PDA

View Full Version : Freedomair Airbus's ?.

propaganda
19th Jun 2004, 06:54
Okay, when do Freedom plan to get the Bus. There's a rumour they have delayed the introduction..
Any word on hiring or will it be contract Airbus crews to start with. The Air NZ A320 training dept must be max'd out already. :ok:

skydozer
19th Jun 2004, 08:17
First aircraft (which is now an A320 not 319 as I earlier reported) will arrive in March 05. Airbus are unable to provide any 319's for a conciderable time to Freedom will get one of ANZ's new 320's. I understand it will be configured to take 162? pax.
Crewing is still TBD.

propaganda
20th Jun 2004, 07:39
SD,

Thanks for that, 162 seater A320 sounds OK for hobits, seat pitch umm.........;)

Morwheus
21st Jun 2004, 09:52
Guys I doubt freedom will get the Airbus. We shall wait and see but my guess is no way. I would think it easier to give Freedom the old Aie New Zealnd 737-300's as they are replaced by A320's...its cheaper alot less hassel and far simpler.

Just a hunch

Morf

Romeo Delta
22nd Jun 2004, 03:07
Morf-

I thought the Air NZ 'Buses were replacing the old and infirm 767-200's, and various ancient -300s... Did I hear incorrectly?

Hmm, why mix up the fleet like that? Has no one learnt anything from low fare master "Southwest"? Or JetBlue?

(Of course, both are now considering the Embraer 170, go fig...)

RD

skydozer
22nd Jun 2004, 08:13
Morf/RD

The Airbus deal is done, the initial 777 order and the 7E7 are replacements for the 767 fleet. The ANZ/Freedom 737 fleet are mainly leased aircraft that will be returned.

The 737-319's that ANZ own will be used on dometic sectors and then most likely sold/leased out to ofset some of the 777 purchase cost. I understand that the last 737 is due to leave in 2010.

Slimpickens
22nd Jun 2004, 13:34
Spoke with Freedom recently, who are planning for Airbus introduction early next year. Crew will be sourced from the Air NZ group IAW employment contracts in force. 737-to-Airbus will not be considered a roll-over, therefore all positions should be available to group pilots in seniority, but on Freedom pay and conditions. Opportunities for junior Air NZ guys for commands, as has recently happened :ok:
I would imagine 733 will be around for some time due to suitability for shorthaul plus low weight (landing fees etc) and short field performance (Rotorua etc). However, medium-term I would expect a single type single-isle for the the Air NZ group will be likely (A319/320/321), in the same way that the 777 will replace the 747/767 as the big bird and the 7e7 will fill the middle ground.
Good long term plan evolving here, given the position of Air NZ and the markets it serves. Forget QF - stick to the knitting, as it should have done pre-Ansett disaster. Profitable every year since privatisation up to- and after Ansett mess.
RD - average fleet age of 733 is 6.6 year...hardly 'ancient'! See http://www.airnz.co.nz/aboutus/fleet/default.htm

Romeo Delta
23rd Jun 2004, 03:49
SP - Sorry, I've been suffering clarity issues the last couple days. By -300s I meant the 763s, which aren't all that old either, on average, but some are getting pretty rough.

Does sound like the Air NZ people are getting some pretty good ducks in a row, but how is the Bus (319/320) short field performance compared to the 733? Could a 319 take off from Hamilton (sure it can, even with the new road in the way)? Or Queenstown (that'd be a sight)?

SD - Thanks for the info! At least we'll see the ol' 733s around for a while.

RD

logan
23rd Jun 2004, 04:39
RD! Air NZ are operating the A320 out of Queenstown to Aus at the moment and although not on the 'Bus I understand it can haul a decent load out . DUD, PMR and HLZ may be a problem for Freedom configured A/c with the higher seating density an hence their preference for the 319. Who Knows!!