PDA

View Full Version : ME/IR Renewals

luckyPierre
18th Jun 2004, 15:02
I did not realise this until recently but if you have a Multi IR that needs renewing it can be done on an FNPT 2.
For those of us not in a position to fork out a fortune on doing it in a twin this charter company at West Wales Airport in Aberporth will renew your rating in the sim for 375 quid.

Ive just renewed mine with them and was very impressed with the service. Price includes a couple of hours in the sim and the test.

If interested call them on 01239 811100.

scroggs
18th Jun 2004, 18:04
We're getting complaints that posts such as that above can be construed as advertising. I'd just like to point out to all those potential complainers that the vast majority of such posts are made by genuine students of the schools mentioned, and are intended simply to bring your attention to a supplier that the poster thinks is worthwhile. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and we welcome such posts - as we equally welcome those that tell us about suppliers to avoid (so long as it is not the 'I heard from a mate...' type of post).

I would ask that those who would place such posts state clearly that they are nothing to do with the company mentioned, and that they identify exactly what service they have received from the company - as luckyPierre has done.

We consider as advertising those posts where the poster has a direct financial interest in the service or product mentioned in the post. We have ways of detecting those suppliers that pose as 'students' talking up their product.....

Scroggs

18th Jun 2004, 18:16
It doesn't revalidate an MEP tho.............

That has to be done in the real thing......

easymoney
21st Jun 2004, 07:27
No need to renew your ME class rating if you are one of the many waiting for your first break with an airline. ME class rating is not required to start a Type Rating Course, so if you are not flying ME from one renewal to the next, why bother renewing it.

Renewed mine at Aberporth..........not associated with the school and would highly recommend it.

Very enjoyable two days prep and test.

pinkpilot
22nd Jun 2004, 14:51
If you dont renew your ME class rating, do you then have to do a LPC like you would have to do if you let your SEP lapse???

How can multi IR be valid if the ME isnt, is it because it is renewed in a sim and not the aircraft?? I have been trying to find the wording in JAR FCL but Im not having much luck.

I think when you finally achieve that wonderful pass at the initial IR you tend to forget that it is only valid for another 354 days!!

Pp

GARDENER
22nd Jun 2004, 15:26
My understanding is that if you do your initial IR on a ME a/c then you have a MEIR throughout regardless of the ME bit not being renewed. As stated earlier in this thread no real point in having the ME bit renewed if you are not going to use it.

Voeni
23rd Jun 2004, 07:21
Did the same as luckyPierre, definitely much cheaper.

I think, renew the ME-Rating shows that you're still taking efforts to hold your level and skills. If I was working in a recruitment office, I'd definitely prefer the one who renewed his rating. Just doing nothing won't help you finding a job nowadays... just my thoughts...

pilottom10
24th Jun 2004, 22:34
I renewed my IR last year on the sim at Tayflite in Perth, but it was not that cheap. There was quite a few sessions in the sim(thank goodness it was 125 p.h.), they didn't recommend you go for the renewal until they were happy you would pass, no bad thing there, but it was over 1000 and its getting on for that this year. They have an in house examiner.
One friend told me that the renewal should almost be a foregone conclusion. Not in this case, it was almost as tough as the initial.
But if you don't meet the standard then the examiner should not renew it?

Do you think I am wasting my money, should I go else where and buy my renewal?

Thoughts and comments please.

Tom

oskar
25th Jun 2004, 08:12
hi tom,

My experience of the school you mentioned is not a good one and i do not want to bore you with the details. If you do a search thred you will find a few schools recommended, one of which i believe mulitflight is good and also mike boulton in bournemouth, he has a great system of getting renewals completed without waisting your money and time. I dont have his number but Its somewhere on pprune if you do a search, I think his website is www.sts.co.uk.

Good luck

high-flyer
27th Jun 2004, 16:34
All,

Mike Boulton comes recommended from me. Renewed with Simulator Training Services (www.simulatortrainingservices.co.uk) not www.sts.co.uk last year, and will be doing so again in a few weeks.

Thoroughly enjoyable couple of days prep, then test, which was fine.....with the former head of CAA flight examiner team!!

Check him out.

high-flyer

Blackshift
27th Jun 2004, 22:36
pilottom10,

If your renewal were almost a foregone conclusion, then it would be pretty pointless.

I too renewed with Tayflite last year and will be doing so this year. Last year I hadn't done any IF since my initial, and the renewal cost around £800 (inc. test fee) once I got up to speed.

If I had been involved in instrument flying to any extent beforehand - perhaps giving IMC instruction or even just been through an MCC course - I'm sure the time and cost involved could have been halved.

The bottom line is that if you're out of the loop, you're going to need retraining. Any training establishment which does not keep your skills up to date is poor value for money irrespective of whether or not you subsequently scrape through the test.

pilottom10
1st Jul 2004, 23:08
Just to set the record straight, I dont think it should be a foregone conclusion.

Quote from my last post

"But if you don't meet the standard then the examiner should not renew it?"

That is always the overriding consideration in any flight test.

But I would like to say thanks for the suggestion regarding Mike B. I actualy trianed at SFT before they went bust and know the set up there quite well. Mike is a 1st class sim instructor and if it wasn't for the distance(i live in edinburgh) then I would have been back there.

I think the lesson for all who are considering any form of training or renewal is to shop around. See what type of approach various organisations have to courses. Pick the one that best suits your circumstances.

Cheers Tom

skyman68
2nd Jul 2004, 21:45
I really think the best way to renew our licenses is to go to the USA. considering you pay 130$ for a seminole instead of 300 pounds/hour.It is crazy not to spend one week in florida and in same time go to the sea...
Am I wrong???