PDA

View Full Version : Job Advice please

AirSDF
21st Jun 2004, 22:20
I am flying in Africa, a long time ago I am thinking of flying in Central America or even more in the south!

2050h total time
850 h on turbine: Caravan 700 h, Be1900 70h, King100 50h
3 years experience in the bush in Africa (only ****y countries)

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

I heard about a company in Costa Rica operating C208 Caravan!!!!

By the way I don't speak Spanish but I am learning very quickly;)

Muchas gracias!:bored:

Panama Jack
22nd Jun 2004, 05:59
There are Caravans operated throughout the region in all Central American coutries, with the exception of El Salvador (to my knowledge). The problem for you is that most Central American countries are pretty restrictive to get into for foreign pilots and that low wages would make it uninteresting for most (Caravan FO's in Nicaragua at La Costeņa earn about $250 USD per month).

The country which would be of interest to you, and in which there may be movement in the near future is Belize. They do hire foreigners from time to time when there are no local pilots available, and from my understanding this happens frequently enough. There are a few small airlines there-- two of them operate Caravans (Tropic Air and Maya Island Air).

Here are the links:

Tropic Air (http://www.tropicair.com)

Maya Island Air (http://www.mayaislandair.com)

McGyver
23rd Jun 2004, 07:10
Hi there,

I have also done a lot of contract work in Africa...West Africa to be more precise. And what they say is true..its pretty much the arm-pit of the world.

So here I am, wishing I was somewhere else and dreaming of a Tropical Island which actually has beaches. The only image I have of such a place is in the Caribbean....Girls, beaches and lots of cocktails! OK, so even if its not all that good over there...what is it like? Anybody around here fly there and actually live in that dreamworld I just described?

The real question I want to ask is this: What is the chance of a South African Boertjie ever getting a flying job in a place like that. Should I keep on dreaming, or can it be done.

In the meantime I'll work on my tan..
Cheers,
Mac. ;)

chrislikesblue
23rd Jun 2004, 15:48
From the amount of replies it seems like there is not many ppruners in S.America or possibly not many jobs.
McGuyver since i am dreaming of the south american girls like u but it looks like its so difficult to get a job there, could you help me by giving me some information about west africa?which countries do u think there is more opportunities for foreign pilots?
where exactly in west africa are you?

AirSDF
23rd Jun 2004, 21:12
Thanks a lot Panama for the contacts, I will try to do something with it, I hope they don't hate foreign pilots!!.

Hey guys I would be interested in flying in West Africa me too!
Do you have any ideas.

I am really fed up with the Central Africa!!!

Dreaming of good way of life in Carribean!:p :cool:

Thanks again!

chrislikesblue
24th Jun 2004, 14:08
AirSDF where in central Africa are you?Any opportunities there?

McGyver
25th Jun 2004, 14:13
To be honest, I dont know why anybody really wants to go to West Africa. Guess nowadays one should take what you get hey..
I really dont have much advise on jobs in that area..unless its contract Ops..and you dont wanna open that can of worms..believe me.
Keep on trying South America..I'm not gonna give up on my dream!