PDA

View Full Version : QF Pilots Rosters

TurbineDreamer
18th Jun 2004, 22:53
Hi, Can someone tell me about the rosters at QF inparticular
how many days are you away at a time. Can differnent people fill the answer in for the different types below:

1. Long Haul
2. Short Haul (International)
3. Domestic

Also do any of the regionals do overnights?

Cheers

esreverlluf
19th Jun 2004, 00:23
Qantas mainline pilots are divided into Long Haul and Short Haul. Long Haul is basically international (although the B767 does an inordinate amount of domestic flying as well & even the jumbos do some too), whilst Short Haul is basically domestic (but they do some Tasman and Indonesian flying).

B744,B747 and B767 are administered under the Long Haul Award whilst B737 and A330 are under the Short Haul Award (although the A330 is shortly to be transferred to Long Haul).

I know very little about Short Haul, but in Long Haul the rosters are for a 56 day period and days off will vary greatly with aircraft type, rank and seniority in rank - varying from the B744 S/O with in excess of 32 days off per roster to the junior B767 Capt or F/O getting 22 days off. This is a reflection of the types of flying the different aircraft types do.

Hope that helps.

DirectAnywhere
19th Jun 2004, 00:24
How long's a piece of string??

It's largely dependent on seniority within the company, seniority in rank, hours to be flown and aircraft type. QF LH works on 8 week rosters known as Bid Periods (56 days).

For S/Os (what you're interested in I guess) senior -400 S/Os can get up to 30 odd days a bid period off. Junior guys - those doing standbys etc. - have to get a minimum 18 days off a bid period. Senior crew will typically bid for those trips that are the most efficient (have them away for the shortest period, for the most credited hours with the most overtime). The junior crews will get what's left.

744, 747, 767 and - soon - A330 all work under the LH EBA and so are rostered similarly but the rosters on the other types are not as efficient as those on the -400, due to the shorter sectors. As a result, those on other types generally spend more days at work than those on the -400 and won't get overtime. Remember, all LH crew have to have a minimum 18 days off a bid period.

TurbineDreamer
21st Jun 2004, 02:51
Thanks for the responses. Can anyone tell me how many days you are away if you are a S/O doing a Sydney-London trip.

Cheers

Keg
21st Jun 2004, 03:24
Been a while since I've done them but 8 on the 'short' trip and up to 13 on the longer 'double shuttle' where you bounce back and forward between SIN and LHR a couple of times. Highly efficient trips. I think the hours per trip have changed now but you used to be able to do two 13 dayers a bid period- which got you the thirty days off.

*Lancer*
22nd Jun 2004, 10:50
... of which 14 are spent recovering ;)