PDA

View Full Version : Suse 9.1 connection to Windows XP

Mishandled
21st Jun 2004, 10:02
As a complete newbie to Linux, I thought I'd just plough straight in and install it on my spare laptop, which went well as far as I can tell. The laptop works and all the things seem to work, with the rather vital exception that the YaST thingy won't recognise my ADSL modem, and so I cant access the net, which is pretty much all I want to do with the laptop. My question is this:

Can I connect my Suse laptop (Suse 9.1 Personal edition) to my Windows XP Pro desktop and use that computers access to the internet? if so can anyone give me some pointers as to how to start? (please be gentle)

(and to complicate matters, my XP installation is in German, which makes things pretty tricky, as it stretches my vocab a bit:D )

Thanks a lot.

(ps I have looked at various linux websites, but I think they are all written in some foreign language that I dont understand yet):O

goates
21st Jun 2004, 14:31
The easiest way would be to buy a router with built in switch. Then all you need to do is turn on the DHCP server on the router, and tell the computers to automatically get the address from it.

goates

Memetic
21st Jun 2004, 20:16
Hi Mishandled,

What make and model is th ADSL modem?

If as I am guessing it's a USB modem/router firstly there may be SuSE drivers out there under a diferent name, as many of the ADSL modems share the same few chip sets.

Secondly if it is USB then you may have a free network port on the desktop machine, which until you get the modem working will give you more connetion options for the laptop. I'd suggest reading microsoft's help pages on internet connection sharing then trying to get that working on the German PC.

If you don't have a USB ADSL modem then things might be even easier as it could just be a configuration issue.

Added later: This might help... http://www.devhood.com/messages/message_view-2.aspx?thread_id=71229

Mishandled
22nd Jun 2004, 08:39
:ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Memetic
22nd Jun 2004, 09:33
Does that mean you got it working? :O

Mac the Knife
23rd Jun 2004, 18:54
SOUNDS like you got it working - hope so.

ADSL is lank expensive out here so I don't have it, but a quick google for "suse usb adsl" gives lots of hits.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/54350 may have your answer.

Welcome to the free world!