PDA

View Full Version : Ballistic Tables for Ford Taurus automobiles

SASless
21st Jun 2004, 03:24
Any of you guys out there have Ballistic Tables for Ford Taurus automobiles?

After today's car drop....we need to rethink our procedure for air launching improperly parked cars at our Air Show. From the evidence, it appears a Ford Taurus four door has a better glide ratio than does a Buick Regal Coupe.

The thing lofted a bit....and at one time appeared headed directly onto the VOR transmitter....but fortunately missed.

Several of us were dusting off our Resume's for a while thinking we might have need for them.:E

Rich Lee
21st Jun 2004, 21:31
I have never dropped a car, but I have always wanted to. The car drop is my favorite display act. I have often thought that there should be a car drop competition with categories such as accuracy, distance and of course....style! I bet this would be a crowd pleasing event!

Robbo Jock
21st Jun 2004, 21:43
But Rich, having seen some of the photos of you in action, you'd be expected to do the "loop and toss it over your shoulder". That could prove 'interesting' in terms of ballistics and drop zones!

Ascend Charlie
21st Jun 2004, 22:54
In the early 70s our air force wanted to drop a VW Kombi van from a Huey for a demo. The crewman (not fully trained as a loadmaster in those days) looped a couple of strops through the windows front and back, and away they went.

At about 40 knots, the roof peeled off, the chassis dropped (luckily into a clear area) and the aerodynamic roof flew up on the end of its strops. It somehow passed over the tail boom without hitting the rotor and lodged hanging below the synch elevator.

The crew put the machine down very quickly, and departed for a change of underwear!

Rich Lee
21st Jun 2004, 22:58
I should think there would be rules promolgated to prohibit inverted tosses and the like. I must count myself as a car dropping purist although I am sure the younger generation will think of all sorts of car tossing methods shortly that I would find amusing.

I wonder, who here in this forum as dropped the greatest number of vehicles and what wisdom we can learn from that pilot's experience?

Cyclic Hotline
22nd Jun 2004, 01:39
A colleague of mine was just recounting how he dropped a 15,000 pound boulder from 1000 feet!

It created a giant crater, within which, no sign of the boulder could be seen.

He also said it blew the surrounding trees clean out of the ground, roots and all!:eek:

Barrels of water from 500 feet, dropped into water, explode like nothing you ever heard before! :ok:

Never dropped a car - but then again, thats what they pay us the big bucks for!

diethelm
22nd Jun 2004, 15:39
If the car falls on top of an R22 starting up, and the blades are at 2 and 4, who pays to fix the car? :D

SASless
24th Jun 2004, 03:18
Rich finally admits it....Gunnies are Tossers!:ok: