PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word start-up bug

Tonic Please
21st Jun 2004, 08:36
Hi :)

Microsoft Word was being tested at a family members friends house, and has gone cuput!

It was opened fine, and the fingers run along the keyboard for some jargon to test the printer. Its an old system, running on 98 (not SE). Packard Bell.

The printing was done fine, and the program closed down. No saves done.

Upon re-opening, the jargon previously run along the keyboard for the printer test opens up on EVERY blank document you open!! Youi can simply delete it, but what a :mad: nuisance!!

I have tried a few thigns, but no avail. Does anyone have any idea? I dont realy know what else to add! It was Office 97 I think. Just opens up with "sdfghjcvbnmm,." that kinda thing before you do anything.

Thank you
Dan

Globaliser
21st Jun 2004, 09:11
It sounds like you've managed accidentally to save the random test input in the default template - so every time Word opens a new document based on the template you get the same stuff.

Best thing is to press F1 (or open up Help) and search for "edit template" and follow the instructions.

In most versions of Word that I've used, it'll go something along these lines:-
1. File -> New, which should bring up a dialog box with a selection of templates. (Office XP has a sidebar which lists types of templates you can choose, "General Templates" bringing up that dialog box.)
2. Right click on whatever looks like the default template ("Blank Document", for example) and open it.
3. Edit it to delete the random characters and then save it.

Tonic Please
21st Jun 2004, 09:28
Thanks you. I'll pass it on and tell you of the outcome.

Dan

E-Liam
21st Jun 2004, 11:47
Hi Dan,

To add to Globaliser's help, generally the first thing to do with any problem such as you have with Word, is to find and delete..

normal.dot

which can be found in...

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates\...

Then reboot and Word will rebuild a new one for you. This is automatic, and needs no more input.

Solves most problems.. :)

Cheers

Liam

Tonic Please
21st Jun 2004, 11:52
Done.

Globaliser, I tried yours. Because I had to save it, it treated it as a word document, so when I re-opened it, it still had this blasted thing but had saved a blank document :}

E-Liam got it. So, we both learnt something new!

Cheers
Dan

Globaliser
21st Jun 2004, 12:39
E-Liam will always do better than I can. Glad you got the extra help!