PDA

View Full Version : Bristow Redhill Closing? (Update)

BHPS
18th Jun 2004, 15:31
Read on a different list that Bristow is closing the operating side/hangar at Redhill in the next couple of months. Does this mean that all the engineering work there is being transfered to Aberdeen (or somewhere else), or is it that there isn't any work any more to justify keeping it open?

ppheli
19th Jun 2004, 07:04
That has been bar chat ever since OLOG bought Bristow. Is there any firm evidence of people at Redhill being asked to move to Aberdeen then?

MaxNg
19th Jun 2004, 11:08
ppheli

What would be the point of going to Aberdeen, The Shell contract is up for tender very shortly and if/when Bristows lose this, there won't be a lot left.

:{

HeliEng
19th Jun 2004, 13:20
I heard rumour from Bristows engineer that Mr Bristow was planning on buying the European section back from OLOG!!!

Don't what truth lies in that?????

SASless
20th Jun 2004, 00:10
If Big Al buys back Bristow I will be beating on his door....oops...sorry Pedal Stop.

If Sir Alan obtains control of the firm from the current overseas owners, I shall seek his employ. I did not mean to politicize that ....American owners...former British firm....knighthood and such. All touchy topics of late....

handyandyuk
20th Jun 2004, 15:58
Recent internal news has told of discussions within Bristows and their partners as to which of various elements might be consolidated under which banner. Without going into too much commercial confidence the upshot seems to be that one or two of the Bristows elements will be taken on ar amalgamated under the FBH banner, although I believe the engineering side at Redhill will not be one of these. Rumour has it that the Redhill engineering side will be shut down and potentially would be moved to a more cost effective site within 10-15 miles of the aerodrome.
It should be stressed that as far as I am aware, this is not a closed case and as with all this sort of thing, the basic plan will most likely be changed as it develops.

Hippolite
21st Jun 2004, 12:41
Alan Bristow is not a Sir but an OBE. He was never knighted.

I don't think that the Europen arm of Bristow is for sale. I also hear that Redhill may be closing...an office near Gtawick I heard. The SAR stuff and other Government work will probably go to FBH. The Offshore stuff will concentrate in Aberdeen.

Interesting times ahead.

HH:cool:

Red Kaye
21st Jun 2004, 14:47
I heard SAR isn't going to FBH any more but staying with Bristow Europe.

Red K

Heliport
2nd Jul 2004, 20:02
Surrey Online report: Helicopter firm chops jobs

A HELICOPTER firm which runs out of Redhill Aerodrome is axing at least 138 jobs.

Bristow Helicopters is closing down its technical services division, but the firm has denied it intends to pull out of Redhill completely.
A company spokesman said the closure had been forced by growing competition and under-performance.

Staff affected by the closure were advised of their redundancies 10 days ago and are now involved in a consultation process with AMICUS officials, which could last a couple of months.
The spokesman said: "Where possible, staff may be redeployed or relocated. "But inevitably there will be a fair number of redundancies.
"We anticipate, as a consequence, some general administrative support jobs will also go, though it is not possible to put a figure on those at this point."
The job losses will leave a residual workforce of about 80 to 90 in Redhill.

The closure of the technical services operation followed a major review of the business, leading to restructuring of the company, with each of its operating units being set up as an individual business. This showed the technical services division was not performing well as a separate business.

One employee facing redundancy said there was a growing fear among staff of "a hidden agenda". The man, who asked not to be named, said: "A lot of us believe sooner rather than later the company will shed its links with Redhill and relocate closer to its offshore opera-tions."

The closure of the technical services means that the business will focus on providing helicopter transportation in the North Sea and European area.

SASless
3rd Jul 2004, 00:31
Tick....Tick....Tick....Tick.....Tick.....(sound of time running out!)

What a shame...to have known Redhill at its best....and to see it now. I remember those morning walks to the airfield from the company guest houses , the long evenings in the Lakers, breakfast at Fred's, dinner at Mrs. B's....the one Abba record in the cellar bar....Jack Trigg holding forth on Hunters at the Chequers...the nice people at the Mill House...and the real comradadrie of other Bristow people passing through from all parts of the world. Gentlemen like George Puddy, Tommy the Cane Sword radiator killer....right then ...time for a pint!:{