PDA

View Full Version : Leeds Uni & RAF Opportunities?

S0NNY
21st Jun 2004, 22:48
Evening all, first time over in here. Im currently studying in Leeds on an Aviation course (Aviation Tech. with Pilots Studies) and was generally wondering what the likelihood is of progressing through into the RAF upon graduation into a FJ role?

Everytime i go down to the local AFCO theres nobody there to help :(

Any comments would be appreciated, cheers all. Rob

theundisputedtopgun
22nd Jun 2004, 10:40
There is a UAS that incorporates Leeds uni i think.

SirToppamHat
22nd Jun 2004, 12:05
Everytime i go down to the local AFCO theres nobody there to help

Eh? Explain please.

EESDL
23rd Jun 2004, 13:04
[email protected]

S0NNY
23rd Jun 2004, 20:52
Hi, sorry it's taken a while to get back to you guys, ive been away for a bit. Last time I was at the AFCO in B'Ham the chap there really wasn't much use, perhaps because it was a while ago and I needed to see just how well Uni would turn out, i'm not too sure. I'll be visiting the one down a bit closer to home to see what they have to advise.

Also, the email address, what's that for? I'm guessing its the Yorkshire area UAS?

theundisputedtopgun
23rd Jun 2004, 21:47
No need to guess. It is Yorkshire University Air Squadron

6foottanker
23rd Jun 2004, 23:57
Don't mean to be rude, but for someone claiming to be studying aviation, and to be interested in going fj, there's a whole lot of ??? going on!
Basically, as a uni stude without previous sponsorship, the best route into the RAF is through a University Air Sqn. They recruit normally during freshers week, and will take people on based on exactly the same criteria as the RAF do. You are still required to do a full medical, an interview and an aptitude test. They provide flying training (for free) for studes (believe me, the uni lasses love that part!), and only require that you show an interest in applying to join the RAF during your tenure there. They do, however, form the Elementary phase of RAF pilot training, so gone are the (good old) days of drinking on the weather etc etc, and the squadrons tend to weed out those not so inclined towards joining, cos its 'kin expensive (cheers T.Blair). The staff there, however, will give you excellent advice on passing the Officer and Aircrew Selection (OASC) process, so even if you are not a member, give them a ring, no's from careers office.

Failing this, the RAF do give credit to those with degrees, wanting to join. Do beware of the max age for pilots, though. this may be a snag if you do a 4 year degree. The prob at the mo is that the RAF are not taking very many aircrew (seriously, we're talking less than 20 pilots needed this year, compared to the usual 200).

My best advice is try for the uas membership in the next freshers week, but before you do, go to the careers office and get all the information and documentation you can on becoming a pilot. Learn all the names of the aircraft we fly, get familiar with current affairs, and for god sake, know how old you are in years and months before you go into the interview! (Readers will know!) Oh, and lay off the drugs, don't have asthma, or be colour blind, and practice speed= distance/time problems (also avail from careers office guys.)

Don't be put off by the careers office. they told me to p**s off at first, but i'm now a very content RAF pilot, thanx to the UAS system! Good Luck :ok: