PDA

View Full Version : Does Cathay require resign?

Recapitulate
20th Jun 2004, 21:33
Does Cathay require you to resign your seniority number at your Furloughed airline?

Direct entry F/Os at the US bases work for a contract company. Do they require that since you are on a contract??

Last part, which US bases fly 74-200s and which ones the 744F?

Thanks-------Recap

Penske
21st Jun 2004, 04:19
You must provide written proof that you have resigned from all previous employment prior to commencing groundschool. You will be working for USAB (USA Basing Company) which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Cathay Pacific. You will have a spot on the main Cathay seniority list, and be eligible to transfer to the Passenger fleet once your 3 year (from completion of training) tour of the cargo operation is complete.

The 747-400 is the only aircraft flown by Cathay Cargo from the North American bases.

stwjet
25th Jun 2004, 18:00
Penske,

I am curious if you are flying for Cathay? If so, could you give us guys looking in the front door an idea what the furniture looks like. I am curious about the North American freighter side of the company. IE working conditions, days off, etc.

Thanks in advance

scott

Penske
27th Jun 2004, 23:02
I do work for the company and am extremely happy to be here. I am a new joiner on the freighter side and am LAX based.

Your questions are identical to the ones that everyone has when they consider joining a new company.

From what I have learned so far, the rosters on the Freighter are generally very good. Some might argue that the CHI or NY based pilots have the best schedules as they get to be home the most nights per month. I can't comment directly on that, but I can tell you that in general terms, you will work approximately half the month. Some guys describe it as a week on, week off. As most of the flying from a North American base involves long haul flying, it is mathematically impossible to work much more than that.

My previous life was in Canada, where the aviation industry (from a career perspective) is an unmitigated disaster. Cathay Pacific has made me feel very welcome, and overall, my view of the company is positive. I have met some exceptionally good people here, and the airline is very good at making money. That of course translates to job security, which ranks right up there on my career wish list.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

rjer
12th Jul 2004, 16:29
do you need to have an american licence to be based in LAX or
Will they hire you and give you one.
Also, they don't provide housing allowance for american or canadian bases do they?

I too am working for a canadian company and I envy you for getting out.....

dhoonk
12th Jul 2004, 21:45
No, you do not need an FAA licence.

You will be flying Hong Kong registered aircraft and will be issued a Hong Kong CPL/ATPL based on the strength of your Canadian ATPL after writing a bunch of exams, completing ground school, sim training and doing circuits in the aircraft.

There is no housing allowance for basings in North America.

Aussie
13th Jul 2004, 02:47
Hey mate, thanks for your answers!
Do you know if you have to have a green card to work for Cathay in the states?
Like an Ozzie eith no green card, can he still work for Cathay in the US or needs to be a citizen of the country? Cheers

AUssie

rjer
28th Jul 2004, 00:40
thanks for the above answer.

I was wondering if someone knows how much different the pay is for US or Canadian based pilots relative to their Hong Kong counterparts? ( a percentage maybe)

thanks