PDA

View Full Version : Getting FAA PPL & CPL

Datcon
20th Jun 2004, 23:41
What does someone who holds a UK PPL(H) have to do to obtain -
(1) a full FAA PPL(H), not an FAA PPL based on a UK PPL?
(2) an FAA CPL(H)?

Any idea of how many hours and cost for the above?

Thanks in advance.

PS
I checked the threads on the training questions page but I can't find the answer to these questions.

mattpilot
21st Jun 2004, 04:54
at least 40 hours of general flight time, of which at least 20 hours include training from an authorized (read FAA qualified) instructor, and also included in the 40 hours is 10 hours of solo flight training in the AO listed in 61.107 - etc etc... FAR 61.109 (c) brakes it all down for you to read .. but basically you'd need to get 20 hours of instruction from an FAA instructor. Thats assuming UK training is similar to US training and you've done most of the stuff listed in above mentioned FAR in your UK PPL training.

As for the CPL - it also mentioneds a lot, but if you got the hours already, then again, all you basically need is an additional 20 hours of instruction from a US CFI.

so make that 40 hours total * USD 200 per hour to rent a helo = 8 G's :)

Head Bolt
21st Jun 2004, 07:04
Datcon

The holder of a full UK or JAA PPL needs only to pass the FAA multichoice exam, get an FAA Class 2 medical, and have 3 hours of flight time with an FAA instructor in the 60 days prior to the flight test.

Mattpilot is correctly quoting the requirements for a full issue which is not your situation.

Best of luck

Heliport
21st Jun 2004, 07:33
Head Bolt

Does that give you a full FAA PPL(H) which is independent of your UK/JAA PPL and will remain valid even if your UK/JAA licence lapses?

Head Bolt
21st Jun 2004, 13:41
Heliport

Yes it does. The FAA will accept a full license from a JAA state as satisfying their own training requirements, and after the flight test you will be issued with a full FAA license.

Thereafter, should you wish not to renew the other license (or indeed not be able to) then provided you meet the FAA medical requirements and recency checks, the license remains full and valid.

There is a strong case for having both licenses as independents, because you are then legally able to take advantage of whatever each may offer as regulations change.

Fly safely all

Datcon
21st Jun 2004, 14:44
Thanks Head Bolt.
That's a lot easier than I thought it would be and it makes good sense.

Some more questions please if I'm not pushing my luck to far. :eek:

Can I do the FAA exams here?
What are the best books to get?
Are there any FAA ground schools in England?

FAA CPL(H) questions --
I've heard that FAA exams are more practical than CAA exams because they concentrate on what you need to know and not stuff you'll never use.
Are the FAA CPL ground exams a lot more difficult than the FAA PPL exams?

Some people have told me if I'm going to do the FAA license I might as well go for a CPL. I'd never want to use a CPL to work but it could be worth it just to learn more and be a safer pilot.

Is the FAA CPL flight test a lot more difficult than the FAA PPL test?

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

chopperpilot47
21st Jun 2004, 15:19
Head bolt is absolutely right. The last I heard you could take FAA computerised exams in either Norwich or Humberside. I advise you to study using something like the ASA prepware as it closely resembles the FAA exams and has the full question database. I advise you then to take the actual exams in the USA where you only pay $80 with free resits if required. The ASA website is at www.asa2fly.com

There is no FAA ground school as far as I know in the UK but I am back in the UK this week and would be happy to help you out if you need it. PM me for my number. I am back and forth to the USA so if you need help call me.

The FAA commercial exams are not too difficult with some study. I would not describe them as easy though. I agree with your suggestion about taking the commercial. You will need a total of 150 hours flight time, airplane or helicopter, with at least 50 of those hours being rotorcraft. If you have that then go for the commercial.

The commercial flight test is rightly testing requiring accurate and safe flying. Nobody who knows would describe the commercial checkride as easy. The big difference between the commercial and private is accuracy. This is all set out in the Practical Test Standards where the required standards are set out.

My website lists the requirements for private and commercial with other information about visas, cost etc. Let me know if you need any more information. www.dutchcountryhelo.com

Regards,

Chopperpilot 47

md 600 driver
21st Jun 2004, 15:23
ther is a faa examiner in the uk at coventry

there is a test centre for faa written exams at humberside and norwich
i find the ASA books easier to read but the king videos/dvd are great

groungd school can be done at humberside or with your faa instructor [cfi]
if you want any tel nos send a message i dont know if i can just write the names and tel nos on the forum

bust of luck i did mine some time ago

steve

when i finished writing this i noticed there was another reply sorry

Head Bolt
28th Jun 2004, 16:16
Datcon

Go with the advice given by chopperpilot47, he is right on the money and there is nothing to add to his post.

You will find that if you ask around various flight schools in the UK they will tell you a whole raft of different requirements, it may not be intentionally incorrect but if it is different to what has been posted above it isn't right.

Fly safely

charlie s charlie
4th Jul 2004, 09:53
If you are finding you have lots of queries regarding the FAA rules, you can view them all online here:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?sid=4552857936652beece37a4576ad13bff&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfrv2_02.tpl

Click here (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=4552857936652beece37a4576ad13bff&rgn=div6&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.8&idno=14) to hop straight to the Flight Instructor part

Hope its of some help,
Charlie

blave
5th Jul 2004, 05:58
I would like to add in my two cents (pence?) about a relatively inexpensive, web-downloadable program that I have been using to prepare for FAA written exams. I used it for my private pilot and instrument fixed-wing exams in 2000 and 2002, and am currently using it to study for my helicopter commercial one. It seems to be quite a bit less $ compared to the competition... I've been very happy with its functionality and features.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/

As I recall it's about a 13Mb download.

good luck,

Dave Blevins

Heliport
5th Jul 2004, 10:33
Aren't these things readily avaiable free of charge on the web? :confused:

Heliport.