PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Instructors rating

spitfire747
20th Jun 2004, 17:10
Am i right in assuming like the jaa, to be able to teach in the USA, you need to have a FAA CPL and a FAA CFI rating... ie to teach PPL level VFR pilots in SEP..
Do you HAVE to have the FAA instrument rating, Multi rating etc.. just to get the CFI ?? Have looked all over the FAA website but cannot find the answer

Cheers
Spitty

minus273
21st Jun 2004, 06:41
Hey there,

FAR reg 61.183 seems to cover it I think. You can view the FARs at www.landings.com , but in short yes you will need an FAA CPL SEL and Instrument rating.

There are two written exams FOI and CFI. Then an oral and flight test.

You will be able to instruct PPL and CPL single.

If you want to teach Instrument you will need to do the written for the CFII and take CFII flight test.

For the MEI just a flight test.

Sorry about previous comments snapped my ankle over the weekend so been out of it on pain killers.

'I' in the sky
21st Jun 2004, 09:38
Think you'll find that you DO need to hold an IR before you can hold a CFI rating regardless of whether you want just a CFI or CFII

DesiPilot
21st Jun 2004, 12:56
I agree with I in the Sky.

The CFI candidate must hold unrestricted FAA Commercial and instrument rating and appropriate class rating. i.e. SEL for CFI and CFII, MEL for MEI.

'I' in the sky
22nd Jun 2004, 11:31
And to qualify The last bit of DesiPilot's post, 'unrestricted' in the case of the IR means doing the FAA training and flight test, not a conversion issued just on passing the Foreign Instrument Pilot written test.