PDA

View Full Version : Best heli for aerial film work?

mickjoebill
21st Jun 2004, 15:28
This is a question for experienced "filming pilots", what would be the difference between a AS350/jet ranger and R44 for aerial filming work. Say a commercial car shoot for example.

Is there actually less power available to the rotors? What effect does this actually have on low level work?

Bear in mind the excellent gyro camera fitted takes care of most of the wobble (from any aircraft)
The next weak link that the director is concerned with is the pilots skill in being able to "fly the shot"

So the question is "flying the shot" more difficult on a R44 vs AS350? Some shots on R44 impossible?

The R44 eng ship looks attractive on price and has no problem at 1000 feet at 70 knots as far as I can tell:)

Details of specific profiles/situations where there is a difference would be instructive.

Also, since R44 is relativly new to the filming world, your comments on experienced filming pilots getting time on a R44?

At the end of the day the experience and understanding of the pilot is the key factor.
Can these skills be successfully taken from AS350 to R44?

Mickjoebill

Opps forgot to mention, if its not obvious :) I\'m a video gunner.

Mickjoebill

imabell
21st Jun 2004, 23:22
it doesn't matter what machine you use as long as the track and balance is right and the pilot has the cameramans point of view in mind if it's hand held.

if it's on a mount it's easy as.:ok:

John Eacott
22nd Jun 2004, 02:36
MJB,

We operate an R44 Newscopter, and the images are stunning. The R44, however, is not as powerful/manouevreable as the 206, which in turn is not as powerful as the AS350, and so on ad infinitum. You should match the machine to the job.

For a car shoot, it would depend on the story board, and the flying involved, and the camera/media required. A "simple" low level tracking shot, with tape, maybe a middle mount, then 206 or 350. Mount doesn't fit the R44, but the Newscopter ball would run rings around a mount camera, even with gyros.

Start putting in tricky shots, tracking from the right, shooting left, then you should assess and decide which machine has the power and ability to perform safely. If the option has the ball on the 206 or 350, they'd be far better than the R44, but if it's a choice between the R44 with a ball vs the 206 without, it may often come down to the R44. Downside of the Newscopter, you can't fit or use film camera: ENG tape only.

EC120 is starting to ease into the equation, but the low inertia rotor system would make me very cautious if flying low level filming.

Spunk
22nd Jun 2004, 07:39
I agree with what John said, it all depends on what you want to do. If it's just low budget productions like smaller industrial commercials for local tv stations or ENG the R44 will do. I have to admit that I'm not too familiar with the ENG ship but from what I've heart they are using a 3 chip ccd camera on that one by now which is more than sufficiant to do the job. But than again that's almost it. The only other choice you have when using a R44 is to get a cameraman with a handheld (e.g. Beta-Cam). You won't be able to fit any other camera mount to the R44.
If it comes to high budget productions you will definitely end up with an AS350 or a 206. You can add all kind of "ball systems" to them:
Gyron (http://www.gyron.com)
Wescam (http://www.wescam.com)
Spacecam (http://www.spacecam.com)
Flir (http://www.flir.com)
or simply take the old but prooven
Tyler Middle Mount (http://www.tylermount.com/equipment_frameshome.html)
The advantage of the Tylermount is that you can basicly use it for any kind of camera (Betacam or 16/35mm) and that the camera man will bring his own camera :D
As far as the aircraft is considered you might want to take into consideration that most of the aerial filming is done at low level. Those cameramen just hate to be flying in the stratosphere, and their stratosphere starts at 500 ft :}
So you are definitely better of with a high inertia rotor system...
Since most of the cameramounts will only fit to the AS350 or the 206 it has to be either one. My personal choice is the 206 LongRanger (Pilot + producer/director with monitor up in front, cameraman + mount + assistant in the back (works for the tylermount)). For the 206 B the assistant has to stay home...
But I've also heart of cameramen who insisted on an AS350.
Some aviation authorities start insisting on twins now which basicly brings it down to the AS355. Most of the camera mounts are approved for that helicopter (same as As350). But then again the tyler middle mount will also fit into a BO105 (but not approved).
By the way. Is there any approved mount for the wescam system to be put on a BO 105 yet???
Ohhh, and before I forget to mention. To me it seems that most of the camerasystems are no longer for sale but only for rent by the local dealers and in most cases this will include renting their aircraft. So, lucky those of us who possess their own camera mounts.;)