PDA

View Full Version : Radio Telephone Assistance

motoflyer
21st Jun 2004, 14:22
I am a student pilot who would like help likely from a retired air traffic controller living in the Canterbury Kent UK area.

I need practice and have found help difficult to obtain. The help I have had has been expensive and there is clearly a great deal of difference between being proficient at RT and teaching it.

I have the CAP 413 but need the interaction of real people !

I hope that there is someone out there with some time and a good heart wiling to assist me. The thing that I have noticed with learning to fly is that there is a culture of 'I had to learn the hard and expensive way why should you have it easy and at little cost'

Do members of Pprune think this is the correct way forward in the 21st century?

eyuppp
22nd Jun 2004, 08:05
There is a piece of software called 'Roger Wilco' that allows streaming audio between users, i.e. they can talk to each other in real time. In know online gamers use it, as do the world of virtual airlines.

Maybe there is a website geared up for RT practice between pilots/ATCO's/anyone else who wants to practice. If not, could be good opp to start one...

Anyway, I think its a free download and there are also forums where people can talk to each other instead of using electronic posts. I'm sure it would be quite easy to start up an RT practice room.

Fuel Crossfeed
24th Jun 2004, 12:28
You could also buy an airband radio so that you can listen in to the ATC frequencies Maybe stand at the end of a runway with it and listen in. A bit spotterish I know!! but it will tune your ear in to what is said.

oxford blue
24th Jun 2004, 13:29
There are CBT CD ROMs for both VFR and IFR R/T communications procedures produced by various training providers, including the company that I work for. You may find these useful, if you didn't know about them previously.

Oxford Blue
OAT Instructor