PDA

View Full Version : In House Hotel Movies

m-dot
20th Jun 2004, 07:49
Dont you hate overnighting at those hotels that have the pay/confirm type in house video system??!!

Apparently there is a way to enter a 'maintenance' mode that allows you to view them for free.

I have pulled the control apart many times but still no joy.

Does anyone have any idea how to do it?

:ok:

charliemanson
20th Jun 2004, 08:18
Do you take packed peanut butter sandwiches for dinner, and pocket the meal allowance too?? :O

m-dot
20th Jun 2004, 09:30
No mate sorry I dont.

THe movies are 14 dollars each to buy. When you get a three day layover that can add up.

404 Titan
20th Jun 2004, 09:42
He probably doesn’t like the adult’s only movie title appearing on the bill.:uhoh:

m-dot
20th Jun 2004, 09:59
No mate - just the $14 for watching a movie I could rent at Blockbuster.

If I wanted stick flicks, I could ask yo borrow one of the other crews laptops!

itchybum
20th Jun 2004, 10:17
Ask the hosties. There is usually one on board who knows which diode to snip for the free movies....

OzExpat
20th Jun 2004, 12:00
It's a real shame that international aircrews are paid so poorly that they can't afford $14 for a movie. Perhaps we could ask Captain Danny to start a "survival fund" for them all...

OzExpat
20th Jun 2004, 12:02
Yeah, I see yer point mate... 3 x 14 = $42! That's a HUGE amount of money...

The Voice
20th Jun 2004, 13:49
ginormous sum .. almost akin to my meal allowances for a call out!

redsnail
20th Jun 2004, 14:10
Buy a nice laptop computer, take your own DVD's. Problem solved.

charliemanson
20th Jun 2004, 21:04
Sounds like the tale of the tight captain to me... :p

EPIRB
21st Jun 2004, 04:19
I remember in the Ansett days when the management of the Hyatt in Adelaide discovered people knew how to get the movies for free. Ansett had to send a manager across to sort the issue out and do some pacifying. I never did find out how to do it either.

m-dot
21st Jun 2004, 09:11
3 x 14 = $42 not huge !!

1 x 14 x (100 overnights) = $1400

when you build that into mortgage repayments . .... .. .

Dont know how much you all are getting paid, but it must be more than me!!

Omark44
21st Jun 2004, 11:47
You've missed the point m-dot. The movie facility is just that, a facility, like the gym, the posh restaurant at the top, the business centre, massage salon etc. etc. If you can't afford them then you can't use them! Simple really.

deadhead
21st Jun 2004, 12:14
It isn't the cost, it's the challenge. Nothing like ripping off a system solely designed to rip you off.

Didn't know how though, either...

itchybum
21st Jun 2004, 13:04
good point deadhead.

They make a killing with the videos.

Add a rip-off rate for movies to a remote control left laying around and a pilot left unsupervised for a night and what do they expect? :rolleyes: It's not the pilot's fault.

I now know how to do it, by the way. I did a google search.

But because I'm so fabulously wealthy plus deeply-bothered about being labelled a tight-arse pilot by the hosties (who, strangely, never seem to buy any drinks or hang around for the bill, isn't that weird...) I will not be applying the technique.

22nd Jun 2004, 10:34
Humm

average overnights per month = 15

Movie cost = USD 15.00

NZD cost = 24.00 * 15 = $360.00

Conclusion = "rip off"

Some hotels still provide free movies!!!

PS the "adult movies" don't appear on your bill....

PPS they are usually censored anyway.

PPPS what was your search topic on Google???

Pinky the pilot
22nd Jun 2004, 11:32
I am obviously someone in a very small minority! I could'nt think of anything more mind numbingly boring or brain deadening than to watch movies in a hotel/motel room.
Much rather read a good book! Anything by Wilbur Smith, Frederick Forsyth, Clive Cussler, Robert Ludlum,Colin Forbes etc etc etc.
Either that or cuddle up with.. er.. ahem!!:D
Her name was Minami and that was some time ago too!!

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

TopperHarley
22nd Jun 2004, 20:21
Be careful ! Whilst the title of the movie dosnt necessarily appear on your bill, the chain of hotels we stay at charge a different price for the tit-flicks !.

$13.95 for a normal movie, $14.95 for the bluey

Bit of a give away when your checking out :-)

404 Titan
23rd Jun 2004, 00:09
I suppose it is a bit like buying a box of condoms from a store full of young chicks. :hmm:

Capt Snooze
23rd Jun 2004, 02:54
I dunno about that, 404.

Buying the condoms probably indicates to the chicks, you're a responsible, sensitive, caring sort of a guy............................

:D :D

I'm gone!
23rd Jun 2004, 03:18
Snoozy,

I am told that a far more reliable form of contraception for a pilot is his personality:}

Cheers,
I'm gone!

Pass-A-Frozo
28th Jun 2004, 00:55
I can't believe your trying to rip off the movies....

For free calls do a net search on "Blue Box" or Blue Boxing... or 2600 hz. :ok:

The Hedge
28th Jun 2004, 07:11
To answer your question m-dot, the "Movielink" movie system does have a master remote control which allows viewing of the movie without a charge being automatically going on your account.

I used to work as a concierge and the master remote went walkies at least a few times with departing staff.

The movies are charged to your room account via an interface and can only be reversed if there is a fault.

If you get your hands on the red remote, movies will be free.

itchybum
28th Jun 2004, 09:37
Are we talking about the system with the big remote with a green button and a red button for the pay-flicks?

If so, there's a way to do it without the "brain-bug" remote.

You have to take off the front and invert the rubber keypad so as to provide a "button" to press a contact that has no actual external "button" (reason being it is for technical use). You can then enter the technical functions and screw around and eventually get a free flick but I don't know which functions or how to get there through the menu.

Or is it the system with the long skinny remote??? Can't remember but they reckon it works. The big remote I think. I tried it once because that sort of scam appeals to me but it was ages ago.

Would be embarrassing to get caught.

If it's the old system with the rectangular remote with the white "pay" button, I know how to do it and it's piss-easy. But they're very uncommon these days.

m-dot
28th Jun 2004, 12:20
Thanks to the Hedge and Itchybum.

m-dot

:D :) :D

matkat
28th Jun 2004, 14:45
If this guy is a FO then he is going to be a good Capt,if he is a Capt then we are not surprised!!!!:ok: