard about that "accidently" went supersonic during a low pass at Sion or somewhere a decade or two back, which must have given the post-prandial somnabulists a bit of a shock I should imagine! :ok:

I'm always interested in something a bit different or unusual, be it an aircraft type or perhaps the way an aircraft is flown. But not near the edge please; such things make me very uncomfortable now, particularly having seen three hit the ground in recent years.

For sheer perfection, you can't beat a well flown Spitfire of any mark in my opinion - hats off to Andy Sephton whose lyrical display at Shuttleworth a couple of weekends ago kept me rivetted!

I've lost interest in big airshows with wall to wall fighters, helicopters and display teams - something more parochial carefully programmed to aid the digestion between lunch and tea time gets my vote - and with a good bar of course!

johnfairr
22nd Jun 2004, 14:06
I was at Biggin Hill on the 1975 airshow (i/c of the ballonn-drag...!) and after all the public had left, we went out for a few beers with the display pilots, Rad Arrows, French guys, a couple of German AF blokes and two Dutch 104 drivers. The Cloggies mentioned something about a "real departure" on the Monday morning.

Bright and early, well, 11:30ish, I recall, assembled blokes on the tarmac to wave goodbye to the guests. Lots of noise and formation take-offs (tricky at Biggin!) and off went the 104s. Nothing particularly untoward until they just hit the u/c up button whilst leaving the stick where it was. Then the No 2 rolled up and over No 1 and disappeared into the dip at the end of the runway!! No 1 carries on as if nothing has happened and lo and behold No 2 joins up from underneath at not more than 50' agl.

Absolutely stunning!!!

:ok:

Gainesy
22nd Jun 2004, 16:10
Last time I was at Biggin, the Cloggy mates couldn't find it. Wired Kenley a treat though.:)

soddim
22nd Jun 2004, 16:25
In the late 60s a Lightning went supersonic at an airshow in UK - it was flown by one of the Air Marshals who is accused of being the villain of the Chinook inquiry. He certainly did not get court martialled and I can't remember anybody else who did from that era either. Supersonic flight was allowed anywhere over Germany in that period provided one tried to avoid the Ruhr and it was not unusual for a boom to be dropped in UK although it was not permitted.

OFBSLF
22nd Jun 2004, 16:26
Best airshow display I ever saw was Bob Hoover at Ames Naval Air Station around 1990 or so.

treadigraph
22nd Jun 2004, 16:40
JohnFairr, wish I'd seen that!

I believe the PdF singletons were fired from the team around then for exiting the valley towards the ruinway inverted and excitingly close together in line astern!

Gainsey:

Remember the Kenley incident well, we were waving at them as they passed by to the west about a mile away and shouting "over here"...

Bob Hoover: :ok:

BEagle
22nd Jun 2004, 16:59
soddim - such grossly negligent behaviour from such a nice chap? Shurely shome mishtake?

A little bird once told me that said Knight of the Realm's alleged penchant for exceeding the Lightning release to service (e.g. reheat-rote take-offs) was hinted at in a fairly loud stage whisper when he was sharpening his knives over some F3 mate who allegedly exceeded the Tornado r-to-s and was staring the possibility of a CM between the eyes. But all of a sudden, no further action was taken...... All hearsay, of course!

Fg Off Max Stout
22nd Jun 2004, 19:11
FJs are popular because of their raw power, speed, noise, carrots, aeros etc. However, despite being a bit of a closet airshow fanatic myself, I find displays such as RIAT a little bit wearing. Having watched FJs do aeros for about 8 hrs, seeing yet another FJ from some random country do another aeros sequence and having my ears blasted for another 10 minutes just loses its edge.

The things that I think stand out, and certainly get me interested are:

An old big piston prop, Harvard, Spitfire etc, doing a nice display, with blade tips going supersonic making that great noise without rupturing your eardrums.

A Hunter running in fast at low level with its Blue Note ringing out, then pulling some G and putting a bit of condensation over the upper surface.

Concorde standing on the brakes in full reheat making your fillings fall out. Alas, never to be seen or heard again.

Large Russian transport aircraft of various types having minor emergencies.

BUT, the one that beats them all has to be the mighty Wokka. Have you seen this year's Chinny display - it kicks ass!

My humble opinion, of course.

soddim
22nd Jun 2004, 19:48
Since we're telling stories out of school, Beags, let me tell you about same Sir's Hunter T7A sortie out across the sea to Deutchland one weekend. Boring transit so he passed the time fiddling with the safety catch and bomb button which he duly pressed - the aircraft gave a little lurch. "I say", he exclaimed to his fellow pilot, "When I pressed my bomb button, it affected the trim - try yours". His FP did but no effect. Had they been carrying 4 tanks it would have done but by the second press the only pair had departed into the North sea.

Got an interview with the C in C for that if I remember correctly - probably how he got his name known! However, to be fair (more commonly known as justice which has no expiry date), the pilots notes did say that all armament circuits had been made safe in the T7A.

BEagle
22nd Jun 2004, 20:08
Sounds like Gross Negligence again......

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jun 2004, 20:31
John Fairr,
Cottesmore 1967, Beligique pilot I believe did twinkle rolls at 20 feet but more sedate rolling rollers at 50 feet tops.

OC Ops went spare. Probably a good job the QRA aircraft were at the take-off end.

WorkingHard
23rd Jun 2004, 17:42
Has anyone a copy of that stunning routine of Hoover's (no power on)?

Magic Mushroom
23rd Jun 2004, 21:04
Aside from classic warbirds such as the Spit, Lanc, P-38, P-47 and P-51, the most impressive airshow performer ever has to be a well flown Vulcan. Incomparable!!!!!
Regards,
M2

AdLib
23rd Jun 2004, 22:07
Bratislava Airshow - 1999. Two Slovak Mig 29's get airborne at the start of the show and proceed to commit Harry Doggers ... NB 50 feet AGL. Complete with funky forward firing FSU type flares and quick 'Cobra' in the middle to swap places. The rest of the show was just a little pedestrian in comparison. Bloody brilliant.

Unfortunately paled into insignificance after Mr Wardell got his barrel roll very wrong ... RIP.

OFBSLF
24th Jun 2004, 15:52
Has anyone a copy of that stunning routine of Hoover's (no power on)?Let me know if you find one. It is indeed stunning.