PDA

View Full Version : Mustering

solowflyer
21st Jun 2004, 13:25
Could someone please point us in the right direction.

When (season) and where is the best place to look for mustering work and any recomendations as to where to do the low level training.

Heliport
21st Jun 2004, 17:39
The right direction is here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=111309).

currawong
22nd Jun 2004, 03:53
Are you talking rotary or fixed wing?

solowflyer
22nd Jun 2004, 04:22
Bug smasher. Preferably Qld

currawong
22nd Jun 2004, 06:15
Pm "the wizard of auz" (spell check pls wiz)

Other end of the country but he is in the game so may be able to give you some hot tips.

He may even be able to do more than that;) .

Good luck.

Desert Duck
24th Jun 2004, 06:26
Sandy Kidd at Windorah

The Strez
24th Jun 2004, 13:35
Try either Kidman or Stranbroke Pastoral companies. They operate C182/172/206 and PA18s. Plenty of flying but be prepared to be a ringer with a pilots licence. Best fun flying ever if ya get a go! :cool:

185skywagon
26th Jun 2004, 07:16
ring sandy kidd "Ourdell" at windorah. he has his training approval up and running again. the pilot at naryilco (kidmans) also has this approval. stanbroke company probably will not have it's aviation wing for much longer, the way things are going.

you could your initial low level with an ag training company. you will get a much better grounding(?) in to low level flying.
having done both mustering and ag2 endorsements, i believe that the introduction to LL in Ag, is much more thoroughly taught than some mustering trainers.

i also believe mal beard is moving in the direction of low level training.

call me if you want any further info. 0746547166.
regards,
cracker.

nick murry
10th Jul 2004, 01:55
haha mustering!

Mate try NAPCO (North Australian Pastoral Co)

Great hands on flying for your first job + they pay well too.

after 3 months your on $500 clear per week. Food and accommodations free.

But be prepared to work for it dude.

Typical Day....

5am: As your rolling out of bed light your first smoke
6am: Beef for breakfast
7am: freezing your nuts off on the back of a cruiser as
Some 14 year old tries to get sideways around every
corner he can find.
8am: Kill redback spider as your climb into your underpowered
9am. Muster paddic 6 8 and 9.
11am. Find some dirt road and land for a sneeky camp
12am: Beef for lunch. Try and root the jillaroo
1pm: go and pull a bore.
3pm. cut some nuts out of a retarded bull
4pm: Go and dig a dam out with a front-end loader. almost roll
and kill yourself
5pm: try and root the jillaroo
7pm: fight a fire
8pm: Beef for dinner
9pm: drink your allowance of 2 XXXX golds then pull a bottle of rum out from under your bed and get totally smashed
10pm: try as hard as your can to root the jillaroo.

one of the best times of my life.... for real!

good luck

nick murry
10th Jul 2004, 09:44
ps I got my low level for a grand. A man by the name of Neal runs a flying school out of Ayr. 0428777290.
also!! make sure you complete your course in a high wing a/c.

steamchicken
11th Jul 2004, 16:21
You missed out: 5.15am - crush the fag and dash for the sink to get your morning foreskin check in before the rush.

7.10am - listen to boss's son telling you his own special way of shutting a gate - without burying a stilson wrench in his arrogant skull.

7.35am - take over cruiser for your own safety

7.36am - Christ! no brakes!

7.37am - 14 year old has control!

4.45pm - second mad crapper dash of the day; trying to get clean to improve chances with jillaroo, reduce risk of crotch rot.

10.05pm - give up on jillaroo, consider getting your black wings..

185skywagon
11th Jul 2004, 23:12
nick,
sounds like you must have been at dagworth or kynuna station.

nick murry
16th Jul 2004, 01:46
you mean Dagwort? ;)

vh-oja
16th Jul 2004, 05:43
Unfortunately getting a job with stanbroke just got a hell of a lot harder. With the new ownership certain heirachy believe that aeroplane mustering stresses the cattle too much (isn't that the idea). Anyway, all aerial mustering by aeroplane has now been stopped. Most of the 182's will be sold, last i heard only 2 were going to remain for personnel transportation and bore runs etc...
:{

152passenger
16th Jul 2004, 11:40
Its a real shame to hear stanbroke has stopped fixed wing mustering.
How I miss those 8+ hour days below 300' at lake nash.
Lots of guys got there start with what was a company with a good reputation.

birdkiller
23rd Jul 2004, 07:12
I did my low level endorsement at FTA (Brisbane) with Brian Westin - who has trained many stanbroke pilots. I suggest that you get your low level endorsement with someone who has experience mustering rather than crop dusting because they will be able to give you some really good tips about stock rather than just scare the crap out of you ;)

Look for a job at any time of year. A 'holiday job' is a good way to get a look in where you are filling in for the pilot while he is away for christmas holidays. You are then in a very good position when the pilot then decides that he has had a gutful and is not going to drag his sorry arse out there for another season.

Finally, be prepared for a lot of hard work, idiotic comments from the manager's wife, and strange looks when you mention that your name really isn't 'pilot' or 'useless pilot'... the upside is that the flying is the best flying you'll ever do

good luck with it!

bk

steamchicken - with a sense of humour like that you must have spent some time in the channel country (Bulloo perhaps?)