PDA

View Full Version : Stray missile pre-empts golf tournament in Yellowknife

visibility3miles
19th Jun 2004, 02:45
http://north.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nwt-golfmissile06182004

Low-Pass
19th Jun 2004, 11:03
(Fighter Jock scratching his head in front of his CO) "I don't know boss, I had two of them when I left..."

:p

soddim
19th Jun 2004, 14:24
Presumably players get a free drop no nearer the hole if the missile is in their way?

Archimedes
19th Jun 2004, 22:25
Surely that would depend upon whether the missile was deemed to be a loose impediment or an obstruction?

If a loose impediment, the player may move it (I assume local rules would insist on an ATO being present), unless it lies in a hazard or on a putting green;

If deemed a moveable obstruction, then the same as above applies.

If an immoveable obstruction, then a drop within one club length, no nearer the hole (and without penalty) would be the answer.

The R&A think of everything! Nearly...

Rollingthunder
20th Jun 2004, 04:04
Yellowknife — A Canadian fighter pilot was injured Saturday after ejecting from a CF-18 Hornet, the second military mishap over Yellowknife in two days.

Captain Joseph Edward Mullins, 34, was transported to hospital with minor injuries after he lost control of the craft during landing.

"Upon landing, the pilot found that he was losing control, a lot it attributed possibly to the weather," said military spokeswoman Captain Joanna Campbell. "The runway surface conditions were not good and there was water on the runway.

"At that time, the pilot lost control and standard operating procedures dictate that he is to eject himself from the plane."

Capt. Campbell said an explosives disposal team finished removing one of the jet's damaged missiles Saturday afternoon.

The Aim-7 Sparrow missile had dislodged during the landing and was found on the runway. It was to be transported back to Cold Lake.

"There was some damage to two missiles on board," Capt. Campbell explained. "It was caused by shaking of the missiles during landing."

Capt. Campbell stressed that although the missiles were "live," the area around the plane was safe.

The incident came just a day after a missile dropped off another jet and landed on a closed golf course driving range. No one was injured.

Both planes were from 4 Wing in Cold Lake, Alta., and had been on their way to Inuvik to monitor Canadian air space during exercises by the Russian air force.

Captain Paul Umrysh, another fighter pilot who was making the trip to Inuvik, told Global news that Mullins was recovering from the incident.

"The results aren't back yet," said Capt. Umrysh. "But it looks like he's going to be just fine. Obviously a little beaten up from punching out. It can be a pretty extreme ride. But as far as we know at this time, he's going to be fine."

Yellowknife's airport was evacuated immediately after the jet landed. It was to reopen Saturday evening, said Capt. Campbell.

"It's all in concern to the travelling public," airport official Michel LaFrance told Global news. "This morning we evacuated the terminal building. We've also evacuated Adlair [a neighbouring hangar] and we have closed off the road."

Capt. Umrysh said for fighter pilots, dangerous landings can be just another part of the job.

"It has happened before," said Capt. Umrysh. "And that is a fact of the business. We're landing at fairly high speeds."

A highway in the immediate vicinity of the airport had also been closed following the incident.

" 'Are they training beginners on CF-18s in Yellowknife?' was my first thought," laughed one woman who was evacuated from the airport.

The military is still investigating why the missile fell off the CF-18 in Friday's incident.

Globe & Mail - online