PDA

View Full Version : North Sea employment situation

Bladestrike
17th Feb 2004, 19:11
Depending on who I'm talking to, either there's a high percentage of Captains nearing retirement and serious driver shortages are looming just over the horizon, or work has slowed down so much that layoffs are just around the corner.

Whats the skinny...preferrably from someone not overly pessimistic or optimistic??? :)

More specifically, I'm wondering about future Captain requirements for CHC Scotia and Helikopter Services.

Thanks

madman1145
18th Feb 2004, 01:38
Think it depends what countrymen, that operates on the North Sea, you are talking to ..
On one side of the sea, I hear very nice stories. On the other side I hear sad stories, something about national labourrules of that country ..

As I say, I hear :rolleyes: ..

Maybe a check-up on people among that big Canadian Helicopter Company - heard about it ?? :ok:

332mistress
18th Feb 2004, 15:16
On the West side of the N Sea things are in a state of a flux. Another operator (Bond) is rejoining the N Sea in August and until the dust settles from that there is no recruiting going on. CHC Scotia was threatening redundancies as Bond took over the bp contract, but it has won several ex bp contracts back:- 40s, Montrose and Arbroath along with a contract off Bristow :- Judy. Redundancies are not talked about as much now as Scotia expects to lose several pilots to Bond. Scotia is employing several contractors who will go before any salaried staff are made redundant. Bristow seems to be in the doldrums and is under pressure from an aggressive CHC.

My view on where we will be after Bond's entrance is that Scotia will remain the dominant force and continue winning contracts at the expense of Bristows. Bond will try to win other contracts but may suffer from the financial muscle that CHC can muster and lose out in a bidding war. Bristows will shrink and may end up being swallowed up by Bond or Scotia returning the N Sea to 2 operators which would be ironic considering bp's efforts to introduce a 3rd operator!!

As far as future recruitment goes there is very little chance of direct entry captain as most companies now have a seniority based promotion system in place and even experienced pilots have to enter at the bottom. Scotia has a policy of employing contractors to take up any slack in the system so they are not recruiting salaried staff at present. The Retirement bulge doesn't exist now. Scotia has about 5 people/yr reaching 55/58 for the next few yrs.

All these views can change at a moments notice as the N Sea is like that at the moment. A change in Government policy could encourage drilling which would require more flights and crews or fiscal measures could encourage the oil companies to go for minimum manning on the rigs with a reduction in flights and crews.

Who knows
:confused:

332M

Red Kaye
22nd Jun 2004, 07:59
Hi Calli

There is not a lot North Sea Rig work about at the moment and I don't believe any of the three companies are taking on any pilots this year for that. Bond have got what they need for their new operation, CHC-Scotia are losing BP work to Bond soon and am not sure what Bristow are up to, but I do not believe they are employing at the moment.

If you want civil SAR then you have the choice of Bond, who have just won the BP Jigsaw project and are going to be advertising soon for SAR crews, and Bristow who have the Coastguard contract. Bristow also have a SAR operation in Holland using the Jigsaw Trial aircraft.

Not sure if Bristow are looking for SAR qualified pilots for their operations. Best to contact the respective companies direct to see what they have to offer, plus they will give you the pay scales.

One thing to note is that if you do come in to the civil world, you will need an IR and you will probably be bonded for a number of years for Type and Instument Ratings. Also, certainly for line work, ex-military pilots have come in as co-pilots and can sit around as such for a number of years before getting commands as you just join the "dead man's shoes" list.

With your SAR background, you would be better off trying to see if there is a position for you in Bond or Bristow where you might get direct-entry command.

Red K

Bravo 99 (AJB)
22nd Jun 2004, 15:57
CHC operate the SAR in Ireland
may be worth a call.

Sincerly
Bravo 99 AJB)

OLRA
16th Oct 2004, 13:58
Can it be confirmed or denied that there is a shortage of pilots in the North Sea.

A Scotia pilot mentioned that they were having difficulty in filling some recent positions. Even suggeted that Helikoper Service was looking to fill touring positions to Bergen and similar.

So, what is the score here lads,

OLRA