PDA

View Full Version : WIN.INI slightly corrupt

Bern Oulli
20th Jun 2004, 16:35
Windows ME, 1Ghz Pentium 3, ABit mobo, 512Mb RAM etc. It has been behaving a little strangely of late and I've done the obvious - virus scan, Adaware and Spybot scan. defragged the drives. Decided to have a poke around in the .ini files. In the WIN.INI file, under the [Pscript TrueType Substitutions] section, there are the usual substitutions and then a load of gobbledygook, as you can see. I notice that the fonts on Prune are looking a bit odd on my display so wot is going on?

Should I just delete the rubbish?
What ought to be there, if anything?

Arial=Helvetica
Arial Narrow=Helvetica-Narrow
Book Antiqua=Palatino
Bookman Old Style=Bookman
Century Gothic=AvantGarde
Century Schoolbook=NewCenturySchlbk
Courier New=Courier
Monotype Corsiva=ZapfChancery
Monotype Sorts=ZapfDingbats
Symbol=Symbol
Times New Roman=Times
‚l‚r –¾’©=ƒŠƒ…ƒEƒ~ƒ“L-KL
@‚l‚r –¾’©=@ƒŠƒ…ƒEƒ~ƒ“L-KL
‚l‚r ƒSƒVƒbƒN=’†ƒSƒVƒbƒNBBB
@‚l‚r ƒSƒVƒbƒN=@’†ƒSƒVƒbƒNBBB
±¼¸²=HYµÕ±Ù°'µñM
@±¼¸²=@HYµÕ±Ù°'µñM
±¼¸²Ã¼=HYµÕ±Ù°'µñM (°'Á¤Æø)
@±¼¸²Ã¼=@HYµÕ±Ù°'µñM (°'Á¤Æø)
±Ã¼_=HY±Ã¼_B
@±Ã¼_=@HY±Ã¼_B
±Ã¼_ü=HY±Ã¼_B (°'Á¤Æø)
@±Ã¼_ü=@HY±Ã¼_B (°'Á¤Æø)
µ¸¿ò=HYÁß°'µñ
@µ¸¿ò=@HYÁß°'µñ
µ¸¿òü=HYÁß°'µñ (°'Á¤Æø)
@µ¸¿òü=@HYÁß°'µñ (°'Á¤Æø)
¹ÙÅÁ=HY½Å¸'Á¶
@¹ÙÅÁ=@HY½Å¸'Á¶
¹ÙÅÁü=HY½Å¸'Á¶ (°'Á¤Æø)
@¹ÙÅÁü=@HY½Å¸'Á¶ (°'Á¤Æø)
·ÂËÎ_GB2312=»ªÎÄ·ÂËÎ
@·ÂËÎ_GB2312=@»ªÎÄ·ÂËÎ
¿¬Ìå_GB2312=»ªÎÄ¿¬Ìå
@¿¬Ìå_GB2312=@»ªÎÄ¿¬Ìå

PPRuNeUser0171
20th Jun 2004, 18:56
Looks like it is corrupt.

Rename the win.ini or move it out of the way then reboot it should regenerate it based on the system system (I think, been a while since I touched ME).

Your better option is to restore the file from a backup - You DO have backups don't you?! :-) If not do some now there may be a reason the file got corrupt and I'd abckup before anything else happens.

--
Gary.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd Jun 2004, 14:01
Bern Oulli,

Did you add a font package or did you remove a language recently?

Take Care,

Richard

Bern Oulli
26th Jun 2004, 17:36
Finally got things working again. Thanks for the suggestions chaps, but in the end it turned out to be something quite different. I haven't found out what caused that strange .INI file entry, but just after my last post everything keeled over with a "Not Enough Memory" error. Cutting a loooong story short, the culprit turned out to be Norton System Works 2004. Uninstall, followed by a complete manual removal of all the bits Uninstall didn't, followed by a re-install, seems to have solved the "out of memory" thing. Three cheers for Selective Start-Up.

Sorry williamsg, back-ups?? One only does back-ups after a fright like that! Like wot I have just done!

PPRuNeUser0171
26th Jun 2004, 17:43
Sorry williamsg, back-ups?? One only does back-ups after a fright like that! Like wot I have just done!

Everyone - Take Note!!!! :D

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th Jun 2004, 14:56
Bern Oulli,

I fix more computers just by removing Norton from their systems. :rolleyes:

Take Care,

Richard