PDA

View Full Version : RedHat Linux question

The Nr Fairy
19th Jun 2004, 20:36
I've got RHL 9.0 - don't ask why I've not got Fedora.

I've got the source code for the Prism54 (wireless card chipset drivers) but I think they're in source form.

Anyone got a pointer for a reasonably competent Unix bod on what I need to do next ?

I'm downloading the SRPM iso files as I type . . .

Evo
20th Jun 2004, 08:23
OK, as nobody else has answered... :)

First off, i'm a bit confused by

I'm downloading the SRPM iso files as I type . . .

.iso files are for burning onto CD, SRPMs are source RPMs. I'd expect you to get something called filename.src.rpm.

Assuming you have got a .src.rpm, become root, then type

rpmbuild --rebuild filename.src.rpm

this will build the package and, assuming the build worked, it will create filename.rpm - it may be somewhere like /usr/src/packages/RPMS or in the working directory, depends what RedHat are doing these days. The build output should give you a hint as to where the rpm was created. Go there, then type

rpm -ivh filename.rpm

Which should say something like

Preparing... ######################## [100%]
1: filename ######################## [100%]

And there you go

The Nr Fairy
20th Jun 2004, 09:13
The SRPM iso files are the CD images for all the source - I presume.

So all I need do is find the right sources (once I've burned the CDs) which the Prism driver depends on for the kernel, then install the Prism ones, then it ?should? work ? But it's not quite that simple, I think . . .

Evo
20th Jun 2004, 10:36
Is there any kind of README on the .iso? That should help you work out what to do

You don't have to burn the .iso to a CD. On Linux you can mount it on the loopback filesystem, as root it's something like

mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 filename.iso /mnt/iso

(that's from memory - I don't have a Linux box to hand to check it)

filename.iso is the filename of the .iso and /mnt/iso is the mountpoint (you may have to create it). When you are finished looking at the files, unmount with

umount /mnt/iso

My guess is that the SRPMs will create a loadable module is /lib/modules - you can then load it with modprobe (http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl8_modprobe.htm) ... or is it insmod, I forget :rolleyes: :)