PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding Flight Instructor jobs in China

patience
19th Jun 2004, 19:17
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how one would go about finding flight instructing work out in (specifically) China (or Asia, generally, if anyone knows). The internet is not turning much up and i assume its due to Chinese websites being in (er..) Chinese.

I'm a 26 yr old Brit with my FAA CPL/IR/CFI/CMEI/CFII and would like a bit of a break in that part of the world (a year or two).. (am still in US at mo)..

would appreciate any sort of related advice

Thanks in advance

Mike

firehorse
21st Jun 2004, 06:58
Mate I am afraid you have 2 shows..... one is ... none. Try posting in the Far East forum maybe. Remember most of the serious flt trg is done downunder.

kwaiyai
21st Jun 2004, 07:59
Hi Mike,
Very difficult what you are proposing, Have U considered Malaysia as there are 2 schools there looking for Instructors I understand. PM me if you like but dont expect quick reply as out of the country at present.
Cheers.

Kaptin M
21st Jun 2004, 08:39
Unless you are totally fluent in one of the Chinese dialects, Mike, I would suspect you have next to no chance of working in China, as ALL R/T transmissions in Chinese airspace, between Chinese aircraft & ATC, are in Chinese.
The only time English is spoken, is for comms with a non-Chinese aircraft.

To put your scenario into perspective, your request would be akin to a Chinese speaking flight instructor looking to find work in England!

I`d suggest you follow up on kwaiyai`s offer if he`s aware of vacancies in Malaysia (I`m sure that you`ll enjoy it a lot more there, too.)

Capt Snooze
21st Jun 2004, 16:47
Gotta disagree a little with you there, Cappy.

We are hearing a rising percentage of English communications with Chinese registered and operated aircraft here over the past year or so. As you are probably aware, there is a concerted effort in China to increase and improve the use of English. Aviation is one of the big targets. China Southern and Shenzhen Airlines use English RT on a lot of flights these days. Domestic stuff, not just International.

Much as Malaysia is a real nice place to live, China is not so tough either. A language barrier initially, but otherwise one of the better places around.

With respect to your advice on the work situation however, I couldn’t have put it better.

Snooze

(Shenzhen, Guandong Province, PRC) :ok: :ok:

patience
23rd Jun 2004, 20:40
gents, i am truly grateful (and amused).

thanks for your advice. I think the idea that they are pushing for 'everything English' is there, but the reality may not be quite so. I will be chasing the Malaysian and Australian leads. The oddest advice I got was that I should go backpacking out there with my licenses.. doesn't sound quite as daft afterall

thank you again for your replies, esp kwaiyai
ta
Mike

firehorse
1st Jul 2004, 01:52
Hey Snooze,

Good point, more fun to be had in the PRC than KL i figure.

Patience: Try ACFC as well as Baiyun GA Club.

Paul,
Shekou - China

Aileron Roll
4th Jul 2004, 05:30
Kwaiyai,

do you know if Wilson was ever replaced at MFA, have been told the place was never the same without him !

kwaiyai
6th Jul 2004, 05:07
Waddya mean AR I thought Wilson was still there/ What happened to the great man?
Regards:sad:

Aileron Roll
7th Jul 2004, 10:19
Kwiayai

The Wilson thing very sad, he died of SARs a little over a year ago, a hell of a shock for everybody as he was very fit and healthy, but still he did manage to log 86000 flying hours, he was buried at sea, if you would like the exact location I will advise

RIP

kwaiyai
7th Jul 2004, 11:32
OH No:uhoh: Thats terrible, I guess grounding Concorde wouldnt have helped either. Regards,

Aileron Roll
8th Jul 2004, 10:57
The Concorde grounding did in fact play a small part. Wilson pushed very hard for it to continue flying, but he did have a big problem with the French in general, always said they would not listen etc.......

Cheeky Whitey
8th Jul 2004, 20:26
Patience...
Check out www.rishworth.co.nz
They are advertising two instructing jobs at the moment in China. A CFI position, and what looks to be a junior instructing job... gotta be worth a shot.

Cheeky

kwaiyai
17th Jul 2004, 06:44
AR, That figures about the French. Shame because Wilson would have made a great future boss there at MFA. He always was smiling whatever the weather. Regards:ok: