PDA

View Full Version : German Radiotelephony

C-47
19th Jun 2004, 11:01
Hi Everybody,

I am willing to learn some german radiotelephony in order to land in swiss, austrian and german airports which canno't guarantee english ATC services.

Does anyone know a book (or VHS, DVD, audio cassette) which I can use in order to learn german radiotelephony? Ideally it should be something in english with translation in german of standard aeronautical terms.

My german is not bad but I don't know even a single word of aeronautical terms.

I'd also appreciate any suggestion on where to find such material (pilot shops, amazon, etc.).

Thanks in advance for any reply,

C-47

sharksucker
19th Jun 2004, 21:05
Hi C47,

don´t know a book, but here are some terms ( from my own experience, I nowhere in Germany or Switzerland had a problem with english transmissions... France is another thing...)

Downwind - Gegenanflug
Base - Queranflug
Final - Endanflug
RWY - Piste

Sorry, thats all I heard on the frequency, don´t know about the rest, although I am German...

regards

Airgus
19th Jun 2004, 22:29
Hallo,

I found a nice book, the name is

ENGLISH FOR PILOTS
ENGLISCH FÜR FLUGZEUGFÜHRER

Kurt Siebenwurst (author)

Deutscher AeroClub E.V. (I think the editorial).

Search on the web page, It is completed, it is intentioned to teach english but I am using it to learn german,

Gute landung!

AirGus :ok:

2close
20th Jun 2004, 08:09
Hi C47,

I used to fly in NW Germany with a UK military GA club and, to echo sharksucker, the German controllers, at the larger airports and smaller fields (not much experience of the latter though), had a good command of English.

I have, somewhere in my upside down, inside out domicile, a German-English Pictionary, which has several pages of aviation diagrams, airliners, PA28's, Cessnas (inside and out) etc with English and German translations of all the bits and pieces.

PM me your address and I'll get copies off to you.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

Tony P